Kerbal Kart Konfirmed?!?

TLTay

15 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

you do realize that would be an 1800+ km (around 1200 mi) race right? and thats if there was was a straight line.

I probably should have said this in my first post but I would not expect anyone to do the entire trip in one sitting. In a multiplayer server I would expect after a few hours of driving, everyone would agree when to stop, then their progress would be saved to continue at a later date. People shouldn't be forced to complete the entire trip at once because most people don't have time to sit in front of a computer for who knows how long. Maybe there is some daredevil that would actually try to do it all at once. But for any normal group who did this, I expect they would split up the race into several different sessions since it probably is not fun to do all at once.

12 hours ago, Xelo said:

Id imagine there would be alot of rule sharking of what exactly a 'rover' is and how close a rover can be to an icbm to avoid the race taking literally 20 irl hours to complete xD 

Honestly, I'm not the best at rover designing but if I had to make one rule it would be, No using rocket engines, any power comes from the wheels, not rockets attached. (jets are out also but that isn't a problem because they don't work on Duna anyway) for any optional rover additions you would probably also want to bring along some spare parts and some repair kits (If KSP 2 will have 1.11 style repair and inventory system I assume it will) so if you do get into an accident you can fix the damage as long as you bring an engineer. and obviously you would need a way to recharge your batteries, preferably faster than they drain so you don't need to stop every 10 minutes. But if my race idea did become a thing I would probably need someone smarter than me to make up better rules.

Sorry for not making those things clearer in my first post. My Duna endurance race is just an idea and there may be more things I haven't considered.

as a fan of things like 24 hour races like lemans, daytona, etc... i like the idea of endurance racing in ksp. i think the best way to do it would be to make it more of a "challenge" that people can do in their own time. their race time would be judged by the in-game mission timer. obviously doing it all together in multiplayer would be really cool, but you may not find many people that can dedicate that much time all at once to do a head-to-head enduro. 

8 hours ago, The Laythean said:

Honestly, I'm not the best at rover designing but if I had to make one rule it would be, No using rocket engines, any power comes from the wheels, not rockets attached. (jets are out also but that isn't a problem because they don't work on Duna anyway) for any optional rover additions you would probably also want to bring along some spare parts and some repair kits (If KSP 2 will have 1.11 style repair and inventory system I assume it will) so if you do get into an accident you can fix the damage as long as you bring an engineer. and obviously you would need a way to recharge your batteries, preferably faster than they drain so you don't need to stop every 10 minutes. But if my race idea did become a thing I would probably need someone smarter than me to make up better rules.

I would probably allow rocket or propeller engines, but add a rule saying 90% of the trip has to be the rover contacting the ground so you cant just go into orbit. That way there is a interesting dynamic between having an uncontrollable heavy rover that is fast and a slower, lighter rover that is easy to maneuver around the big rocks on the surface and avoid crashes. 

15 hours ago, Xelo said:

I would probably allow rocket or propeller engines, but add a rule saying 90% of the trip has to be the rover contacting the ground so you cant just go into orbit. That way there is a interesting dynamic between having an uncontrollable heavy rover that is fast and a slower, lighter rover that is easy to maneuver around the big rocks on the surface and avoid crashes. 

If a rover is able to put itself in orbit either your on Gilly or Jebs been tinkering again….. or someone’s confused landers and rovers again.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:55 PM, The Laythean said:

I think rover racing would be a really cool activity for KSP 2 multiplayer, before I found this thread I had actually come up with an idea for a multiplayer race where basically, all participants would need to build a rover capable of completing a race from Duna's north pole all the way to the south pole. A race not only to test everyone's driving skill, but their endurance and building skills. And if your rover crashed or broke down before reaching the south pole, you would be eliminated. (Also no time warp, that would be considered cheating) The winner would be the one to reach the south pole first, or if everyone else was eliminated the winner is the last one still going.  I'm really interested to see how a concept like that could work in a KSP 2 multiplayer server, especially if racing rovers are going to be a thing. (Also if anyone steals my idea and does this race themselves when KSP 2 multiplayer comes out, please make a video or something I would be curious to see the entire race.)

When I read your post I remembered this

it is not a race, but follows the spirit....

On 1/16/2023 at 1:04 AM, Wheehaw Kerman said:

If it has wheels and can rove, it’s a rover, even if it can reach orbit!

SvbppcW.png
Two rovers, the base has retractable wheels, now I would not call the base an rover, it has wheels to connect to landers for refueling them. 
I also use that rover type with an rocket engine and fuel tank on the mun for contracts like repairing rovers or rescuing kerbals.  The wheels makes up for landing errors. 

On 1/16/2023 at 12:13 AM, Xelo said:

Maybe a small rocket and fuel tank could be allowed to act as a sort of boost system? A lot of KSP rovers aren't really fast normally so some rocket fuel for a boost might make things more interesting, no matter how long or short a race is. You would also need to think carefully about when to use it as you could only carry so much fuel in one rover. And the dynamic between different types of rovers you were mentioning, that's one thing I was really aiming for around the "Build your own racing rover" idea. Seeing what ideas people could come up with, what types of rovers would work the best in this type of race. Would larger tankier rovers be able to survive the Dunatian environment better, would smaller more manuverable rovers come out on top, or something completely different?

I have been thinking over my idea for a Duna endurance race for some time now, and I'm considering posting it as a challenge thread in the future. But I'm gonna wait until KSP 2 is out. I think the new things in KSP 2 like the improved planetary geography and new vehicle parts could make the challenge much more interesting, plus it gives me time to get used to the changes in KSP 2 and plan out the rules for the challenge better.