Manufacture parts in space

In the 1.11 update , we can store pieces of all kinds in containers , and we can then use these pieces then to build vessels . So why can't we just manufacture new pieces in space or on celestial body directly from ore ? The only new part to add is a factory part , and if we really dont want to add new parts , we could just directly use the convert-o-trons to do the job . Every new crafted piece would go into a container with still empty space , and it would limit us into only building parts that fits into containers . If all of them are full , we can't build anything more .

I also think that adding a robotic arm for building purposes would be very convinient to build on planets with high gravity . It would look like a big robotic arm with a claw , and permits to build big things , whitout even having to go out of the craft .

I hope all of this would be added , and I beleive it would give a new big interest to build large surface bases .

Edited by Hdeedose

This would be very cool, but...

(just IMO)

1. We have surface construction stuff/ orbital construction stuff in ksp 2 and to me this feels like an ''ksp2ery'' feature, of course it would be nice but I would say it wouldn't fit that well in stock, atleast the big stuff with like huge vessels, the smaller stuff would IMO actually be nice in ksp1

2. We have at least 2 mods that add this: 1. Sry I forgot the name ;.; and 2. Extraplanetary Launchpads. The second one is really cool in that you transport rocket parts around, which you made in a production chain, to your launchpads and build rockets/rovers/... this feature (in ksp 1, not 2) feels like a ''mod feature'' to me like Warp Drives and stuff

I'm sorry if I said anything wrong or offended anyone

Take a look how much ore you need to fill a large tank, and how much fuel you get from it. (And how long the whole process can take) I'd imagine, manufacturing parts should be even more expensive that fuel.

On 1/31/2021 at 9:38 AM, Hdeedose said:

also think that adding a robotic arm for building purposes would be very convinient to build on planets with high gravity . It would look like a big robotic arm with a claw

Sooo Breaking Ground main feature basically? I've built mini arm with docking port at the end, so construction arm (as long as it's structurally strong enough) should be possible to make.

There's actually a mod for this, it's called "Extra Planetary Launch Pads" and not only allows you to have launch pads on other planets but also allows you to construct items in space, IDK if it's still compatible after the update but I think it will be. Let me know how it goes and happy explorations.  

On 2/2/2021 at 10:21 PM, The Aziz said:
On 1/31/2021 at 9:38 AM, Hdeedose said:

also think that adding a robotic arm for building purposes would be very convinient to build on planets with high gravity . It would look like a big robotic arm with a claw

Sooo Breaking Ground main feature basically? I've built mini arm with docking port at the end, so construction arm (as long as it's structurally strong enough) should be possible to make.

Yes ... The main goal of the 1.11 update was to permit the kerbals to assemble different parts together in space , without needing to connect them with docking ports , so my idea was to have a robotic arm that can solder parts together , because on high-gravity celestial bodies , kerbals can't move around heavy payloads . It can also permit probes that can build themselves without needing a kerbal engineer .

On 2/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, Starhelperdude said:

2. We have at least 2 mods that add this: 1. Sry I forgot the name ;.; and 2. Extraplanetary Launchpads. The second one is really cool in that you transport rocket parts around, which you made in a production chain, to your launchpads and build rockets/rovers/... this feature (in ksp 1, not 2) feels like a ''mod feature'' to me like Warp Drives and stuff

Yes , there are mods thhat add this . But my idea was to propose a way to make it easy , and stock-like . If we can make all types of fuel from one ore , why couln't we also manufacture small parts ? I wouldn't steal much from ksp 2 , because it would allow to build only parts that fits into the containers . And finally , not everyone plays with mods . IFor me , it just feels nice to play with the stock game , without having to update mods (but ths is my personal opinion) .

On 2/2/2021 at 9:42 PM, Starhelperdude said:

1. We have surface construction stuff/ orbital construction stuff in ksp 2 and to me this feels like an ''ksp2ery'' feature, of course it would be nice but I would say it wouldn't fit that well in stock, atleast the big stuff with like huge vessels, the smaller stuff would IMO actually be nice in ksp1

I agree with you on this point , and that's what I was saying . We could only manufacture parts that fits into containers , so no bigger than 1.25m size .

On 2/2/2021 at 8:42 PM, Starhelperdude said:

To either of those points: So?

1. Other games do spaceflight as well, spaceflight would not fit well in stock /devilsadvocate

2. KIS/KAS is also a mod, but the stock implementation can be helpful at times.

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.