Crater lake express

A remake of the famous "island express challenge. But on a bigger scale. Yep. Now we are going to go to the island in the middle of crater lake.

The goal is simple: Go to the island in the middle of Crater lake on Kerbin in the least time. Coordinates: 8.712158, -179.395752

Rules:

1. No autopilot mods like MechJeb
  2. No terrain-changing mods like RSS
  3. One kerbal must be ferried to the island
  4. Your kerbal must survive
  5. You can use the external seat
  6. Decoupling is allowed
  7. Rockets are allowed
  8. You can only launch from the KSC (runway or launchpad)
  9. Kerbal parachutes are not allowed.

Judges:

1. @Klapaucius
  2. @krautfed1

3. @ralanboyle

If you create a badge for this challenge, I will post your name under the badge.

Leader board:

1. @ralanboyle at 10 min. 33 sec. with a rocket/plane
  2. @zanie420 at 10min. 40sec. with a plane
  3. @krautfed1 at 15min 48sec with a plane
  4. @Klapaucius at 15 min. 57sec. with a plane
Edited by Cant think of a username

I'm sure this will be quickly beaten, but this is my submission on air breathers only. I can do better (did not line up well and had to make a course correction and did not maintain a consistent speed), but it is midnight, I just saw this, and we are heading away tomorrow.  I wanted to sneak one in.

I reused my Shirley plane, minus the drag chutes, which was originally built for my  Aircraft Drag Race Challenge.

15 minutes, 57 seconds.

Edited by Klapaucius

3 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

I'm sure this will be quickly beaten, but this is my submission on air breathers only. I can do better (did not line up well and had to make a course correction and did not maintain a consistent speed), but it is midnight, I just saw this, and we are heading away tomorrow.  I wanted to sneak one in.

I reused my Shirley plane, minus the drag chutes, which was originally built for my  Aircraft Drag Race Challenge.

15 minutes, 57 seconds.

Nice! Nice that you didn't crash apon landing! Enjoy your position as a Judge!

I'm a newbie here, this is my 2nd challenge. I'm terrible at designed stable aircraft so I figured this was a go. Funny thing is I did my first attempt successfully with one of my more stable aircraft, only to realize after I landed, it was a UAV drone with no Kerbal. :confused:

So I re-did my aircraft dubbing it the Nostril-Damus 1 due to twin front intakes. I setup to launch from the pad using a stand clamp, with launch requiring ramp up of engines to get TWR greater than 1, then action group to unclamp. Worked like a charm. I'm clueless as to the efficiency of engines but in my mind I wanted to fly high altitude to lower air density for heat. I don't know if I did it right, but I got there. Landing was uneventful which is almost never the case for me.

15min 48sec is my time in the Nostril-Damus 1. 

I had so much fuel left over, I flew back to KSC to test out speeds and altitudes. I think I could improve slightly.

Spoiler

VAB:

qxw1Gpe.png

Beautiful launch:

9nb6G3y.png

Things are spicy at 1400m/s

KcBNtZq.png

Island in view:

MjUPiBT.png

Pretty much coasting at this point:

mb4Fgrm.png

Successfully stopped intact at 15:48:

86AyHHV.png

Mitrod EVA:

Us759cM.png

1 hour ago, krautfed1 said:

I'm a newbie here, this is my 2nd challenge. I'm terrible at designed stable aircraft so I figured this was a go. Funny thing is I did my first attempt successfully with one of my more stable aircraft, only to realize after I landed, it was a UAV drone with no Kerbal. :confused:

So I re-did my aircraft dubbing it the Nostril-Damus 1 due to twin front intakes. I setup to launch from the pad using a stand clamp, with launch requiring ramp up of engines to get TWR greater than 1, then action group to unclamp. Worked like a charm. I'm clueless as to the efficiency of engines but in my mind I wanted to fly high altitude to lower air density for heat. I don't know if I did it right, but I got there. Landing was uneventful which is almost never the case for me.

15min 48sec is my time in the Nostril-Damus 1. 

I had so much fuel left over, I flew back to KSC to test out speeds and altitudes. I think I could improve slightly.

Nice! Love how you decided to launch from the launch pad. The runway is in the opposite direction, so I guess @Klapaucius took 10 seconds doing a backflip :)

Okay, those are some fast airplanes but I went a little more "Kerbalesque." I'm not sure if we are timing to touchdown or full stop. So touchdown is 10:33 and full stop is 10:41.  With practice, I bet I could do sub-9 minutes. Sorry the audio is weird, I noticed after posting and can't be bothered to fix it. 

Edited by ralanboyle
Edit

29 minutes ago, ralanboyle said:

Okay, those are some fast airplanes but I went a little more "Kerbalesque." I'm not sure if we are timing to touchdown or full stop. So touchdown is 10:33 and full stop is 10:41.  With practice, I bet I could do sub-9 minutes. Sorry the audio is weird, I noticed after posting and can't be bothered to fix it. 

Great. First rocket attempt! Also enjoy your position as judge!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.