I am interested. Only problem is my mega carrier (over 250,000 Tons with 2 Massive Reactors powering 10 Electric Engines, Capacity to launch 15 fully sized fighters with nuclear strike capability. And the carrier itself has deck guns, AA, rockets, Interceptor Rockets, a Crane set for ditching recovery, arrester wires and more) blows up when anything larger than a walnut hits it. But it's really massive deck (5 layers of structural plating with I Girders and wing sections) can take a couple of landings, not more than 6. I somehow made a lift to a below deck hangar using Infernal Robotics which works the best. It's a lag machine and I have only a couple of photos of it's construction which show it's frame and the laying of it's keel. I think I have one where it's in the ocean but i'll see if I can post that here, the lag forbids any pictures to ever take place which is a solid nope for submissions as I need proof. So i'll make one which doesn't lag, I'll see if I can use a part welding mod and weld it into one lag-reduced piece then tack on the moving parts 

2 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Good lord that thing is a monster. How big is it?

According to my Kerbal X page.

Craft Details
Class Ship
Type SPH
Mass 1,335.17t
Cost 697,434.0
No. of Stages 1
Crew Capacity 3
Part Count 295
No. of Struts 0 Root Part
mk3CargoBayL
Built in KSP 1.10.1
Size 39.75 x 6.87 x 123.83

Or basically the length of the SPH but not quite the width. I had previously had the width but decided to keep the part count under 300.

7 minutes ago, HyperDraco said:

I am interested. Only problem is my mega carrier (over 250,000 Tons with 2 Massive Reactors powering 10 Electric Engines, Capacity to launch 15 fully sized fighters with nuclear strike capability. And the carrier itself has deck guns, AA, rockets, Interceptor Rockets, a Crane set for ditching recovery, arrester wires and more) blows up when anything larger than a walnut hits it. But it's really massive deck (5 layers of structural plating with I Girders and wing sections) can take a couple of landings, not more than 6. I somehow made a lift to a below deck hangar using Infernal Robotics which works the best. It's a lag machine and I have only a couple of photos of it's construction which show it's frame and the laying of it's keel. I think I have one where it's in the ocean but i'll see if I can post that here, the lag forbids any pictures to ever take place which is a solid nope for submissions as I need proof. So i'll make one which doesn't lag, I'll see if I can use a part welding mod and weld it into one lag-reduced piece then tack on the moving parts 

Been there and was only getting 16 frames a second. so reduced many times. This here is just for the challenge. If you want a huge carrier that does all that without the lag. Get "Aircraft Carrier Accessories" go in and set the rescale = to 3 on 1 of it's carriers and then build on the model all the arrest wires, catapults, fuel ports and landing assist systems. The mod WASD is essential for getting around in the SPH to connect everything.

18 minutes ago, ColdJ said:

Been there and was only getting 16 frames a second. so reduced many times. This here is just for the challenge. If you want a huge carrier that does all that without the lag. Get "Aircraft Carrier Accessories" go in and set the rescale = to 3 on 1 of it's carriers and then build on the model all the arrest wires, catapults, fuel ports and landing assist systems. The mod WASD is essential for getting around in the SPH to connect everything.

I do indeed have this mod, and it's really amazing how useful it is. It reduced the count a lot but how do you get 16fps? I get somewhere in the range of 9 

1 hour ago, HyperDraco said:

I do indeed have this mod, and it's really amazing how useful it is. It reduced the count a lot but how do you get 16fps? I get somewhere in the range of 9 

I was crying at 16. That was just the carrier, no planes or Kerbals running around. If It had anything else on screen it probably would have been a frame a second.

3 hours ago, ColdJ said:

I was crying at 16. That was just the carrier, no planes or Kerbals running around. If It had anything else on screen it probably would have been a frame a second.

Mine too, I only just built the base of the new carrier and it already clocks in at ~450 Tons and ~200 parts.

Mind you it's the keel, and the sides of the main hull only. I haven't built the armour belt or fuel tanks. 

My PC will probably eject itself into low Eeloo Orbit soon

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But the new craft has vanished as it's save file got corrputed.

I have no longer got it

But it was 367.6 Meters long, could have 5 medium fighters or one massive bomber side by side and about 10 rows of it in it's underdeck hangar.

It weighed 16,470 Tons with fuel (for the planes) and uranium loaded. It is modded and uses Procedural Parts, Near Advanced Electronics (for the Reactors) and TweakScale for the enormous size. It was at 377 parts at the time of the crash and my last save is before I started work on the Superstructure and Runway.

Update:

Pulled an Allnighter and made most of the craft.

It's 200 meters long, weighs about 20,000 tons. Can carry 15 fully armed fighters (5 rows of 3) or 5 large bombers.

Can somehow do 100m/s but it's modded extensively.

oh and it has about 900 parts but we don't talk about that and my computer's cries of pain.

On 5/17/2021 at 2:34 PM, ColdJ said:

Three piece hull.

Patches... I need 'em! (mind making plans for an extra wide spaceplane....)

