High-Res SCANSat heightmap for rover navigation?

MAFman

Not the *exact* answer to your question, but would this help?

https://kerbal-maps.finitemonkeys.org/

There was a link to a dev version, that had, IIRC, JNSQ maps & mebbe some other planet packs, done & added... which i cant find the link to :face_palm: .... IIRC, @JadeOfMaar may have helped do some of the JNSQ maps, & mebbe has a link? vOv

If you capable/interested, the instructions on github, detail how to prepare/convert maps from other planet packs:
https://github.com/FiniteMonkeys/kerbal-maps

Edited by Stone Blue

I actually realized that downloading a map that's high enough resolution would take a ridiculous amount of data. How do I navigate a rover using kOS without needing every terrain height value on Kerbin?

On 10/13/2022 at 1:34 PM, Stone Blue said:

There was a link to a dev version, that had, IIRC, JNSQ maps

https://kerbal-maps-ui-staging.herokuapp.com/ ... just JNSQ. Somewhat surprisingly, this site is still up.

On 10/13/2022 at 12:10 PM, MAFman said:

How do I export a height map from ScanSat that's high enough resolution to do pathfinding for a rover? Hopefully something like 10 to 100 meters per pixel.

1. Open Settings.
  2. In the Settings window: Set your map width (this affects the map window in-game. Unfortunately if you want super high res, be prepapred to deal with that window running ultra far off the screen edge or the mod refuses you because of some upper limit).
  3. Export map to disk. Repeat after changing the map to resources or whatever. The current active map will be exported.
  4. Find the image in GameData/SCANsat/PluginData/

BUo7a7d.png

Changing the active map's color:

1. Click Settings.
  2. In the Settings window: Go to Color Management.
  3. Go to or stay on the Altimetry tab.
  4. Change Palette Style from Fixed to Sequential.
  5. Click on any palette that suits you (Some of these gradients are easier or easiest to convert to a grayscale map in photoshop: Just desaturate and invert color. Pick the palettes that are closest to "White to Dark Color"). I believe the ones with pink ticks are the best.
  6. Apply palette.
  7. Export image.
  8. Find the image in GameData/SCANsat/PluginData/

nk66jPZ.png

Poodmund's suggestion is likely far easier to use. Sigma88's mods are suppose to be quite minimalistic and should "just work." But I've never used it so no straight answer, sorry.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

3 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Poodmund's suggestion is likely far easier to use. Sigma88's mods are suppose to be quite minimalistic and should "just work." But I've never used it so no straight answer, sorry.

SigmaCartographer is how all those maps for the website were actually done...
Thats what the instructions are for on the repo: How to use it to get those highres maps :P

• 6 months later...
On 10/14/2022 at 1:44 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

https://kerbal-maps-ui-staging.herokuapp.com/ ... just JNSQ. Somewhat surprisingly, this site is still up.

1. Open Settings.
  2. In the Settings window: Set your map width (this affects the map window in-game. Unfortunately if you want super high res, be prepapred to deal with that window running ultra far off the screen edge or the mod refuses you because of some upper limit).
  3. Export map to disk. Repeat after changing the map to resources or whatever. The current active map will be exported.
  4. Find the image in GameData/SCANsat/PluginData/

BUo7a7d.png

Changing the active map's color:

1. Click Settings.
  2. In the Settings window: Go to Color Management.
  3. Go to or stay on the Altimetry tab.
  4. Change Palette Style from Fixed to Sequential.
  5. Click on any palette that suits you (Some of these gradients are easier or easiest to convert to a grayscale map in photoshop: Just desaturate and invert color. Pick the palettes that are closest to "White to Dark Color"). I believe the ones with pink ticks are the best.
  6. Apply palette.
  7. Export image.
  8. Find the image in GameData/SCANsat/PluginData/

nk66jPZ.png

I really wish there was a back-door way to do this qwithout being foreced to do it throught the UI. I've done it a couple times (exporting maps of all three projections of each type of each planet) but its exhausting and slow through UI and having to wait for maps to refresh. If there was something like SigmaCartographer but that would pull these scansat Maps during the load, that would be amazing.

SigmaCartographer literally generates its maps upon game load... so once you get to the Main Menu the maps are generated. This is why if you use it to generate large resolution maps, it sits for ages at the blank screen before the Main Menu. There is no UI, its all config based setup.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.