Chaos is a ladder...

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

The solution: dispense with the craft so there's nothing to lose contact with, then warp to your heart's content.

Long distance precision Kerbal bowling...love it! :D

You score a strike on Minmus, have 10 points and a spot on the leader board.

57 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Tylo landing complete!

Great mission report! Have 160 points and the current top spot on the leader board.

I liked the use of Breaking Ground hinges for the "klaw" mechanism and the teamwork between the multiple vessels.

57 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Blast!  I just saw that Commnet was optional!  That would've made my life a whole lot easier!

Doing things the unnecessarily hard way is very much in the spirit of this challenge. :)

Edited by ManEatingApe

Oh. A ladder launcher challenge? I will definitely try this.

And for the record, I shall be using commnet.

Not an entry but progress on a design. It reaches orbit on Kerbin.

DGZpzII.png

Rl2oMgj.png

650LFRx.png

3EnMFvh.png

pALV0Ar.png

Edited by Pds314

I've realized you've created not insignificant incentives to bring the Kerbal "Back" to Eve instead of Kerbin xD.

Especially for outer planet missions where dropping to Kerbin and dropping to Eve are basically the same thing.

I kinda wanna send out a half dozen overpowered little Tylo landers and that two-stage spaceplane shown in my previous comment on some massive fuel bus, sweeping through all of the high value targets of the outer system, and then send a "return" mission to Eve.

Edited by Pds314

8 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

I've realized you've created not insignificant incentives to bring the Kerbal "Back" to Eve instead of Kerbin xD.

Especially for outer planet missions where dropping to Kerbin and dropping to Eve are basically the same thing.

Well, since lithobraking on the final destination was ruled out, EVE is a bit more complex than Kerbin.

Hmmm....  I've had another thought.  @ManEatingApe, you said:

On 6/1/2020 at 2:59 PM, ManEatingApe said:

:D Nice try...I guess "transport" was slightly ambiguous! Rules clarified that the Kerbal should be alive and intact. Psychological trauma is still an option. :confused:

(Perhaps you should update the original post?)

But you didn't say "at rest with respect to the surface".   Could lithobraking be back on the table? :)

Is it possible to actually hit a body, have *most* of the spacecraft and the Kerbal survive the impact, and carry on to another body?

Admittedly, it's kind of silly.  But now I'm wondering if it's actually possible on the smaller airless bodies.

7 hours ago, Pds314 said:

You could also deposit them on Moho <cough cough> :)
A Jool->Moho transfer is a bargain at only ~8,800 m/s.

7 hours ago, Jacke said:

Hmmm....  I've had another thought.  @ManEatingApe, you said:

(Perhaps you should update the original post?)

But you didn't say "at rest with respect to the surface".   Could lithobraking be back on the table? :)

Is it possible to actually hit a body, have *most* of the spacecraft and the Kerbal survive the impact, and carry on to another body?

Admittedly, it's kind of silly.  But now I'm wondering if it's actually possible on the smaller airless bodies.

This kind of creative out-of-the-box thinking is why I love challenges on this forum!

I like the idea of skipping a Kerbal of the surface of a planet like skipping a stone on a lake. However I'm gonna stick with the traditional definition of landing: Stationary relative to the surface, alive and intact touching the surface. The main reason is that while I don't have a problem with skipping off Gilly or Pol at say 40 m/s, I'm sure that someone would figure out how to graze Tylo at 2km/s or something else ridiculous which would undermine the spirit of the challenge.

As some encouragement you can still litho-brake to a standstill as much as you like as long as the Kerbal survives, for example like @Vanamonde 's entry

2 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

You could also deposit them on Moho <cough cough> :)
A Jool->Moho transfer is a bargain at only ~8,800 m/s.

This kind of creative out-of-the-box thinking is why I love challenges on this forum!

I like the idea of skipping a Kerbal of the surface of a planet like skipping a stone on a lake. However I'm gonna stick with the traditional definition of landing: Stationary relative to the surface, alive and intact touching the surface. The main reason is that while I don't have a problem with skipping off Gilly or Pol at say 40 m/s, I'm sure that someone would figure out how to graze Tylo at 2km/s or something else ridiculous which would undermine the spirit of the challenge.

As some encouragement you can still litho-brake to a standstill as much as you like as long as the Kerbal survives, for example like @Vanamonde 's entry

Eeloo -> Moho does eventually line up for a 6860 Delta-V transfer from and to 20-kilometer orbits. Although it's after several years and it also takes over 2 years. Add ~1000 for the actual landing. Call it 8k Delta-V rounding up. You can probably do that in a 7-tonne vehicle if you don't mind having the TWR be like 0.3 initially. Granted, you need to put that 7-tonne vehicle in Low Eeloo Orbit.

Of course, you need a relay, but it's not THAT bad since you could always send that beforehand.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.