[KSP 1.12] EVA Repairs

Angelo Kerman

EVA Repairs 1.4 is now available:

Changes

- EVA repairs-related events and displays have been moved to the PAW's EVA Repairs group.
- Solar panels and radiators can now optionally fail.
- Engines will reduce MTBF only when throttled up and running.
- If the option is enabled (it's off by default), then when a part with crew capacity fails, it can be repaired from the inside.
- Parts with less than 20% MTBF now have the option to Service the part to restore their MTBF before they fail.
- Parts that have worn out now have the option to Overhaul the part to restore its maximum possible MTBF. See below for details.
- You can now specify the default MTBF by part module. E.G. Engines have an MTBF of 1 (hour). See EVARepairs/BaselineConfig.cfg for details.
- Removed default MTBF from settings menu.
- In Settings, moved breakable part options to the new Breakable Things section.

Bug Fixes

- Fixed issue where MTBF would drain even when various modules weren't deployed, active, etc.
- Fixed issue where MTBF would show "-1" in the part info view.

Overhaul Game Mechanic

When the "Parts can wear out" option is enabled, parts will lose 10% of their maximum possible MTBF each time they're repaired. The intent was to have stations and ships wear out over time and need replacement. This release introduces a new game mechanic: Overhaul. Overhauling a part requires a Level 3 engineer or above, 4 Repair Kits, and a mass of Ore equal to 20% of the part's dry mass. An Overhaul will restore the part's maximum possible MTBF.

Posted (edited)

I was testing the new changes that are welcome, but I had a few problems that I don't know if are features or bugs:

First all the engines I have tested on a variety of ships, most of the time have a MBTF of 0% after activating for the first time, maybe the second, and with other mods like Engine Ignitor, some of the engines could be used much more.

Also antennae should have more than 600h of MBTF, because on missions to Jool or to the Outer Planets, antennae of unmanned probes brake down before even arriving on the destination,  or maybe the Hibernating System should also turn off the antenna so the MBTF doesn't go down.

I'll keep testing and thanks for this awesome mod :D

Edited by Overlocker96

21 hours ago, Overlocker96 said:

I was testing the new changes that are welcome, but I had a few problems that I don't know if are features or bugs:

First all the engines I have tested on a variety of ships, most of the time have a MBTF of 0% after activating for the first time, maybe the second, and with other mods like Engine Ignitor, some of the engines could be used much more.

Also antennae should have more than 600h of MBTF, because on missions to Jool or to the Outer Planets, antennae of unmanned probes brake down before even arriving on the destination,  or maybe the Hibernating System should also turn off the antenna so the MBTF doesn't go down.

I'll keep testing and thanks for this awesome mod :D

Do you have an example of an antenna with part failure? I wasn't aware that they could fail, and they shouldn't be.

For the failing engines, do you have the option to allow parts to fail during activation turned on?

You can also turn on debugging and see what's going on.

I had tested more things:

First, any antenna fails when some time had pass, for the normal time, 600h, is a bit more than a Kerbal year, so most missions to outer planets can't be done.
It may be because of the Antenna  Consumptor mod, but it should detect it's new module "ModuleGeneratorAntenna". Also this happened on previous versions before, I turned up the MBTF to 6000 hours so I can make missions to Outer Planets, but of course is also the same to ALL parts, until the new version.

Second for failing parts I have everything turned on on the config in game, except por "Flight experience improves future Reliability" because I'm on a Sandbox game, I only turn that on on Career saves. But on previous versions they didn't fail as much, even on Career with that option on.

I also turned on the Debugging, and I have seen that:
- On the First ignition, engine works fine but it's MBTF turns down to 0%.
- On the Second Ignition, the timer that shows the seconds until the part fails, goes down to 10 seconds or less, so it always fails.

