Final Approach Mod Project

Odyseus2

You all know that 1.12.2 is the last ksp update.

This means that every mod or add on coded from now will be permanently compatible with the game.

Additionally, a lots of mods, some of them very cool, have been coded since the first versions of the game.

So, why not work all together to make all ksp old mods (except those which have been added to the game) compatible forever ?

Edited by Odyseus2
Compatible instead of available

2 hours ago, Odyseus2 said:

This means that every mod or add on coded from now will be permanently compatible with the game.

Additionally, a lots of mods, some of them very cool, have been coded since the first versions of the game.

So, why not work all together to make all ksp old mods (except those which have been added to the game) available forever ?

I believe LinuxGuruGamer has you covered!

As soon as I learned this was the last KSP update, I had the same thought but two things occurred to me:

1). In order to continue older mods you need the rights which I assume could be difficult to get if the makers aren't frequently active.

2). I personally don't know how to adapt mods from older versions, as I only have experience with basic modelling and simple .cfg file modification / expansion.

9 hours ago, PsychoNoodle said:

In order to continue older mods you need the rights which I assume could be difficult to get if the makers aren't frequently active.

I know that the licenses for some mods contain the clause "If I [the developer] am not active for a while, you can resume development."

9 hours ago, theJesuit said:

I believe LinuxGuruGamer has you covered!

What do you mean by that ?

I've never really played with mods much, what happens when you install all the planet packs? If all the planets, past and present, are updated, will it form a sort of galaxy? Is there a mod to make sure the solar systems are spaced out interestingly?

2 hours ago, t_v said:

I've never really played with mods much, what happens when you install all the planet packs? If all the planets, past and present, are updated, will it form a sort of galaxy? Is there a mod to make sure the solar systems are spaced out interestingly?

Many planet packs are incompatible with other planet packs.  For example, two of my favorite planet mods are JNSQ and Galileo's Planet Pack (GPP).  Both are made by the same dev team, but are incompatible for many reasons, not least of which is that JNSQ is 2.7x stock size, whereas GPP is stock sized, and completely replaces the Kerbol system.

OTOH, mods such as Outer Planets Mod (OPM) are designed, or have configs, to work with stock or resized systems (using Sigma Dimensions), including GPP, but not JNSQ (I think).

I don't recall the name of the mod, but there is one that has several systems, with planets and moons numbering in the low 3-figure range.

TLDR; It would be extremely difficult to get all planet pack mods to work together reliably, if at all. 

Edited by MaxxQ

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, sorry I couldn't respond more recently, but if you want to start somewhere, here's my suggestion.

If you want to start with outdated part packs that haven't been touched in a while, install the most recent version of the mod and use it on a 1.12.2 game. Test every part in that mod, and check to see if anything else that is added is working. Compare it to a game in the mod's defined version, and if all/most features are working, you could (assuming privileges are given from the author) begin the publishing process.

As I said above, if most features are working, put out on the release that there is a known bug and state whatever bug it is. Afterwards, you could give special attention to that part, especially if you have prior modding experience. Then file an update for the mod.

Or do that before release, up to you.

On 8/23/2021 at 4:47 PM, Odyseus2 said:

So, why not work all together to make all ksp old mods (except those which have been added to the game) compatible forever ?

can always ask me - I might have it in the pipeline - and if I don't I might add it. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.