[Min KSP 1.12.2] Blueshift: Kerbal FTL

Angelo Kerman

On 2/4/2024 at 11:34 PM, Rakete said:

I will test the fix within the next days... please don't expect a fix confirmation until next weekend. A workload-heavy week is ahead, so I guess, I'll fall asleep, after work :-/

Sorry to say so, but I haven't had the time to test the fix yet. Probably won't have the time to do so in the next two weeks. Will report as soon as possible... 

• 2 weeks later...

Short feedback: The fix in the ressource consumption reduction for interstellar travel seems to work according to my first test.

On 3/2/2024 at 5:53 AM, Rakete said:

Short feedback: The fix in the ressource consumption reduction for interstellar travel seems to work according to my first test.

Glad to hear. :) I'm still working (slowly) on the update, so expect more changes later in the month. I plan on finishing the multi-segment warp coils, and I'm working on another device that'll make use of Graviolium...

20 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Glad to hear. :) I'm still working (slowly) on the update, so expect more changes later in the month. I plan on finishing the multi-segment warp coils, and I'm working on another device that'll make use of Graviolium...

That sounds fantastic. Any info to us about the new device? We could give our thoughts (naaaaaah, I am just tooooo curious :D).

Sorry for the waiting time. Currently my time to play games is very limited. But I'll give my bewt to test the new device.

Edited by Rakete

Small victory, but still... Finally figured out how to fix the pitch black endcaps on the mid-section warp coil variants:

xx2fLNM.png

Now I can make the S2 and Mk2 multi-coils, and learn more about how to use Blender- I have an idea to make USS Excelsior-inspired Mk3 warp coils. FYI, these aren't the new device that I'm referring to.

18 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Small victory, but still... Finally figured out how to fix the pitch black endcaps on the mid-section warp coil variants:

xx2fLNM.png

Now I can make the S2 and Mk2 multi-coils, and learn more about how to use Blender- I have an idea to make USS Excelsior-inspired Mk3 warp coils. FYI, these aren't the new device that I'm referring to.

Any small hint, what the new device will be? Give us some crumbs of knowledge :D.

What can the new device do? It may not be a warp engine, since we have them already. It won't be a displacement engine, because they are already covered in KFS... so what will it be? Maybe a gravi-powered super-relay using subspace transmission technology ? (Reginald Karcley thinks of the MIDAS phalanx from Voy)... what could it be, what could it be.... 

I am dying of curiosity... :cool:

Edited by Rakete

Well, it isn’t a jump engine. Though I originally wanted three FTL modes for Blueshift, the warp tech went out of control, so now it has warp and jump gate tech. Warp gets you there eventually, jump gates get you there fast.

Just now, Angelo Kerman said:

Well, it isn’t a jump engine. Though I originally wanted three FTL modes for Blueshift, the warp tech went out of control, so now it has warp and jump gate tech. Warp gets you there eventually, jump gates get you there fast.

And what is on your mind for "the new device"? 

It also isn’t a gravitic engine from Kerbal Flying Saucers, but it is something that I wanted to build before I created the gravity field engine. The gravitic engine was a fallback design, actually…

At any rate, I have to build the other multi-segment warp coils before I can get to the new parts.

Just now, Angelo Kerman said:

It also isn’t a gravitic engine from Kerbal Flying Saucers, but it is something that I wanted to build before I created the gravity field engine. The gravitic engine was a fallback design, actually…

And... it will be... ? A gravitic mass driver to accelerate other vessels into space ?

Give us a hint, pleeeeease :D

27 minutes ago, Rakete said:

And... it will be... ? A gravitic mass driver to accelerate other vessels into space ?

Give us a hint, pleeeeease :D

Ok here is a hint: neutronium has no protons.

21 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Ok here is a hint: neutronium has no protons.

Okay, I should be more precise: please give us an understandable usable hint, what's around the corner in terms of the new device :cool:

Yeah.... got it. Element Zero in terms of the mass effect game series. But what will we be able to do with it? Will we be able to use the device to change the mass of the vehicle like in the lore of MassEffect?

11 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Yeah.... got it. Element Zero in terms of the mass effect game series. But what will we be able to do with it? Will we be able to use the device to change the mass of the vehicle like in the lore of MassEffect?

Yup, that’s the plan. It will interfere with the warp engine and vice versa, but the ship’s mass will be reduced when the part is active. It has to disrupt the warp engine since warp tech is built on vessel mass and the mass effect will mess that up.

21 minutes ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Yup, that’s the plan. It will interfere with the warp engine and vice versa, but the ship’s mass will be reduced when the part is active. It has to disrupt the warp engine since warp tech is built on vessel mass and the mass effect will mess that up.

Mhhhh.... are they intended to be combined? I somehow feel this could have unforeseen side effects. Sure you want to allow mass change and warp tech to be active at the same time on a vessel?

Sidenote: BDA+ has a sci fi turret, that iirc destroys vessels by rapidly changing vessel mass values... changing the mass of parts of an active vessel could summon the kraken. :cool:

Edited by Rakete

24 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Mhhhh.... are they intended to be combined? I somehow feel this could have unforeseen side effects. Sure you want to allow mass change and warp tech to be active at the same time on a vessel?

