[1.9.x - 1.12.x] BDArmory Plus (BDA+) v1.6.12.0 [2024-06-13]

DocNappers

16 hours ago, Artz said:

In the debug log i can find many entries like this:

[LOG 19:58:52.968] [BDArmory.BDATargetManager]: Selected BDA - Test Plane - AA with target score of 1.73
[LOG 19:58:52.968] [BDArmory.MissileFire]: BDA - Test Platform - Missile - No weapon selected for target BDA - Test Plane - AA
[LOG 19:58:52.968] [BDArmory.MissileFire]: BDA - Test Platform - Missile is engaging highest priority target (BDA - Test Plane - AA) with

That's telling you that it's selected the "Test Plane - AA" as the target (so it's within visual range, has a radar lock or some other way of tracking it), but couldn't find any valid weapons to use against it. For missiles this is often due to failing a DLZ (dynamic launch zone) test due to being too close (there'll be messages about this in the log if this is the case), but can also be due to configuring your missiles wrongly (e.g., disabling being able to engage air targets) or other reasons (e.g., not firing radar missiles when an anti-rad missile is incoming).

26 minutes ago, kerballover15 said:

to download CKAN do I need to redownload all my mods

No, you don't. Some people prefer to uninstall all previously installed mods and allow mod management to be handled by CKAN. It's personal preference, really.

Gamemodes:

• Add BD_PART_STRENGTH BattleDamage option to have part/joint strength weaken as parts take damage.

I don't see how I can access this. It's not visible in the UI. In the settings.cfg it is there and set to True. Which is probably good because I definitely want this enabled but like, it would be nice if I can see this in the GUI rather than just the game files, or ideally a slider to tune its sensitivity with a slider.

11 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Gamemodes:

• Add BD_PART_STRENGTH BattleDamage option to have part/joint strength weaken as parts take damage.

I don't see how I can access this. It's not visible in the UI. In the settings.cfg it is there and set to True. Which is probably good because I definitely want this enabled but like, it would be nice if I can see this in the GUI rather than just the game files, or ideally a slider to tune its sensitivity with a slider.

It's listed as "Structural Damage" in the settings

ptSeg87.png

When enabled, the breaking force, breaking torque and G-tolerance are scaled by the fraction of HP remaining for the part.

It's likely this question has already been asked and I have just not been able to find it. It seems that any kind of craft file that find on Kerbal X is incompatible. There's always something This version files incompatible but they work on the other version that is not as maintained [BDAC ]because they all work for that version but not this one. what's the difference between the two that causes the craft files to fall apart And is there a way to fix it on my end?

Hmm... is there any way to get the AI to know it shouldn't wait for a BVR missile to go within visual range, show up on radar, or go active to defend? I just find it annoying to have a BVR fight where the AI is purely reacting to what it sees rather than anticipating that when it launches, the opponent might also have launched, and doing something proactive to mitigate the threat posed by that missile (diving to lower altitude, turning but keeping the enemy within its radar, etc).

11 hours ago, DocNappers said:

It's listed as "Structural Damage" in the settings

ptSeg87.png

When enabled, the breaking force, breaking torque and G-tolerance are scaled by the fraction of HP remaining for the part.

NGL I have the latest version and it straight up doesn't include this in the menu. Like, it just goes directly from subsystem damage to ammo explosions

Some of the new stuff is awesome though. I particularly like the BDA Vessel Mover

Edited by Pds314

Is there a good way to stop a high speed (440 m/s) craft from getting target fixated and nosediving into the ground? It recognizes the ground is dangerous but then oscillates between pulling up and engaging a slow moving target directly below itself.

The plane in question has its max G set at 9 for the purpose of calculation which is fairly accurate to what it actually does in a turn. It has a lot of positive AOA control to allow it to remain stable and a lot of dynamic damping to keep g forces reasonable. If I didn't have the max G it would just assume it can turn very very quickly at any speed.

But yet it still locks on to low altitude biplanes and crashes instead of saving itself.

"Fix TweakScale config for Typhoon engine."
It broke my TweakScale for some reason. It says it's duplicated. It is fixed if I just delete the caesar_hone_60_ts.cfg Not sure if this is something wrong with my install or what exactly but TweakScale does work on the part if I delete that file. Maybe it's a CKAN configuration bug or something that this file exists? I dunno but it says when that file is there that it is duplicate tweakscale modules.

