A descent in to madness.

ColdJ

38 minutes ago, Zacspace said:

I was pretty sure I didn't have an answer for this one, but now I've thought about it. I'm quite sure that currently KSP's buoyancy calculations are based, if not entirely then at least mostly, on the part's drag cube and mass. That's why fairings and service bays can be made so sinkable. Is it possible that the Buoyancy parameter is a deprecated hold over from the pre-1.0 ocean physics? It would explain why stock parts seem to omit it entirely. Oceans behaved much differently in prerelease. Might be worth combing through some very old threads.

Sorry, I couldn't have expected you to know but that part I have found already and popped into my water thread.

What I am looking for is when you add the Buoyancy = paramater into a config file.  Is how the value you set affects the part and what it's limits are.

A fraction of 1 seems to adjust buoyancy some as I did with my marine command chair. I have heard that 0 might make things neutral but haven't done extensive testing yet and that negative might make things sink. Haven't started doing lots of tests yet. I do know that extremely large numbers have no effect.

12 hours ago, ColdJ said:

When I visited the lowest point on Kerbin, The game sabotaged my Submarine as soon as I touched down, I was able to walk a Kerbal with a weight belt around till I found the lowest point. So I think there are coded in parameters to stop you from achieving certain things.

Not really, you've just got pressure tolerance on.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

Someone mentioned that before, but I could never find the setting to switch it 1 way or another.

4 hours ago, ColdJ said:
6 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Someone mentioned that before, but I could never find the setting to switch it 1 way or another.

It's in the difficulty settings, with kerbal/part G-force tolerance. Can't remember where, but you should be able to find it! (:

On 6/18/2021 at 7:54 PM, herbal space program said:

I am actually kind of curious now what would happen if you placed such a setup in an orbit so that the command pod is always just above the atmo, but you can extend your arm far enough radial inwards that the tip is  actually inside of it.

I am 90% sure you won't be able to leave the flight scene due to being in-atmosphere.

But truthfully, I have never experimented with that last few metres of atmos. I'm usually just grateful my ridiculous spaceplane made it to orbit at all :) 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.