Official v0.17 Release thread

Capt'n Skunky

New Part Balancing: :):):):)

Nuclear Rocket Engine: :):):):):)

Fewer Lock-Ups: :):):):)

I'm very happy so far.

I've started to get the hang of lofting the very heavy setups that are required to get the interplanetary craft into space. My first manned mission to Minums is on the way, currently in orbit around Mun and still has nearly all its main-stage fuel available. In all likelihood, an identical second vessel will make a voyage to Duna or Eve after the first finishes the Kerbal Grand Tour.

I'm really enjoying this update, and can't wait to see what 0.18 will bring!

I'm suprised how many people are saying performance is improved, and how few I've noticed mentioning serious bugs in this version.

I played for a few hours in KSP 0.17 and I can honestly say I had a horrible experience with it.

Firstly performance I found very bad compared to 0.16. I played 0.16 at full screen and res, full textures, x4 anti-alias. I had to play 0.17 windowed at reduced res with 1/8th textures and alias off to get similar performance.

Staging - Found a nasty issue with staging. I'm not sure what triggers this but I assure you I am not turning on "stage lock". It seems at random on some launches, the stage light will turn red, making staging impossible during this time. Eventually, it will go back to green, but in that time you are utterly helpless if anything happens that means you need to stage, and you'll be wasting fuel dragging spent stages with you if you use a parallel staging set up, which I do.

Nuclear engine - A cool idea in theory, but in practice doesn't work too well. If you're going to have low thrust engines, allow more than x1 time warp while thrusting - waiting 15 minutes to change trajectory is truely argrevating. Especially when you add in my last pet hate from this play-

Space Kraken MK.II - Space Kraken may be "gone" but his bigger brother is here to ruin your day. After my 15 minute wait for the apogee of my orbit to get high enough to leave kerbin orbit and get to the solar system, at the point of transfer suddenly the game glitches. Instead of a circular orbit around the sun, like was being predicted, The velocity has suddenly jammed up to 111000 ms-1. Leaving the solar system!

Annoyingly, I'd hit F5 at the exact moment the glitch occured. Que ragequit.

I will play 0.17, but only for the atmospheric x4, since I've wanted to fly to the poles and KSP 2 again for a while, and time warp makes it tolerable. However the other glitches I think are real game breakers. So far as planets go, I'm going to resist and wait for another patch to come out.

Now I will admit one thing here - I am using mods. Warp clamp mod (0.16), Damned Aerospace (0.16), Mechjeb (0.16 ver). I have other mods but these were on the spacecraft which glitched. Warp clamp I can see maybe causing the worst glitch, but the others not so. But to be honest, without warp clamp I can't see interplanetary being that possible at all to do properly. I am wondering if recording software may be causing the staging issue as well. But other programs running in the background shouldn't be causing such an issue.

<snip>

Nuclear engine - A cool idea in theory, but in practice doesn't work too well. If you're going to have low thrust engines, allow more than x1 time warp while thrusting - waiting 15 minutes to change trajectory is truely argrevating. Especially when you add in my last pet hate from this play-

<snip>

I will play 0.17, but only for the atmospheric x4, since I've wanted to fly to the poles and KSP 2 again for a while, and time warp makes it tolerable. However the other glitches I think are real game breakers. So far as planets go, I'm going to resist and wait for another patch to come out.

<snip>

Press Alt+[.] for a pleasant surprise.

If you hit ALT + . you can access physical time warp.

I'm suprised how many people are saying performance is improved, and how few I've noticed mentioning serious bugs in this version.

I played for a few hours in KSP 0.17 and I can honestly say I had a horrible experience with it.

Firstly performance I found very bad compared to 0.16. I played 0.16 at full screen and res, full textures, x4 anti-alias. I had to play 0.17 windowed at reduced res with 1/8th textures and alias off to get similar performance.

Staging - Found a nasty issue with staging. I'm not sure what triggers this but I assure you I am not turning on "stage lock". It seems at random on some launches, the stage light will turn red, making staging impossible during this time. Eventually, it will go back to green, but in that time you are utterly helpless if anything happens that means you need to stage, and you'll be wasting fuel dragging spent stages with you if you use a parallel staging set up, which I do.

Space Kraken MK.II - Space Kraken may be "gone" but his bigger brother is here to ruin your day. After my 15 minute wait for the apogee of my orbit to get high enough to leave kerbin orbit and get to the solar system, at the point of transfer suddenly the game glitches. Instead of a circular orbit around the sun, like was being predicted, The velocity has suddenly jammed up to 111000 ms-1. Leaving the solar system!

Annoyingly, I'd hit F5 at the exact moment the glitch occured. Que ragequit.