I tend to just use AJE engines however so I don't know if this solution somehow affects anything negatively.

Edited by Pds314

On 5/9/2023 at 10:09 AM, Pds314 said:

NGL I have the latest version and it straight up doesn't include this in the menu. Like, it just goes directly from subsystem damage to ammo explosions

That would indicate that you're either not running the latest version, or that some other strange bug is occuring. There's no difference code-wise between the "subsystem damage" toggle and the "structural damage" toggle.

2 hours ago, Pds314 said:

Is there a good way to stop a high speed (440 m/s) craft from getting target fixated and nosediving into the ground? It recognizes the ground is dangerous but then oscillates between pulling up and engaging a slow moving target directly below itself.

Tuning the terrain avoidance settings should avoid this. Based on it being high-speed, I suspect you need to increase the "Control surface deployment time", which is probably better labelled as something like "Time the plane continues in roughly a straight line before actually turning tightly" (it's more of a heuristic than a precisely computable factor). The AI has checks for avoiding doing downwards loops when it's so close to terrain that doing so would trigger terrain avoidance and makes those turns more horizontal than vertical. The turn radius, terrain threat distance and low-alt loop altitude (when relevant) show up in the on-screen debug telemetry in the lower left of the screen. If the target is too steeply below, then extending a little way away from it could be helpful, though extending also has its downsides if you're dogfighting.

The turning radius is something that's based on recent measurements of the dynamic pressure and speed, not the G-limiter.  Also, the max G and max AoA limiters don't work that well, particularly w.r.t. preventing short-term high Gs or AoA, but improving them has proven to be somewhat difficult.

1 hour ago, Pds314 said:

"Fix TweakScale config for Typhoon engine."

I'll check with SI. He knows more about that sort of thing.

22 minutes ago, DocNappers said:

That would indicate that you're either not running the latest version, or that some other strange bug is occuring. There's no difference code-wise between the "subsystem damage" toggle and the "structural damage" toggle.

Tuning the terrain avoidance settings should avoid this. Based on it being high-speed, I suspect you need to increase the "Control surface deployment time", which is probably better labelled as something like "Time the plane continues in roughly a straight line before actually turning tightly" (it's more of a heuristic than a precisely computable factor). The AI has checks for avoiding doing downwards loops when it's so close to terrain that doing so would trigger terrain avoidance and makes those turns more horizontal than vertical. The turn radius, terrain threat distance and low-alt loop altitude (when relevant) show up in the on-screen debug telemetry in the lower left of the screen. If the target is too steeply below, then extending a little way away from it could be helpful, though extending also has its downsides if you're dogfighting.

The turning radius is something that's based on recent measurements of the dynamic pressure and speed, not the G-limiter.  Also, the max G and max AoA limiters don't work that well, particularly w.r.t. preventing short-term high Gs or AoA, but improving them has proven to be somewhat difficult.

I'll check with SI. He knows more about that sort of thing.

I fixed the not showing structural damage issue with reinstall.

I'm not trying to use the G limit to prevent excessive instantaneous G, the craft can handle that fine as can the Kerbals, but instead to tell the craft its actual turning capabilities because otherwise it thinks it can make a 700 m radius turn at M1.3 on the deck, even though my craft has FAR AOA control and dynamic deflection preventing that and limiting it to a bit over 10 G turns. If Max G is set higher, it assumes that it has a tighter high speed turn radius at a given speed. I don't know why it does this but the G limit does seem to actually factor in somewhere or this wouldn't change the calculated radius by more than double.

The control surface lag and distance multipliers for correct and incorrect orientation are set to maximum. 4, 10, 10. The highest possible on the "unclamped" setting. The craft will happily call terrain 10+ km away unsafe. It is also set to a minimum altitude of 350 m and will still frequently crash in a high speed dive even though it is more than capable of getting out of that dive, and will alternate saying it's engaging a biplane and trying to avoid terrain.

My little biplane will happily fly around at 30 meters AGL and usually only crashes if there is a large and unseen building in the way, it has a midair collision, gets damaged by weapons, or it is pulling some crazy evasive action and bleeds its energy. Never just by not pulling up on the stick. But then again it's usually not going after targets that are a mile below it and moving at 15% the speed.

