Hunting the 10,000 Pm SSTV signal

Nazalassa

Remember everyone, this is a scientific experiment, not a battlefield :rolleyes:

In other news: KSP 1.2.2 RUNNING! The experiment comes back! (apparently with half fps.)

Checklist:
  - Turn off music -- check!
  - Change key bindings -- check!
  - Test Alt-F12 -- check!
  - Start new save -- check!
  - Build probe -- check!
  - Launch probe -- check!

( new page -- check! )

If anyone still has a version of KSP from the beginning of 2014, you can try -- but I don't, so I think I'll stop searching for this thing.

But if you have such a version of KSP, please don't give a download link or otherwise make it available to download here -- this is software piracy (and it's not good). (but you want to try it, there's no problem, playing an old version of KSP you legally obtained isn't yet software piracy)

Or maybe, maybe there signal in the Windows version, but nt in the Linux version? (I use Linux)

Spoiler

I don't have such a version of KSP, unless I can find some folder named "KSP" in one of my hard disk saves :)

Oh and, one last thing: if you want to try it, please record at least your sound so that we'll have the signal, even if it plays only once.

Due to some imprecision with the way KSP represents numbers, you have a margin (when using alt+F12 or HE) of like 50,000 km. However the difference between the centers of Kerbol and Kerbin is between 13,000,000 km (correct me if I'm wrong) so it will still make a difference.

1 hour ago, Nazalassa said:

Due to some imprecision with the way KSP represents numbers, you have a margin (when using alt+F12 or HE) of like 50,000 km. However the difference between the centers of Kerbol and Kerbin is between 13,000,000 km (correct me if I'm wrong) so it will still make a difference.

not much for 100000000000000000000 km!

I just tested this in 1.8.3.  Simple drone, used HE to get an orbit of 10kPm around the Sun.  Nothing.  Tried to set that same orbit over Kerbin, and got an error message indicating that the orbit was out of the reference body's SOI.

So, failure for me!

The oldest version I used is 1.2.2 from December 2016.

Version 1.05 (the oldest we can legally obtain) is from November 2015.

According to the version history, the SSTV signal should be present near version...
...0.22?? (+1)

1 minute ago, Scarecrow71 said:

You know, this got me wondering.  Is there a way to create SSTV signals and insert them into the game via a mod?  Like, could I create an SSTV signal of some kind and then, using a mod, import it into the game for people to find?

I think there's such a thing in Chatterer...

1 minute ago, Scarecrow71 said:

Like, could I create an SSTV signal of some kind and then, using a mod, import it into the game for people to find?

That'd be cool for a mod that adds a "Story mode" it could be some kind of scavenger hunt with SSTV signals, maybe you could have a parts that is an "SSTV Decoder" that would show the SSTV image if you don't know how to decode it.

About user-created content I got a crazy idea...

The KSP community (and beyond) creates from scratch a KSP-like game that would be more axed on the community, modding, compatibility, etc.
Why not?

But that's not what this thread is about, and I don't think  lot of people would want to participate anyways.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.