Now I will admit one thing here - I am using mods. Warp clamp mod (0.16), Damned Aerospace (0.16), Mechjeb (0.16 ver). I have other mods but these were on the spacecraft which glitched. Warp clamp I can see maybe causing the worst glitch, but the others not so. But to be honest, without warp clamp I can't see interplanetary being that possible at all to do properly. I am wondering if recording software may be causing the staging issue as well. But other programs running in the background shouldn't be causing such an issue.

There's nothing wrong with staging, it locks on launch.

There is a 4x Off-Rails Physical Time warp, you can use that.

The Nuclear Engine is designed for interplanetary space....try using it for that?

The warp clamp mod is separating your ship and causing the issues, there is no kraken mark 2.

Anything else?

Actually another suggestion for 0.18:

Make multiple decopler working per single decopling part. So if you have huger rockets, it would be nice to be able to have more as one decopler per part, that the thing can be decopled with more force, so it won't crash into the remaining rocket.

There is a new mini SRB called Sepatron or something similar that you can use to eject your part with greater forces.

I recently encountered a strange problem with the transparency of some textures. I downloaded the patch, but when I loaded it back up a while later, the windows, gaps in the launch stabilizers, and the strings in the parachute were SOLID

EXAMPLE: When I try to IVA the windows are opaque grey.

Awesome work, guys! During my first orbit, I sat awestruck as my ship passed over the night side of Kerbin. It was pretty before, but now it's absolutely gorgeous! The new planets are fantastic, and I can't wait to visit them all. Everything feels a lot smoother and the rocket engines feel much more balanced now. I'm so glad I have a week before next term to play around with all this new greatness. Everyone at Squad deserves high praise for yet another amazing update! If I could buy you all a round of beers, I would.

Needless to say, this update brings the game to a whole new level! Planetary exploration, here I come! :D

Although I have noticed something strange: I went on an aerobraking trajectory in Eve's atmosphere with my first interplanetary probe, and all went well, when suddenly at ~90-80 km altitude, the planet's seas quickly vanish, and all what's left is a big, purple sphere. Has anybody else experienced this so far? I'm wondering if it's a bug or some sort of graphics settings glitch...

I'm currently on my first mission to Duna and since I messed everything up I have to let Duna play catch up which with the highest warp, is still going to take a very long time. Can't wait to get there though and naturally Jeb was selected for this mission. Can't wait to explore the planets on their moons as well and I think I might just make a pass of Ike just before Duna if I have enough fuel left.

I'm also enjoying the IVAs a lot so thank you for 0.17 which is my first update (joined in 0.16) and is amazing.

There's nothing wrong with staging, it locks on launch.

There is a 4x Off-Rails Physical Time warp, you can use that.

The Nuclear Engine is designed for interplanetary space....try using it for that?

The warp clamp mod is separating your ship and causing the issues, there is no kraken mark 2.

Anything else?

The Warp clamp mod isn't causing it. There are other people who say they've had this problem, and its caused / aleviated by careful use of time warp - I've got no idea what the sequence is to avoid it and I'm not going to try and learn it.

Also I did use nuclear for interplanetary... Its like watching paint dry.

Yes I know staging locks while loading on the launch pad, it always had alongside other things. but now it happens IN SPACE.

x4 time warp only accessible in atmosphere. If that shortcut a few posts mentioned above works then fine I suppose, but why isnt that part of the normal warp options?

Also, I got all the glitches recorded, so they are here-

enjoy

I miss 2 things:

* Scenario Logic Modules: Like PartModules, but for scene logic (and defined on an SFS file instead of a part.cfg).

* Prebuilt ships included with the game, as examples and possible starting points.

What do you mean by you miss them? If it's that you cant find them both of them are there if you take a closer look (one by looking at the ships in the VAB and the other looking at the save folder and then scenarios) but if I misread your post though, tell me.

What do you mean by you miss them? If it's that you cant find them both of them are there if you take a closer look (one by looking at the ships in the VAB and the other looking at the save folder and then scenarios) but if I misread your post though, tell me.

O I already understand them, tnx.

so there i was, sending a ship to Eve (badly :P)

then this happened

-snip-

i heard this is the Space Cthulu glitch but can someone tell me the actual problem?

When you go to the highest warp and then jump straight down to normal speed then you should expirence a lag spike and during that your ship is ripped apart like what happened to me earlier on my way to Duna.

Also I did use nuclear for interplanetary... Its like watching paint dry.

I just wound up using multiple motors. It's still the most efficient motor in space, but you do need to have a few of them if you want to get anywhere in a decent amount of time.

The biggest issue is IMO this "space Cthulhu"; the ship exploding unexpectedly when you leave the highest level of warp. Right now, it's practically a showstopper for interplanetary missions. I can fix an underpowered ship by attaching more motors, I can't really fix a ship that explodes unexpectedly x(.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.