Sidenote: BDA+ has a sci fi turret, that iirc destroys vessels by rapidly changing vessel mass values... changing the mass of parts of an active vessel could summon the kraken. :cool:

They will not interact. You can either use the warp engine or the mass effect core, but neither at the same time.

10 hours ago, Rakete said:

Sidenote: BDA+ has a sci fi turret, that iirc destroys vessels by rapidly changing vessel mass values...

There is an option to change part mass for beam cannons, but I don't remember if it was ever implemented. There are currently 2 "gravity guns": repulsor and tractor beam, both of them don't mess with mass, they just push/pull things very hard. The first one is good for making a tank that uses tanks as projectiles, the second one is single-use only because you always get smashed by your target whenever you use it.

23 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

They will not interact. You can either use the warp engine or the mass effect core, but neither at the same time.

I like, that they'll work completely different and offer variety in design rules for different vessel propulsion strategies. So you will implement hard locks between each other to prohibit nast side effects, right? Sounds cool.

The mass effect core will result in massive vessel speeds (not translation, where the intial impulse is kept like the warp engines do...) I think the Breaking Ground impact messurement experiments will see maaaaaassive impacts on the mun :cool:. I am almost sure, that I will ram a rocket at almost relativistic speeds into the mun surface. Let's see if we can break those cheap seismic sensors of those deployable experiments. :cool:

12 hours ago, Manul said:

There is an option to change part mass for beam cannons, but I don't remember if it was ever implemented. There are currently 2 "gravity guns": repulsor and tractor beam, both of them don't mess with mass, they just push/pull things very hard. The first one is good for making a tank that uses tanks as projectiles, the second one is single-use only because you always get smashed by your target whenever you use it.

Sure ? Some gun I have in my BDA inventory says in the description, that it alters mass.... but i am not sure which one it was, because i am currently not in range of my computer. It was some two-tipped fork look-a-like sci fi turret, that worked well. Could have been from some BDA extending part pack. I can't look it up right now. I just wanted to say, this mass altering during flight rapidly could be a summoming device for the kraken - which can also be very funny.... like you get a chance of 25% to blow up your vessel due to KSPs physics engine sending you its love. :cool::D

Edited by Rakete

Addendum... the more i think of it, the more i am curious...

Does reducing the mass instantly result in acceleration? In terms of conservation of energy it should, right? 

Or will the mass reduction not result in orbital changes but make the vessel more susceptable to accerlation by applying thrust after Ezo-device-activation? And how will rocket motors will react to the mass reduction (Ziolkowski-Equotion)? Will they reduce thrust due to exhausting less mass? Or will the rocket exhaust have the normal mass and normal thrust due to leaving the Ezo-device's effect range ?

In fact, i am not that hardcore enthusiast, so any nice-gameplay-compatible solution will be fine for me. I am just curios about your concept.... I am really looking forward to it

Edited by Rakete

In game terms, as an example, the ship’s mass will go from 1,000 tonnes to 1 tonne and its engines will suddenly be more powerful. That is how the Mass Effect works too. The field is set up so that engine propellants are somehow not affected by the Mass Effect the moment that combustion occurs. The part will also have a structural integrity field to strengthen joints so the ship doesn’t fly apart.

There is a wiki for how the mass effect works somewhere…

56 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Some gun I have in my BDA inventory says in the description, that it alters mass....

I looked into the config file of a gravity gun, and it really adds 0.25t of mass per hit. But this change hardly makes any difference compared to it's primary effect (pushing things hard).

43 minutes ago, Rakete said:

Does reducing the mass instantly result in acceleration? In terms of conservation of energy it should, right? 

If you don't reduce mass  by ejecting it at high velocity it doesn't.  In terms of conservation, instantly reducing mass would produce the  Δmc2 of energy, mostly in a form of gamma rays, that will result in vaporization rather than acceleration. Turning into a cloud of shiny plasma actually IS acceleration (on atomic and subatomic level) but it's an acceleration in every possible direction simultaneously (physics is not aware in which direction you need to accelerate things). In terms of KSP instantly reducing mass does nothing: you can (mostly) harmlessly jettison 5000 units of ore and suffer only from a minor bounciness.

Edited by Manul

On 3/7/2024 at 10:06 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

In game terms, as an example, the ship’s mass will go from 1,000 tonnes to 1 tonne and its engines will suddenly be more powerful. That is how the Mass Effect works too. The field is set up so that engine propellants are somehow not affected by the Mass Effect the moment that combustion occurs. The part will also have a structural integrity field to strengthen joints so the ship doesn’t fly apart.

There is a wiki for how the mass effect works somewhere…

Yeah, I really see fast ships coming. I mean let's test those impact-o-meters on the mun, right ?! :cool:

Un-kerbaled of course

Edited by Rakete

• 1 month later...

I have this mod installed and yet the parts do not show up in the VAB. Does anyone know what this issue is and how to fix it?

Edited by Aviator01

Never mind, I have successfully troubleshooted the issue. I had Blueshift installed directly into GameData instead of the Wild Blue Industries folder.