Here's the LOG (Is big because of the Debugging): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qSIIhhvqbeZ_F4gBydEYMVdChRVwm57U/view?usp=sharing

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 8:44 PM, Angelo Kerman said:

EVA Repairs 1.4 is now available:

Changes

- EVA repairs-related events and displays have been moved to the PAW's EVA Repairs group.
- Solar panels and radiators can now optionally fail.
- Engines will reduce MTBF only when throttled up and running.
- If the option is enabled (it's off by default), then when a part with crew capacity fails, it can be repaired from the inside.
- Parts with less than 20% MTBF now have the option to Service the part to restore their MTBF before they fail.
- Parts that have worn out now have the option to Overhaul the part to restore its maximum possible MTBF. See below for details.
- You can now specify the default MTBF by part module. E.G. Engines have an MTBF of 1 (hour). See EVARepairs/BaselineConfig.cfg for details.
- Removed default MTBF from settings menu.
- In Settings, moved breakable part options to the new Breakable Things section.

Bug Fixes

- Fixed issue where MTBF would drain even when various modules weren't deployed, active, etc.
- Fixed issue where MTBF would show "-1" in the part info view.

Overhaul Game Mechanic

When the "Parts can wear out" option is enabled, parts will lose 10% of their maximum possible MTBF each time they're repaired. The intent was to have stations and ships wear out over time and need replacement. This release introduces a new game mechanic: Overhaul. Overhauling a part requires a Level 3 engineer or above, 4 Repair Kits, and a mass of Ore equal to 20% of the part's dry mass. An Overhaul will restore the part's maximum possible MTBF.

FEEDBACK: Like Overlook, I'm seeing engines continually fail (swivel) even though reliability is up to 82% by like the 5th launch.

Very excited to see this update along with the fixes. The overhaul feature will be useful for colonies where ISRU can be used to keep equipment mostly functional for longer periods of time.

SNACKBREAK (Cross Mod concept between your two popular mods).
One Idea (If I may) would be a concept I've thought about called "Snack Break" where when Kerbals don't get their Snacks! they have a tendancy to not do the requried on-going maintence and that results in lower MTBF. The concept being don't feed kerbals onboard = lower MTBF (like 1% loss per missed Snacks! meal).

Obviously probes don't have snacks, so when out of communication range if Snacks! (or similarly named mod) is installed they to a "Snack" check for communication with KSC, no communication they lose 1MTBF unless in hibernation mode.

Edited by PicoSpace

On 5/4/2024 at 10:56 AM, PicoSpace said:

FEEDBACK: Like Overlook, I'm seeing engines continually fail (swivel) even though reliability is up to 82% by like the 5th launch.

Very excited to see this update along with the fixes. The overhaul feature will be useful for colonies where ISRU can be used to keep equipment mostly functional for longer periods of time.

SNACKBREAK (Cross Mod concept between your two popular mods).
One Idea (If I may) would be a concept I've thought about called "Snack Break" where when Kerbals don't get their Snacks! they have a tendancy to not do the requried on-going maintence and that results in lower MTBF. The concept being don't feed kerbals onboard = lower MTBF (like 1% loss per missed Snacks! meal).

Obviously probes don't have snacks, so when out of communication range if Snacks! (or similarly named mod) is installed they to a "Snack" check for communication with KSC, no communication they lose 1MTBF unless in hibernation mode.

Ok, so, right now the engine reliability check is made each time you adjust the throttle. That's way too much, so I'm working on a way to reduce the checks.

2 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Please give 1.4.2 a try. It should reduce reliability checks to:

- Activate/Deactivate engine

- Throttle up from 0.

Still having issues, I installed it on my current game.
Booster - 92% failed immediately, 99% failed immediately
Main Engine (same thing)
6 Side engines, 72% all failed within 6 seconds, 2 immediately and then the other 4 about 5 seconds later.

9o6GybX.png

1 hour ago, PicoSpace said:

Still having issues, I installed it on my current game.
Booster - 92% failed immediately, 99% failed immediately
Main Engine (same thing)
6 Side engines, 72% all failed within 6 seconds, 2 immediately and then the other 4 about 5 seconds later.

