Dunas rovers

Le Lynx

you should post this in the gameplay questions section.

anyway, making rovers.... a big argument. and at the same time, a small one.

the simplest way to make a rover is to stick some wheels on your spaceship and landing it. it tends to not make particularly good rovers, though, unless you can really optimize.

when we go to basics, a rover has 4 things:

1) a control core (either manned or unmanned)

2) wheels

3) a power source

4) a way to land on the surface.

without knowing exactly your specific problem, i can give you some basic tips:

- make the wheels large, and the center of mass low; it will make the rover more stable

- build it in the spaceplane hangar; it has lateral symmetry, more suited for building a rover

- use solar panels as power source; on duna, they work well

- for landing, use a mix of parachutes and rockets.

as an example, this is a simple rover

5K2GQod.jpg

this one has a rocket on the bottom so it can take off and land under its own power. it's not visible from here, but it has a parachute on the other side, for landing on duna (with the rocket helping at the end, because you still come down at around 30 m/s). wheels to move, solar panels, and science experiments aplenty. the docking port at the top because it is supposed to travel around with a mothership.

this not a good rover. it has a high center of mass, so it is rather unstable in low gravity. it is slow. it has limited energy. however, it is very light, and it is reusable, so it is exactly what i needed for the mission i made it for.

this is an example of an adavanced rover

qBJN7LM.png

it has rockets to take off and land on its own on, isru equipment, rt for night driving, advanced probe core and communication, room for multiple kerbals, and an armor to protect it from tumbling. this is a rover that can land somewhere, run all the way around the planet collecting science from every single biome there, then refuel, take off, move on another planet and repeat.

but it is very heavy and very expensive. it's great if you want to explore the whole kerbol system with a single vehicle, but way overkill for a simple duna mission.

I'm sure there are many rover tutorials around. i wouldn't know what to suggest to start from zero. I suggest you try to make a simple rover, land it, and then eventually you come back here asking what didn't work and how it can be improved

J'ai déjà fabriqué un rover Sojourner et je l'ai envoyé pour ma première mission avec Jeb, Bill, Bob et Val. Je voudrais un métier d'une persévérance. 

I have already made a Sojourner rover and sent it on my first mission with Jeb, Bill, Bob and Val. I would like a profession of perseverance.

Edited by Vanamonde
Please post in English when not using the International subforums.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.