Can I install ksp latest version on my PC? Specs below

Do you have a dedicated GPU or is that a laptop using onboard graphics?

And looking at your other thread: if you want to use the latest version to use the DLCs you can pretty much forget it. The base game alone hardly fits into 4GB of RAM. With DLC it needs even more and that would lead either to frequent crashes or extremely long loading times.

RAM is pretty low, you might have problems with crashes/freezes. If you’re on a 32-bit version of Windows then there’s nothing you can do about it, but if you have a 64-bit version then you can buy more RAM and plug it into your PC (laptops are a bit trickier but still possible) which will make the game run more smoothly.

If you’re after the best looking version, you might struggle without a dedicated graphics card and you’ll probably need to turn some things down/off to improve game performance- terrain scatters and reflections both eat into frame rates.

I ran KSP up until very recently on an i3 with 8gb ram, but it ran on 4gb for a while.   Upgrading your ram is probably pretty cheap and easy to do.  Do that, and you'll run KSP, but it might be laggy a bit with big ships.    You will probably be able to play KSP without any Mods or DLC with what you have now.

It runs with 4G ram, but you have to be careful with mods and number of parts.

Edit:

Just checked and my game with the BG DLC and very light modding draws 3G in flight with a 25 pcs ship.

But just 1G is dangerously narrow for OS and support.

Oh, and that's on Ubuntu 20.04, can't say anything about other OSes

Edited by Curveball Anders

On 6/10/2020 at 7:27 PM, quangdinh said:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel Core i5 2.4 GhZ

4GB RAM

It's similar to my rig (2012 Mac Mini) and with the basic non-DLC game and no mods it should not have any issues. As others have said, you have to pick and choose carefully what mods you put on the game. With only 4 gigs of RAM your not going to be able to use much.

FWIW, I would increase your RAM to as much as your motherboard can handle, and choose RAM with the lowest latency numbers.

I played for a long while on a laptop with Win10 and 4 gigs of RAM, so I can say from experience that it will run, but you will really suffer from long (20+ minutes) loading times and constant lag from your OS furiously working your pagefile, even without any mods that add a lot of parts to the game and without literally anything other than Steam running in the background.

Once I got another 8 gigs of RAM into the system, the game ran a whole lot better (to the point where I can actually watch Youtube videos in HD on my second monitor while playing KSP and neither the video nor the game stutters; before, I couldn't even run Chrome without my PC completely freezing up from a full RAM). So I highly recommend you do the same because if you don't, there's a high chance you will be disappointed and discouraged by how badly the game will run.

3 hours ago, Fraktal said:

but you will really suffer from long (20+ minutes) loading times

I dunno, suffer is such a harsh word.  :D.   I used it as time to make dinner.   I'd load up KSP, do some chores around the house, make dinner, and then sit down at the computer with my favorite game and a warm meal.   I considered it a reward for being a productive adult. 

On 6/11/2020 at 3:03 PM, Harry Rhodan said:

Do you have a dedicated GPU or is that a laptop using onboard graphics?

And looking at your other thread: if you want to use the latest version to use the DLCs you can pretty much forget it. The base game alone hardly fits into 4GB of RAM. With DLC it needs even more and that would lead either to frequent crashes or extremely long loading times.

A laptop with DirectX 12

Edited by quangdinh

On 6/11/2020 at 4:11 PM, jimmymcgoochie said:

RAM is pretty low, you might have problems with crashes/freezes. If you’re on a 32-bit version of Windows then there’s nothing you can do about it, but if you have a 64-bit version then you can buy more RAM and plug it into your PC (laptops are a bit trickier but still possible) which will make the game run more smoothly.

If you’re after the best looking version, you might struggle without a dedicated graphics card and you’ll probably need to turn some things down/off to improve game performance- terrain scatters and reflections both eat into frame rates.

My Windows is 64-bit

DirectX 12

Edited by quangdinh

5 hours ago, quangdinh said:

A laptop with DirectX 12

DirectX 12 is a software, not a GPU.

