Hunting the 10,000 Pm SSTV signal

Nazalassa

I just found this and HOLY [EXPLETETIVE REDACTED] THIS IS INTERESTING!

Now, there was some talk about the SSTV signal only being heard at precisely 10 000 petameters, and the Alt+F12 menu being too imprecise, now here's the thing:

My KSP install is at version 1.11.4. 

At this version, there is a powerful cheat tool which can place things at literal MILLIMETER PRECISION. I can testify this is true, for i had to once use this at such precision with ladders being buggy. Could this be the key to finally finding out if this hypothetical one-in-a-million-chance SSTV easter egg is true, and if it is, to recording it?

P.S. If the signal still only exists in later versions, perhaps this cheat tool can be modded to these older versions? Also, new page of good luck!

Edited by Maria Sirona
Post scriptum

1 minute ago, Maria Sirona said:

At this version, there is a powerful cheat tool which can place things at literal MILLIMETER PRECISION. I can testify this is true, for i had to once use this at such precision with ladders being buggy. Could this be the key to finally finding out if this hypothetical one-in-a-million-chance SSTV easter egg is true, and if it is, to recording it?

I suggest you give it a test! If you do, don't forget to record the whole thing so we can make a video after -- and decode ther thing too :)

37 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

I suggest you give it a test! If you do, don't forget to record the whole thing so we can make a video after -- and decode ther thing too :)

Nah i won't actually do that, i'm too lazy. I was just suggesting an idea for you guys to do, and the glory of coming up with the idea is enough for me.

Edited by Maria Sirona

51 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

My KSP install is at version 1.11.4. 

7 minutes ago, Maria Sirona said:

Mod? I was sharing an idea of converying a feature into a mod for an earlier version

Ah, I must've misunderstood.

But if this is a cheat that works in KSP 1.11, I'm going to try it in 1.11 -- maybe the SSTV is here.

Edited by Nazalassa
midzsiuvbwsbvuydsi fn uf d

BTW, here's a step-by-step guide to turning off the music:

1: Open the game's pause menu.¹

2. Click the "Settings" button.

3: Scroll down until you reach the volume section. 

4: Turn the music volume down.

DISCLAIMER: I do not know if this volume section exists in earlier versions. There's also a chance the signal counts as part of the music variety of sounds, in which case turning the music off would also turn off the SSTV. Regardless, i think it's worth a try! Have you tried in 1.11 yet, @Nazalassa

¹Footnote: it is also through this pause menu that the cheat menu i mentioned earlier is accessed. Just click the small "click here for version info" text and voilà, the cheat menu is right in front of you.

4 hours ago, Maria Sirona said:

it is also through this pause menu that the cheat menu i mentioned earlier is accessed. Just click the small "click here for version info" text and voilà, the cheat menu is right in front of you.

Ah, if you were talking about the alt-F12 menu, I've already used it. However, even if it seems to be very precise, it is sadly not -- it's limited by the internal representation of the coordinates, which are very unprecise when they get very big (and 10,000 Pm is very big).

Update:

• Finally reinstalled a Steam client.
  • I figured out how to start and use the Steam console.
  • I tried to run "download_depot" on an old depot for my platform. It failed, and said "Depot download failed : missing license for depots 202203".
  • I am currently installing KSP using Steam, to try to "fix" the problem.
  • KSP download complete.
  • Tried to run the command again, failed with same message.
  • Error spotted: typed "202200" and "202203" instead of "220200" and "220203".
  • Trying to run the command again...
  • It's downloading without errors.
  • 406 Mb to get...
  • Emptied Steam KSP directory.
  • Download failed: "src:/clientdll/depotdownloadmgr.cpp (xxxx) : Assertion Failed: CDepotDownloadMgr::BYldRequestDepotChunks: same chunk requested twice for depot 220203".
  • I thought I had stopped the command, but no. Hence the error.
  • Restarted Steam.
  • Trying to download manifest corresponding to KSP 1.12.
  • Manifest downloaded, but there is no executable file.
  • Trying to download older manifest.
  • For the older manifest, there is an executable file.
  • Older manifest downloaded.
Edited by Nazalassa
reduced clutter :)

Wait wait wait this may not be an old version actually... The readme says it's KSP 1.12 (the manifest is from like ten years ago) and the Gamedata is all messed up.

Just launching it to see what happens...

uuuh

All the texts are #autolocks... Weird! The files probably got corrupted. Give me a few minutes to take screenshots.

I guess the executable file is the one from KSP 1.12 but part of the files are from KSP 0.19.1 ??  They were downloading at the same time probably...

Edited by Nazalassa
clutter :( --> Post repurposed.

Ah!
The other download worked and wasn't corrupted!
I can now play KSP 0.19.1.0!

The old KSC!
The old parts!
The old planets!

How low on memory it is, compared to KSP 1.12.3!

Wonderful.
Just have to get the right manifest now that I know how to do it, and start hunting that SSTV signal again.

32 minutes ago, Nazalassa said:

How low on memory it is, compared to KSP 1.12.3!

KSP 1.12.3 (with like 20-30 mods I think?) almost consumes all my available RAM (8gb, about 95% usage when I'm playing), it probably takes up a bit of the swap partition the entire time I'm playing (before it finally leaks enough memory and crashes the desktop). 1.0.5 only takes up almost 2gb. I need to download more RAM...

20 hours ago, Nazalassa said:

Ah, if you were talking about the alt-F12 menu, I've already used it. However, even if it seems to be very precise, it is sadly not -- it's limited by the internal representation of the coordinates, which are very unprecise when they get very big (and 10,000 Pm is very big).

No i'm not talking about alt-F12, but it is an in game feature. 

#autoLOC_586026

I decided to download every alpha (and beta) version while I was on Steam, and it took me two days tanks to school and the slow internet at home, but now I am ready to launch KSP 0.22!
OK, it's getting late there, so that'll probably going to be for tomorrow...

I have to fix file ownership issues.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:22 PM, emord-nillap said:

The suspense!

I'll try to upload a few screenshots. I want to make a video for the whole thing, but video editing is quite long and I don't have an account at any video-hosting platform (like YouTube) so I won't be able to upload the video until I get one.

See you tomorrow!

Spoiler

P.S: The file ownership problems were fixed with a quick  sudo chown -R nazalassa:nazalassa ~/Utility/KSP-OLD/  and the settings are fine.

Edited by Nazalassa
Added image :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.