[1.12.x] Parallax - PBR Terrain and Surface Objects [2.0.2]

Gameslinx

Hi. I'm in the process of adapting the old config for RSS, it works ok, but not for Kerbin/Earth. I tried different variations of configs and found what parallax doesn't apply tessellation on Earth if Earth has a parameter cbNameLater (Kopernicus/Body/cbNameLater). If I set 'name = Earth' in Parallax/Body, I get this error:

[EXC 17:30:17.315] KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[TKey,TValue].get_Item (TKey key) (at <9577ac7a62ef43179789031239ba8798>:0)
    ParallaxOptimized.SubdivisionData.DetermineMaterial () (at <40e34d3c09734e828597afb2f90e2e92>:0)
    ParallaxOptimized.SubdivisionData..ctor (PQ quad, System.Int32 subdivisionLevel, System.Single subdivisionRadius, System.Boolean subdividable) (at <40e34d3c09734e828597afb2f90e2e92>:0)
    ParallaxOptimized.PQSMod_Subdivide.OnQuadBuilt (PQ quad) (at <40e34d3c09734e828597afb2f90e2e92>:0)
    PQS.Mod_OnQuadBuilt (PQ quad) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQS.BuildQuad (PQ quad) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQ.Build () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQ.SetVisible () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQ.UpdateVisibility () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQ.UpdateSubdivision () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQS.UpdateQuadsInit () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQS.StartSphere (System.Boolean force) (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQS.RebuildSphere () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    PQS.Update () (at <39c0323fb6b449a4aaf3465c00ed3c8d>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

Looks like parallax can't found Earth and thinks it still named Kerbin. More info in pictures.
There were no such problem with cbNameLater in parallax 1.3.1. Maybe I miss something obvious ¯\_(о_О)_/¯

KSP 1.12.3, RSS 19.0.5, Parallax 2.0.6, Kopernicus 153

Spoiler

GYX63Wp.jpg

cjFYi62.jpg

q8FcAkP.jpg

x7cCoN5.jpg

Is anyone having a similar issue to mine. Everytime I leave kerbin and then come back, Kerbin turns into a never ending desert. This doesn't only affect the KSC area, but the entirity of Kerbin and I don't know what could be causing this.  Besides this, the mod is working perfectly fine.image.png

Edited by Fezak
Typo

14 hours ago, Fezak said:

Is anyone having a similar issue to mine. Everytime I leave kerbin and then come back, Kerbin turns into a never ending desert. This doesn't only affect the KSC area, but the entirity of Kerbin and I don't know what could be causing this.  Besides this, the mod is working perfectly fine.image.png

Found out that it's not that Kerbin turns into a never ending desert when I return from another body. But the ground changes color to the ground colors of the previous body I've been into. Tried going to Minmus and the ground of Kerbin turned into that minty green. Then tried Duna and Eve and that confirmed my theory.

Problem with Beyond Home

For some reason, the Parallax ground is displaced downwards a bit, making anything I put on the surface of a planet seem like they're floating.

And as the cherry on top, my kerbals die and pop out of existence whenever I walk around using EVA.  (GAME-BREAKING BUG)

Any solutions?

I must say, now that KSP 2 EA is out, I think that this mod looks better than KSP 2. More ground scatter, better lighting, etc. Honestly Linx, you did a phenomenal job making this, especially because it can run on hardware way below than KSP 2 minimum. (Note that I am saying these things without having actually played KSP 2. My computer can't handle that! :/)

1 hour ago, Kerballlistic07 said:

I must say, now that KSP 2 EA is out, I think that this mod looks better than KSP 2. More ground scatter, better lighting, etc. Honestly Linx, you did a phenomenal job making this, especially because it can run on hardware way below than KSP 2 minimum. (Note that I am saying these things without having actually played KSP 2. My computer can't handle that! :/)

Thanks man! I try :) 

Honestly I must agree - but I am excited to see where KSP2 goes with the system as it is in its early stages. Nontheless I really appreciate the feedback!

On 2/21/2023 at 6:56 AM, Fezak said:

Found out that it's not that Kerbin turns into a never ending desert when I return from another body. But the ground changes color to the ground colors of the previous body I've been into. Tried going to Minmus and the ground of Kerbin turned into that minty green. Then tried Duna and Eve and that confirmed my theory.

Global Warming?

On 2/14/2023 at 9:19 PM, Anthares said:

Hi guys,

I found a weird bug that is happening in my current career save, whenever I try to launch something from the SPH there are a lot of shadows from what looks like invisible trees, however that's not the case when I launch the exact same rover in my sandbox save:

ICJB3tR.jpg

Could something be broken that only affects one save? I haven't checked because I don't have time, but could this be related to my other problem with the terrain hitbox being too high in some areas? (see quoted posts)

Hey, that's happening cause you are using TUFX ambient oclusion, try to change that. 