Edited by Pds314

4 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

I'm not trying to use the G limit to prevent excessive instantaneous G, the craft can handle that fine as can the Kerbals, but instead to tell the craft its actual turning capabilities because otherwise it thinks it can make a 700 m radius turn at M1.3 on the deck, even though my craft has FAR AOA control and dynamic deflection preventing that and limiting it to a bit over 10 G turns. If Max G is set higher, it assumes that it has a tighter high speed turn radius at a given speed. I don't know why it does this but the G limit does seem to actually factor in somewhere or this wouldn't change the calculated radius by more than double.

Fair enough. We've had complaints before about craft not respecting the G or AoA limits, but that's mostly for instantaneous stuff, which we haven't been able to fix. The G and AoA limiters do affect how the AI adjusts pitch, it's just that that bit of code is really old and poorly documented, so we're not really sure what the logic behind it is and no-one has come up with anything better.

14 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

The control surface lag and distance multipliers for correct and incorrect orientation are set to maximum. 4, 10, 10. The highest possible on the "unclamped" setting. The craft will happily call terrain 10+ km away unsafe. It is also set to a minimum altitude of 350 m and will still frequently crash in a high speed dive even though it is more than capable of getting out of that dive, and will alternate saying it's engaging a biplane and trying to avoid terrain.

That seems odd. Possibly the dynamic pressure at those speeds when using FAR is varying a lot? The G-load and AoA are also available if you enable the on-screen debug telemetry, which would indicate this. Alternating between engaging and avoiding terrain is to be expected if the terrain threat distance is varying a lot and there's something to engage, but the terrain threat distance shouldn't be varying that much.

1 hour ago, DocNappers said:

Fair enough. We've had complaints before about craft not respecting the G or AoA limits, but that's mostly for instantaneous stuff, which we haven't been able to fix. The G and AoA limiters do affect how the AI adjusts pitch, it's just that that bit of code is really old and poorly documented, so we're not really sure what the logic behind it is and no-one has come up with anything better.

That seems odd. Possibly the dynamic pressure at those speeds when using FAR is varying a lot? The G-load and AoA are also available if you enable the on-screen debug telemetry, which would indicate this. Alternating between engaging and avoiding terrain is to be expected if the terrain threat distance is varying a lot and there's something to engage, but the terrain threat distance shouldn't be varying that much.

Yeah. Especially not for diving straight down at near-stationary targets. The terrain threat distance in one instance said like 17 km when the craft was 1.5 km from the ground facing like 80 degrees down and definitely needed to pull-up-right-now-or-die-in-a-crater. Which it recognized, but also seemed to be like No. I must wait for sidewinder tone on this biplane even if I explode. every other second.

Edited by Pds314

Is this where we log bugs with BD armory extended? If so I am getting a fatal error reported by tweakscale.
(I'm using CKAN) Game is playable if I ignore the showstopper error but might corrupt my stuff. TY for any help available!

see most recent posts on:

