Symmetry issue

I have a rocket with four boosters mounted on each side of a central booster. I am trying to make it into two sets of two boosters around the core so I can drop two of them separately from the other two. If I remove one of the 4 of course all 4 come off but when I try to reset to a bi symmetry it keeps attaching as a quad symmetry. It is not letting me bi-symmetrical. I want to keep it as two bi symmetries since I plan to flow fuel from two booster into the other two and those two into the core and drop each set of two separately.

Is there something I am missing?

Bruce

trying to do two - but keeps resetting to 4 - I even tried removing one opposing set from symmetry and then pulling off but still goes back to 4. Honestly I have tried so many different things I cannot remember all the things I tried.

First off, are you on console or PC? This is far easier on PC because you have the keyboard.

Secondly, whenever you set symmetry to be on (anything other than 1, aka no symmetry) and your mouse happens to touch ANYTHING that's already on symmetry, the game flips your symmetry to that number.

So here's what I'm guessing you do. You mouse down, click the symmetry button until it says 2, then mouse back up to your ship and on the way, your mouse goes over something with 4-symmetry. Bam, you're now in 4-symmetry.

The solution is to stop clicking with the mouse. Instead, use X to cycle through your symmetry numbers, while your mouse is up where you want the thing to be attached.

This will NOT allow you to place 2-symmetry parts on 4-symmetry attached decouplers. As others have said, you must place the entire radial assemblage you made, starting at the decouplers or cubic struts or whatever, as one entire piece.

Edited by Superfluous J

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.