On 2/19/2023 at 4:16 PM, BIOZ said:

Hi. I'm in the process of adapting the old config for RSS, it works ok, but not for Kerbin/Earth

Can you post your WIP please? I'm not spending much time to look around KSC anymore anyway.

4 hours ago, Cairan said:

Please, I am begging you, port this to Linux! :) 

It works fine for me on Linux as far as I can tell.

I thought this mod was causing me massive stutter at high speed and low altitude, because of my GTX 1060 6GB VRAM being close to full.

The issue was caused by TUFX Ambiant Occlusion. (preset from Astronomer's Visual Pack (also, disable their chromatic abberation, who use this crap in 2023, makes everything blurry)

The more zoomed in on my spacecraft, the worse my fps get. When really close, I have like 5fps and stutter ... But at +50m away from spacecraft, I have 45-60fps.

I would advise anyone to stop using AO from TUFX for everyone without a RTX 4080 ^^

The AO isn't even that precise and good tbh. I would probably try MXAO from qUINT in ReShade, as it's way more precise and not that heavy in term of perf.

Now I can finally enjoy Parallax + Scatterer + eve redux at good speed.

Hi everyone, tried installing Parralax with no other mods, no error messages but seems like I'm stuck on stock KSP.

No errors that I can see in game or in KSP.log, happy to share any needed details.

KSP v1.12.5
Kopernicus 156
Parralax 2.0.6
Parralax StockTextures 2.0.0
Parralax ScatterTextures 2.0.1

Hey, i'm using a fresh installation on KSP 1.12.5 with Parallax and all the dependencies. When my vessel hits the ground, the grass and the trees flash (or flicker, idk). Maybe it's related to the game options? Or maybe kopernicus? I have no clue.

Its a little annoying and it makes a huge lag when it happens.

19 hours ago, jd284 said:

It works fine for me on Linux as far as I can tell.

You use the native Linux standalone KSP or playing thru Steam? I'm curious as I was told Parallax uses DirectX and not OpenGL.

Nevermind, I'm an idiot... Just saw in the first page requirements that OpenGL on Linux is supported... *facepalm* 

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd it works! :)

Edited by Cairan
I am an idiot

Hey. I probably found the part which breaks tessellation on Earth. I've changed this line in ParallaxOptimized.SubdivisionData.DetermineMaterial()

ParallaxBody body = ParallaxBodies.parallaxBodies[quad.sphereRoot.name];

to

ParallaxBody body = ParallaxBodies.parallaxBodies[FlightGlobals.currentMainBody.name];

Every planet I checked working good now.
Damn infinite terran forests look so beautiful (although I get true KSP2 fps experience ;)).

Spoiler

IsmHdb0.jpg

Hi, @jd284. I can post my WIP, but I'm using KSRSS configs and I don't want to redistribute their code. I can share my own code, but you have to download some KSRSS configs from GitLab (configs only, no models nor textures). If you ok, I'll write the exact instructions for installation.

Did anyone encountered a bug when you put the camera near the ground and it shows some black dots/artifacts flickering? I think it's related to some mod or the configuration, but idk. Maybe someone can help

I uninstalled parallax and it's not showing now, so maybe it's related?

Edit: Not related but, is it possible to add parallax trees for KSC view and near it? Thank you

Edited by NaviG

KSRSS Reborn doesn't work with Parallax despite having configs for Parallax. The game gets stuck on an infinite loading screen before reaching the main menu. I've spent a while trying to determine the cause of this problem and have narrowed it down to Parallax being the issue. Does anyone know how to fix this? KSRSS Reborn does have Parallax configs, like I said.

18 hours ago, NaviG said:

Did anyone encountered a bug when you put the camera near the ground and it shows some black dots/artifacts flickering? I think it's related to some mod or the configuration, but idk. Maybe someone can help

I uninstalled parallax and it's not showing now, so maybe it's related?

Edit: Not related but, is it possible to add parallax trees for KSC view and near it? Thank you

I found this is due to normals not being correct leaving holes in the meshes, and is related to the pile of shader tricks Scatterer is pulling alongside this. I ended up reinstalling both and that fixed the issue.

On 2/27/2023 at 11:05 PM, BIOZ said:

Hi, @jd284. I can post my WIP, but I'm using KSRSS configs and I don't want to redistribute their code. I can share my own code, but you have to download some KSRSS configs from GitLab (configs only, no models nor textures). If you ok, I'll write the exact instructions for installation.

Hmm, I'm using the full-scale RSS so I'm not sure how well that would work then. In that case I think I'll just wait until someone makes a proper RSS config.

28 minutes ago, Moose said:

I found this is due to normals not being correct leaving holes in the meshes, and is related to the pile of shader tricks Scatterer is pulling alongside this. I ended up reinstalling both and that fixed the issue.

Just to say, found that this is a known bug and known bugfix is to disable the option "Merge depth pre-pass into main depth" in "customize settings" on the KSC general view from Scatterer

Maybe when you reinstalled, it disabled that option by default, idk. 

Edited by NaviG