Anyways, some lil birdie told me this thread asks for aircraft carriers. I just so happen to have very recently built one. Well, started anyway. It doesn't yet have catapults, arrest wires, elevator, or hangar... but it works as far as pure stock 1.3.1 can take it. If I read the rules correctly, this one should be good for a Medium classification?

Video showing the Praying Mantis hosting a STOL and VTOL practice session with multiple aircraft.

40P4a2O.png

If you wondered about the name...

Q1h48hE.png

It can cruise at over 60 km/h (32.5 knots).

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

The quick and dirty 3 piece hull above was done without adjusting the attachment points, but if you scale up evenly you just increase the attachment point figures times how much you scaled. So the originals are for the cargo bay.

node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 4.98, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -4.98, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 5, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -5, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

Then I saved a copy of the config file as Humongus.cfg

Changed the name =, to name = Mk3CargoBayHuge

Added the scale variable to the model as follows

MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/Utility/mk3CargoBay/long
        scale = 6, 12, 1
    }

So having increased the X axis by 6 but not having a surface attach node I think I can leave that alone but I increased the Y axis by 12 which is length and the stack nodes are at the end so 12 times 4.98 is 59.76 and by 5 is 60 so my new attach points should be.

node_stack_top2 = 0.0, 59.76, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_bottom2 = 0.0, -59.76, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    node_stack_top = 0.0, 60.00, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 3
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -60.00, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 3

I can't remember what the 7th number adjusts off the top of my head I will have to look it up again.

Dear @Stormpilot Assuming the Hard category is still open.

Flying aircraft carrier that takes off from the runway, has it's own plane docked, cruises level at about 75m/s, Plane undocks and takes off like on a regular carrier. No problems as long as in KSP persistence range. fly around and land back on flying carrier deck no problems (though rather surreal) Carefully controlled sliding back along deck to re-dock with the carrier. Carrier will happily land in and take off from water.

https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/The-Valkerie3c4zYYK.pngSADaSWi.png5hODQ5C.png1bMGHxS.png8xJDnTk.png

11 hours ago, ColdJ said:

Dear @Stormpilot Assuming the Hard category is still open.

Flying aircraft carrier that takes off from the runway, has it's own plane docked, cruises level at about 75m/s, Plane undocks and takes off like on a regular carrier. No problems as long as in KSP persistence range. fly around and land back on flying carrier deck no problems (though rather surreal) Carefully controlled sliding back along deck to re-dock with the carrier. Carrier will happily land in and take off from water.

https://kerbalx.com/ColdJ/The-Valkerie3c4zYYK.pngSADaSWi.png5hODQ5C.png1bMGHxS.png8xJDnTk.png

Oh wow that’s huge. When I attempted a flying carrier I just made a plane with a grabby arm to grabby arm a bigger plane. That did not work :)

4 hours ago, Stormpilot said:

Oh wow that’s huge. When I attempted a flying carrier I just made a plane with a grabby arm to grabby arm a bigger plane. That did not work :)

Wings are wings so the deck is basically a huge wing. The launch ramp curving up at the front actually helps to lift the fronts nose up. The extra side wing at the back helps to bring the centre of lift closer to the centre of mass. I originally thought I would need out riggers to stop it leaning over but I have landed sideways in the water when the rudder has started me spinning and it never tried to keel over. :)

On 5/26/2021 at 10:51 AM, Stormpilot said:

When I attempted a flying carrier I just made a plane with a grabby arm to grabby arm a bigger plane. That did not work :)

The arms don't work but I remembered the USS Macon/USS Akron and I wanted to try something similar, it works

F3uHfX6.jpg

I don't know if it was considered an aircraft carrier.

The photographic record is missing, sorry, there is no video, I do not have the software :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, peridoot said:

HA HA I DID IT

Now try moving horizontaly at 60m/s, take off from the moving carrier. Go out 1km then come back and land on the moving carrier. :D

• 1 month later...

I built this for the naval aircraft challenge. Do I qualify for the badge?

It's Stock and no DLC. It has a capacity for 4 VTOL aircraft. Two stored in the hangar and two ready for deployment.

Link: https://kerbalx.com/The_Nico/Eeloo-Class-Aircraft-Carrier

d3TZie7.png

Here with 2 F1 Fighters for the Naval Aircraft Challenge

Spoiler

5EgbSLz.png

Here with 1 F1 in the hangar and 1 F2 fighter takingoff

icFSTTB.png

Here with 1 F1 in the hangar and 1 F2 fighter takingoff

czfDZpn.png

Both F1 fighters

J9TuDrW.png

Both F1 fighters

F9DoHCu.png

Ready for commission

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 6:22 AM, swjr-swis said:

Anyways, some lil birdie told me this thread asks for aircraft carriers. I just so happen to have very recently built one. Well, started anyway. It doesn't yet have catapults, arrest wires, elevator, or hangar... but it works as far as pure stock 1.3.1 can take it. If I read the rules correctly, this one should be good for a Medium classification?

Video showing the Praying Mantis hosting a STOL and VTOL practice session with multiple aircraft.

40P4a2O.png

If you wondered about the name...

Q1h48hE.png

It can cruise at over 60 km/h (32.5 knots).

Well my thing is nowhere as good, or as functional.

Edited by HyperDraco

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.