Be Wary of Kaspersky ("Anti-Virus") Software

JoeSchmuckatelli

https://www.reuters.com/technology/exclusive-us-warned-firms-about-russias-kaspersky-software-day-after-invasion-2022-03-31/

Germany warns against using Kaspersky software, citing ‘considerable’ cyber risk after Russia’s invasion | TechCrunch

Generally: Kaspersky is known to be effective, but also very intrusive.  This is more of a 'protect yourself from the potential threat'.

Mods: this is not a political post, although it is driven by current events.  

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

• 2 weeks later...

This is mostly fearmongering IMO. Any AV needs to do dig deep into dark places to do it's job, that's just how it works. I mean, yes, using Kaspersky is not wise. But given the amount of zerodays floating around these days, ANY software originating in hostile country is suspect. And people running critical infrastructure should be well aware of this.

On 3/31/2022 at 6:50 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

Generally: Kaspersky is known to be effective, but also very intrusive.  This is more of a 'protect yourself from the potential threat'.

I think it's just an AV rule of thumb that you don't install stuff from people you wouldn't lend the keys to your home to. The level of access is just that great.

I don't need Anti-Virus Software I'm a Mac user, although I do find it ironic (almost funny) that anti-virus software sometimes contains viruses. If anything anti-virus software is: 50 % viruses  49.9 % There goes my computer memory and 0.1% consumer con job. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.