9o6GybX.png

Very odd. Can you turn on Debug Mode and see what's going on?

18 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

Very odd. Can you turn on Debug Mode and see what's going on?

It looks like engines (command pods do this as well) fail on activation or engine throttle up.
MTBF drops to 3 Seconds and then the engine breaks.
When you do (debug) engine repair (or other repairs) it fixes but then breaks immediately after.

Doing the repair trick I did managed to get the booster to run afterwards normal. Engines not yet.
https://imgur.com/a/A64th2e <- Bunch of before/immediately after photos of ignitions.

3 hours ago, PicoSpace said:

It looks like engines (command pods do this as well) fail on activation or engine throttle up.
MTBF drops to 3 Seconds and then the engine breaks.
When you do (debug) engine repair (or other repairs) it fixes but then breaks immediately after.

Doing the repair trick I did managed to get the booster to run afterwards normal. Engines not yet.
https://imgur.com/a/A64th2e <- Bunch of before/immediately after photos of ignitions.

Ok, it sounds like it's still too sensitive then. I'll change it back so that whenever you activate or shutdown an engine, then it'll require an activation check. Once it's running, it won't require a check.

EVA Repairs 1.4.3 is now available:

Changes

- Engines no longer check for failure whenever throttled up or down.
- Engines can now optionally fail.
- In Debug Mode (EDITOR ONLY!), you can now disable/enable part failures for individual part types in the Part Action Window.
NOTE: If you right-click on, say, a Mainsail and disable it, then ALL Mainsails will be disabled, not just the one that you disabled.
NOTE: A part that has been disabled persists across all saves.
- You can permanently ban parts from being subjected to EVA Repairs. Check the BlacklistedPart.cfg file for details.

Known Issue: symmetry parts won't notice that they've been disabled/enabled while in the editor.

Thanks.

In the previous version  (1.35), I had the problem of calculating the probability of failure SRB. There  were 4 SRBs on board (90%) and one of them failed 19 of 20 at launch.

Now two J-20 engines failed in few sec and Mk1 cockpit immediately. All 95%.

It seems that airplane engines need more than 1 h.

Do solar panels increase reliability?

I'm looking forward to the development of the mod.

Edited by any 1

Some more feedback:

The latest version still makes part fail very quickly, for example most of the converters, even modded ones like AM Factory from FFT, turn off just after a few seconds.

The Engines still have the problem that they fail pretty quickly, and the only time they do a full burn is activating it with the Throttle above 0%, if not it always fails.

Other parts like solar panels work just fine, except when you activate it more than once, or the same with SAS parts, Probes, Capsules,... they always fail on the second activation.

Also I totally support the idea of making some sort of multiplier of the MBTF depending on the ISP for Engines.

4 hours ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Perhaps determine engine MBTF based on its ISP? 1 hour was mentioned earlier which seems fine for most chemical engines but for aircraft engines, ion engines and far-future engines like those from DSEV, KSPIE and FFT may be expected to burn for much longer than an hour.

Edited by Overlocker96

2 hours ago, Overlocker96 said:

Some more feedback:

The latest version still makes part fail very quickly, for example most of the converters, even modded ones like AM Factory from FFT, turn off just after a few seconds.

The Engines still have the problem that they fail pretty quickly, and the only time they do a full burn is activating it with the Throttle above 0%, if not it always fails.

Other parts like solar panels work just fine, except when you activate it more than once, or the same with SAS parts, Probes, Capsules,... they always fail on the second activation.

Also I totally support the idea of making some sort of multiplier of the MBTF depending on the ISP for Engines.

What's the reliability of the engines? You can check by turning on Debug Mode.

14 hours ago, Angelo Kerman said:

What's the reliability of the engines? You can check by turning on Debug Mode.

I tested some rockets and the results are strange:
- First the MBTF before using an engine is 64800000, then after activating, it drops to a number below 10,  so the next time I activate the engine, it only works for that ammount of seconds.