Just try it. Copy your save files to somewhere save or even copy the whole game folder to somewhere else and then install the current version to see how it behaves.

18 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

DirectX 12 is a software, not a GPU.

Just try it. Copy your save files to somewhere save or even copy the whole game folder to somewhere else and then install the current version to see how it behaves.

I knew it before.

I downloaded the DirectX 12 from Microsoft.

My GPU is Intel(R) HD Graphic Family

So, you can't know can my laptop handle ksp latest version, right?

Edited by quangdinh

9 minutes ago, quangdinh said:

I knew it before.

I downloaded the DirectX 12 from Microsoft.

So, you can't know can my laptop handle ksp latest version, right?

Pretty sure we've said we're pretty sure it can, but without any DLC or many mods.   Upgrading your RAM should be fairly cheap and trivial to do if you eventually want to take that route.     Give it a try, see if it runs.   If it doesn't work, I know Steam has a refund policy that you can use. 

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Pretty sure we've said we're pretty sure it can, but without and DLC or many mods.   Upgrading your RAM should be fairly cheap and trivial to do if you eventually want to take that route.     Give it a try, see if it runs.   If it doesn't work, I know Steam has a refund policy that you can use. 

Can my laptop handle ksp 1.7.3 with breaking ground expansion, kerbal aircraft expansion, airplaneplus, firespitter, fantomworks, quiztech aero pack and kerbonov?

Depends on what else you have loaded and running on that computer.

The answer to that specific question is "No idea.   But you should really just try it and see".

Buy the game through steam.  If it doesn't work, get a refund.    Nothing lost, everything to gain. 

9 hours ago, quangdinh said:

That is still not your GPU. This is just telling you, that your specific GPU is part of a family of onboard chips that has seen multiple generations of different chips since 2010. The same goes for your CPU. To find the specific models you're actually using you could try to use a tool like CPU-Z.

An integrated CPU like that is using the same RAM as the rest of your system, meaning that you can actually use less RAM for games and Windows itself.

9 hours ago, quangdinh said:

Can my laptop handle ksp 1.7.3 with breaking ground expansion, kerbal aircraft expansion, airplaneplus, firespitter, fantomworks, quiztech aero pack and kerbonov?

We already told you that 4GB will hardly be enough for the DLC and now you want to add mods on top? I would say the easiest way to find out how it behaves is to install that version, install the mods and maybe Infernal robotics and then see if it still playable and how much memory you've left. Depending on that you might be able to guesstimate if you can still fit in the DLC. But as the others said: in the long run you'll need to upgrade your RAM.

Edited by Harry Rhodan

Alright im entering here

My PC was 4GB RAM and an HDD

KSP 1.7.3 was loading pretty slow with both DLCs and some mods, 1.8.0 did a lot faster.

17 hours ago, quangdinh said:

Yes

7 hours ago, Commodoregamer118 said:

Alright im entering here

KSP 1.7.3 was loading pretty slow with both DLCs and some mods, 1.8.0 did a lot faster.

Yes

What about 1.8.1

I

17 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

That is still not your GPU. This is just telling you, that your specific GPU is part of a family of onboard chips that has seen multiple generations of different chips since 2010. The same goes for your CPU. To find the specific models you're actually using you could try to use a tool like CPU-Z.

An integrated CPU like that is using the same RAM as the rest of your system, meaning that you can actually use less RAM for games and Windows itself.

We already told you that 4GB will hardly be enough for the DLC and now you want to add mods on top? I would say the easiest way to find out how it behaves is to install that version, install the mods and maybe Infernal robotics and then see if it still playable and how much memory you've left. Depending on that you might be able to guesstimate if you can still fit in the DLC. But as the others said: in the long run you'll need to upgrade your RAM.

'm using the latest one of that gpu family

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 2:03 AM, Commodoregamer118 said:

Alright im entering here

Yes

I have a HARD DISK DRIVE(HDD), too

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.