Is there any way to import the new high-res planet textures to an older version of KSP?

Pipcard

I have a save that I started in 2013 on the day I got the game (KASDA), that I can't update past 1.1.3 due to certain mods. I want to keep playing this save but I also want to experience the new textures for Duna, Laythe, etc. Is it possible to import those textures? Or are there mods that are similar to that?

Edited by Pipcard

@Pipcard I know nothing about how the new planet textures actually work, but I've had a cursory look around in the KSP files and I don't think they're available in the same way that the part textures are. They're probably locked behind the asset bundles, so only the developers can access them. There might be incompatibilities even if you do get your hands on them though, due to 1.1.3 being a few Unity versions ago, I'm not sure.

You could try out Stock Visual Terrain though. I don't know if it's available for your version.

Each to their own but you're missing out on a lot of quality of life upgrades if you're still on 1.1.3 - I'd probably look at having two installs if I had a save I desperately wanted to keep.

Just out of curiosity, which mods can't you update? Maybe someone will be able to suggest alternatives for you :)

7 hours ago, Pipcard said:

I have a save that I started in 2013 on the day I got the game (KASDA), that I can't update past 1.1.3 due to certain mods. I want to keep playing this save but I also want to experience the new textures for Duna, Laythe, etc. Is it possible to import those textures? Or are there mods that are similar to that?

No, they upgraded the Unity engine and completely overhauled those textures by using new shaders, etc. Essentially impossible.

Edited by MechBFP

7 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@Pipcard I know nothing about how the new planet textures actually work, but I've had a cursory look around in the KSP files and I don't think they're available in the same way that the part textures are. They're probably locked behind the asset bundles, so only the developers can access them. There might be incompatibilities even if you do get your hands on them though, due to 1.1.3 being a few Unity versions ago, I'm not sure.

You could try out Stock Visual Terrain though. I don't know if it's available for your version.

SVT works in 1.1.3. That is the kind of mod I was looking for, thank you.

2 hours ago, MR L A said:

Each to their own but you're missing out on a lot of quality of life upgrades if you're still on 1.1.3 - I'd probably look at having two installs if I had a save I desperately wanted to keep.

Just out of curiosity, which mods can't you update? Maybe someone will be able to suggest alternatives for you :)

KerbPaint. If I update, my interplanetary flagship "Negi Maru" (negi = green onion) will lose its distinctive green color.

BQVUSWj.png

When I was updating to 1.1.3 in 2017, I also had a spaceplane that would lose its color if I updated to 1.2. (someone made an update for KerbPaint for 1.2, but it doesn't work with the Mk2 fuselage)

H69mU4J.png

Edited by Pipcard

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Pipcard I can't give you any clear instructions but you can substitute KerbPaint with Textures Unlimited and the TU Recolor Depot.

I have more ships using KerbPaint (like mining vessels) spread across the Kerbol system. If it means losing those colors and having to launch them all over again, that is not a viable option.

1 hour ago, Pipcard said:

I have more ships using KerbPaint (like mining vessels) spread across the Kerbol system. If it means losing those colors and having to launch them all over again, that is not a viable option.

I haven't really used any part recolouring mods before but my impression is that if you updated to a more recent KSP version and replaced KerbPaint with Textures Unlimited, you might be able to restore your colours by editing the save file. Using a tool like KML might help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.