Spoiler

2Gq9njv.png

- When I use parts on a symmetry, like SRB or engine clusters, it drops to a number that is the same as the ammount of boosters, like for example the first booster in the symmetry is 1, then 2, and it keeps going. It may be a coincidence :/

Spoiler

xhlikzN.png

- Sometimes even when I activate another stage, it starts the first time counting down from less than 10 MBTF. That always seems to happen with Deployable Engines.

Spoiler

nuhhYr5.png

- The most strange thing is that only touching one time one of the throttle buttons, even with MechJeb and such, it starts counting the MBTF down.

Spoiler

GB8LUHV.png

- Also it seems that staging with MechJeb doesn't start to count down the engine, unless using the throttle buttons

Spoiler

XC2fP9J.png

- When using Solar Panels, they work just fine, the MBTF doesn't go down when they aren't deployed, but it starts just when it finishes its deployment.

Spoiler

u1s1HEV.png

- Converters also broke after only 1 second, like Fuel Cells:

Before: 

Spoiler

bOGpUJJ.png

After: 

Spoiler

1zPLgQ3.png

- Landing Legs, work just as fine Solar Panels.
- And maybe Antennae deployment should have an effect on its MBTF, I have MBTF on antennae but I think 600 hours is too low for most interplanetary missions.

Edited by Overlocker96

I’m not understanding how symmetrical parts are being affected. Makes no sense. For now you might want to disable engine failures.

Antennas should NOT have MTBF unless they have a generator, engine, converter, or another part module that can fail. In debug mode you can exclude the part from failures while in the editor.

Yes, the symmetrical parts is something silly I thought, doesn't make sense if it doesn't have any part of the code that may do it.

And the antenna part is because of "CommNet Antennas Consumptor" mod, but I actually like the idea of having antenna that can fail, so the Probe can fail only on course corrections or using SAS or by time passing, that can be overcome with the Hibernation System, but the antenna still can fail.
Of course this is a side effect of using that mod.

And I would disable part failures when activated instead of only engines, and actually the rest of the mod systems works just fine, like having a long burn with a NERVA or a electric engine from Near Future Propulsion, makes the MBTF go down to 90% after 10 minutes for example.

Edited by Overlocker96

13 hours ago, any 1 said:

In my opinion, the problem now is calculating the probability of failure at activation.

Maybe this will help: https://github.com/Angel-125/WildBlueTools/releases/tag/v1.90.1

Just now, Angelo Kerman said:

Whoops, wrong thread!

I like to have MBTF and the failures at activation simultaneously.

But now all parts like engines, command pod, convertors etc. failure immediately at activation. It should be depended on reliability.  At 90% I am waiting 1 of 10 time, approximately, at 50% 1 of 2.

2 hours ago, any 1 said:

I like to have MBTF and the failures at activation simultaneously.

But now all parts like engines, command pod, convertors etc. failure immediately at activation. It should be depended on reliability.  At 90% I am waiting 1 of 10 time, approximately, at 50% 1 of 2.

That was I was thinking, also because it makes reliability more useful, if they are connected.

Also the ISP as seconds of MBTF for engines is also a good option. It may appear a low number, but makes sense because most of the sea level engines have around 300 seconds, and on 5 minutes is more than enough time to reach orbit, so most of the engines with a 95% reliability won't fail, but still keeps the challenge on early career to have new engines that hadn't been used and have low reliability and are more prone to failures.

And with high ISP engines, like Hydrolox also keeps this challenging but not so hard, like 400+ seconds of burning time is enough for missions to Outer Planets on Stock System, with maybe a multiplier of 2.5x or 10x on JNSQ or RSS ans such. Also nuclear engines with 1000+ seconds can be reused for a lot of burns and can be serviced also between long missions, the same with FTT or similar mods that have 10000s of ISP or more.
This is pretty balanced also by design with other mods like Engine Ignitor, so servicing the engines to have 100% of MBTF can be joined by adding the Ignitions again.

Edited by Overlocker96