Twitter b1tcoin hack...

tater

Hard to imagine anyone stupid enough to fall for it, but Elon Musk, Bill Gates, Apple Computer, and a bunch of other accounts got hacked and are doing the usual "giving back" scam you see, but from their actual accounts.

6 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Hopefully the hackers will get caught. These bitcoin scams have been going on for quite a while, and people are still falling for them. 

Difference is they are in the replies to Elon, etc, from accounts with the same pic, diff name, etc. These are from the real accounts. They got Biden, Obama...

14 minutes ago, tater said:

Difference is they are in the replies to Elon, etc, from accounts with the same pic, diff name, etc. These are from the real accounts. They got Biden, Obama...

Yes, this is quite unprecedented. These hackers should be found, strapped to the inside of F9 interstage and given a ride share with the next Starlink mission.

Hmm, let’s see... they’ll suffocate, then get roasted by MVac, then freeze in space, then get roasted again during reentry. All of that within mere minutes, so maybe there’s a chance of survival?..

Edited by sh1pman

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Yes, this is quite unprecedented. These hackers should be found, strapped to the inside of F9 interstage and given a ride share with the next Starlink mission.

Hmm, let’s see... they’ll suffocate, then get roasted by MVac, then freeze in space, then get roasted again during reentry. All of that within mere minutes, so maybe there’s a chance of survival?..

Oh, they won't freeze. The body takes an extremely long time to freeze in vacuum. They may not get roasted too bad by Mvac either.

41 minutes ago, tater said:

I would not be surprised if this was in fact a State actor.

Lots of places I can think of that can use some hard currency at this point. Also lots of places where the line between "state actor" and "organized crime" is pretty blurry.

40 minutes ago, tater said:

What’s a couple of bitcoins to a state? If this was a state, they’d do something more malicious than a typical bitcoin scam.

10 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

What’s a couple of bitcoins to a state? If this was a state, they’d do something more malicious than a typical bitcoin scam.

Data from people who click on the website might be more valuable than any money they make.

9 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Not about making money.

Steaming a CVBG past someplace isn't about breaking stuff, either, it's projecting power.

If it was about money, there would have been better ways to do it. They can hack twitter (gotta be server side, too many accounts), but they do a bitcoin scam and make enough to buy a nice car? They could have tweeted from Musk and Bezos in a way that tanked AMZN and TSLA (after shorting same)... dunno, seems like better ways to have profited off of this given the power.

3 minutes ago, tater said:

Not about making money.

Steaming a CVBG past someplace isn't about breaking stuff, either, it's projecting power.

If it was about money, there would have been better ways to do it. They can hack twitter (gotta be server side, too many accounts), but they do a bitcoin scam and make enough to buy a nice car? They could have tweeted from Musk and Bezos in a way that tanked AMZN and TSLA (after shorting same)... dunno, seems like better ways to have profited off of this given the power.

Well, shorting Twitter at this point wouldn't be a bad plan of action if you wanted to make money. It also discredits the platform in general, and possibly the figures who were hacked. So, figure out who benefits from that.

8 minutes ago, tater said:

Anyone here read Fall, or Dodge in hell? There's a bit in there that this reminds me of.

(regarding social media)

Moab. It doesn't strike me as...spectacular enough.

Edited by TheSaint

43 minutes ago, tater said:

You can get banned for saying things that are not racist on twitter.

I've never been banned from Twitter so I don't know what they look for, but I expect cyberhackers may be better at not getting caught than those that have been.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I've never been banned from Twitter so I don't know what they look for, but I expect cyberhackers may be better at not getting caught than those that have been.

I just know that accounts are suspended for completely mundane posts about reality that have become political now. Illuminating them likely leaves KSP rules, so I won't.

Also, was insider twitter tool:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jgxd3d/twitter-insider-access-panel-account-hacks-biden-uber-bezos

12 hours ago, tater said:

Either that or a really big flaw somewhere in the implementation. Humans are always the weakest link however.

At this point in time, most of the largest internet services should consider themselves on the same level as banks or utility/transport/infrastructure provider... at least from the security stringency requirement side. I know that a lot of stuff on the internet are less secure simply because distance isn't a thing at all, nothing to do with the implementation. You can also cut time by adding processing power, something much harder to do with physical stuff, and everything is tried 24/7 because time zones aren't a thing (thanks to lack of distance).

It's also not helping given the duality of anonymous / real identity types on the internet (it could even be argued that part of why the internet exist as-is is because of the anonymity; and it's not like you can't try to be discreet).

Well, when you look at the actual security of banks, utility and trnsports, I can guarantee you that Twitter, and other platforms, are on par with that.

Something that bank did understood, is that you cannot avoid being breached. What matters is how you react to the breach. And also what you can afford to be breached. Most of the time, when you're victim of a bank fraud (either by impersonation, someone getting your credentials, credit and debit card fraud, etc), banks acts as insurance and just reimburse you. They are so big that the few bucks that you lost means nothing to them, so they'll just reimburse you. That's been pushed a bit too far in my mind, since now banks are not really about security anymore. Anyone with metasploit and a bit of digging (and yes I mean anyone, you do not need a fancy computer or software, and the needed knowledge can be found online, see Phineas Fisher) can rob a bank in a day those days.

The thing is, state actor or not, this is not about security. I suspect the security around the admin panel for verified account is kind of locked down. It must remains usable though, so yeah, humans happens. This is about trust in the platform. If verified, and I need to check this, but it seems to me that all of the account were verified ones, and that only verified ones were affected). Which means that the social value of being verified is the direct target of the attack. You do not blow up the act that you got access to a twitter admin panel for some hundred thousands bucks. There's way more profitable way to use it, probably without being noticed for a while.

The actual target is the trust society puts into twitter and the verified accounts. Which are at the core of the business model of twitter (assuming they finally got one). The stock value of Twitter took a 5% hit (https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/twtr), which might represent more value than the fiducial value of some bitcoins. So I guess someone is after Twitter Inc., can be a company, can be an insider, can be a state actor. We probably won't know for sure before long.

Anyway, robs banks, don't trust verified ID, burn stuff.

It seems realy strange they just went for some bitcoins. Having access to such high level Twitter accounts would open way bigger possibilities. It just starts at stock market manipulation, e.g. Elon Musk "announcing" that Tesla is being bought by Apple and them confirming it. When it comes to political twitter accounts (especialy Trumps) there is great potential to cause real life violence.

Edited by Elthy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.