[LOG 10:54:24.953] Applying update 999_KSP-Recall/patches/fundskeeper/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAsteroid],!MODULE[ModuleComet],!MODULE[KerbalEVA]]:NEEDS[KSPRECALL-FUNDSKEEPER] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:25.109] Applying update 999_KSP-Recall/patches/refunding/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAsteroid],!MODULE[ModuleComet],!MODULE[KerbalEVA]]:NEEDS[KSPRECALL-REFUNDING] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:25.279] Applying update 999_KSP-Recall/patches/stealbackfunds/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleAsteroid],!MODULE[ModuleComet],!MODULE[KerbalEVA]]:NEEDS[KSPRECALL-STEALBACKFUNDS] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:25.577] Applying update BDArmory/MMPatches/000000_HitpointModule/@PART[*] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:26.380] Applying update BDArmory/MMPatches/BDA_battledamage/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:26.601] Applying update BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60_TS/@PART[BDA_EJ200] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:36.352] Applying update SimpleRepaint/Patches/SimpleRepaint/@PART[*]:HAS[~SR_Ignore[]]:FOR[zzzzzzSimpleRepaint] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:36.595] Applying update SimpleRepaint/Patches/SimpleRepaint/@PART[*]:HAS[~SR_Ignore[],~SR_RepaintType[]]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch]:FOR[zzzzzzSimpleRepaint] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:37.302] Applying update SimpleRepaint/Patches/SimpleRepaint/@PART[*]:HAS[~SR_Ignore[],#SR_RepaintType[B9PS],#SR_MaterialMask1[*]]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch]:FOR[zzzzzzSimpleRepaint] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:51.930] Applying update SimpleRepaint/Patches/SimpleRepaint/@PART[*]:HAS[~SR_Ignore[],@MODULE[ModuleB9PartSwitch]:HAS[#moduleID[SimpleRepaint]]]:NEEDS[B9PartSwitch]:FOR[zzzzzzSimpleRepaint] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:52.744] Applying update SimpleRepaint/Patches/SimpleRepaint/@PART[*]:HAS[#SR_RepaintType[*]]:AFTER[zzzzzzSimpleRepaint] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:52.940] Applying update SimpleRepaint/Patches/SimpleRepaint/@PART[*]:HAS[#SR_WhitelistOnly[*]]:AFTER[zzzzzzSimpleRepaint] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:53.219] Applying update KSPCommunityFixes/MMPatches/ModSupport/KSPRecall/@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[Refunding]]:LAST[999_KSP-Recall] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:53.561] Applying update KSPCommunityFixes/MMPatches/ModSupport/KSPRecall/@PART[*]:HAS[#hasRefundingOnRecovery[?rue]]:LAST[999_KSP-Recall] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:53.900] Applying update KSPCommunityFixes/MMPatches/ModSupport/KSPRecall/@PART[*]:HAS[#hasRefundingOnRecovery]:LAST[999_KSP-Recall] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]
[LOG 10:54:54.145] Applying update 999_KSP-Recall/patches/attached-on-editor/@PART[*]:HAS[!MODULE[ProceduralPart],!MODULE[WingProcedural],!MODULE[ModuleAsteroid],!MODULE[ModuleComet],!MODULE[KerbalEVA]]:LAST[KSPRECALL-ATTACHED-ON-EDITOR]:NEEDS[TweakScale] to BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60.cfg/PART[BDA_EJ200]

2 hours ago, Hipser said:

Is this where we log bugs with BD armory extended? If so I am getting a fatal error reported by tweakscale.

I'm also getting this error, the logs say its specifically the engine for me
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2j4sk759tt2gf6i/KSP.log?dl=0 full log and the snippet about the engine

Spoiler

[LOG 21:11:10.220] [TweakScale] ERROR: **FATAL** Part BDA.EJ200 (TFJ-EJ200 "Typhoon" Afterburning Turbofan) has a fatal problem due having duplicated properties - see issue [#34]( https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/34 ). at error:0
[ERR 21:11:10.220] Cannot find config in file : BD1x0

[LOG 21:11:10.220] [TweakScale] WARNING: NULL ConfigNode for BDArmory/Parts/ReactiveArmor/ReactiveArmor/BD1x0.5ReactiveArmor (unholy characters on the name?). Trying partConfig instead!

[LOG 21:11:10.220] [TweakScale] WARNING: NULL ConfigNode for BDArmory/Parts/ReactiveArmor/ReactiveArmor/BD1x0.5ReactiveArmor (unholy characters on the name?). Trying partConfig instead!

On 5/12/2023 at 7:48 PM, Hipser said:

(I'm using CKAN) Game is playable if I ignore the showstopper error but might corrupt my stuff. TY for any help available!

On 5/12/2023 at 10:17 PM, A_Mango_Kabbab said:

I'm also getting this error, the logs say its specifically the engine for me

The issue is with the GameData/BDArmory/Parts/EJ200/caesar_hone_60_TS.cfg file, which is intended to make the mass of that engine scale more consistently with other engines. Removing the file should fix the issue for now. This should get fixed in the next release.

On 5/17/2023 at 1:29 AM, Kerbal410 said:

is the AWACS radar in the mod the AN/APY-1 or AN/APY-2?

No idea. One of the others might know though.

On 5/19/2023 at 4:27 PM, Falcon Aerospace said:

On CKAN why can't I download BDA+ with North Kerbin Dynamics Renewed. I want to get new features, but I'm stuck on BDA Continued.

Edit: I also can't download BDA+ with Kerbalfield too

Those two depend on BDA Continued, not BDA Plus, however, their respective forum threads indicate that it's possible to use them to some extent by installing them manually NKD threadKerbal Field thread.