Improved engine placement to avoid using engine plates and creation different interstages

In KSP1, when you connect the decoupler to the engine, it creates a protective cover of the same diameter as the engine
example1photoresizer.png

But if you decide, say in order to save weight, that a smaller engine is enough for you, you immediately run into the above property. This property can't always be corrected, because not all engines have a models with a different shroud diameters. As a result, the shroud will not be the diameter of the tank, but the diameter of the engine, which is very inconvenient in flight

example3photoresizer.png

This problem in KSP1 is solved by installing the engine to a special part, the engine plate, which can be used to make different configurations of the propulsion system. But there is a disadvantage - the engine plate adds weight to the craft and, still, has, a limited number of configurations for engines

example2photoresizer.png

I propose to get rid of the engine plates and allow players to install the engines as they want, which will expand the creative freedom. The idea is that after you create an any engine configuration on a stage, you put a decoupler that matches the diameter of that stage and it covers all the engines with one shroud that matches the tank diameter of the stage and decoupler. This will make it much easier to create crafts.
And it will be better, if shroud could change its shape. For example, if lower stage tank has another diameter, you choose decoupler of its diameter and shroud would look like SLS universal stage adapter. I believe that creation of any interstages  depending on the size of the parts will benefit the process of creating crafts.  Crafts would be more diverse and there would be less hassle with creating non-standard crafts 

9 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I've heard something about adjustable interstages developed exactly to avoid that, but don't quote me on that.

Too late! :b 
In the video they did say they will have adjustable interstages like what people did with fairings in ksp1.

I think that KSP2 will have a lot of procedural stuff implemented, for example fuel tanks, aerodynamic surfaces, etc. I don't know about shrouds, but my solution for now is simple. I basically remove the shroud and install a fairing under the lower stage's separator to cover the engine(s) and then I basically make it stage so it ejects with the spent stage. Not only is it a better way, it also looks better when you configure the fairing properly, separates kinda like a real stage of a spacecraft.

12 minutes ago, ShuttlePilot said:

I think that KSP2 will have a lot of procedural stuff implemented, for example fuel tanks, aerodynamic surfaces, etc. I don't know about shrouds, but my solution for now is simple. I basically remove the shroud and install a fairing under the lower stage's separator to cover the engine(s) and then I basically make it stage so it ejects with the spent stage. Not only is it a better way, it also looks better when you configure the fairing properly, separates kinda like a real stage of a spacecraft.

I do the same thing, but I think it is intricate way, because maybe fairings in KSP1 were not considered to be used in this way. But in KSP 2 may be interstages with the same mechanic of working as fairings

17 hours ago, Vortygont said:

I do the same thing, but I think it is intricate way, because maybe fairings in KSP1 were not considered to be used in this way. But in KSP 2 may be interstages with the same mechanic of working as fairings

KSP 1 support fairings as interstages. So you could build something like Saturn 5 3rd stage with the LEM inside tapering fairing,  then the service module and capsule. 
However this require that the service module engine is connected to the docking port of the LEM. 
In real life the service module was connected to the interstage / cargo bay doors not the LEM and it would been no issue with two engines on it. 
Kind of hope KSP 2 combine interstage combine the best part of the KSP 1 fairing as interstage and the engine plates. 

19 hours ago, ShuttlePilot said:

I know we're getting procedural wings and radiators but I haven't seen anything for fuel tanks. 

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

I know we're getting procedural wings and radiators but I haven't seen anything for fuel tanks. 

Looking at the fuel tank list in the VAB I'm pretty sure we will not get it.  We will get new tanks like longer tiny tanks than the oscar. 
Only see tanks up to some of the medium as in 2.5 meter, no 1.85 meter tanks but we only see an quarter of the tanks. 
Also a question of fuel, xenon still has the xenon tanks so assume many special tanks. 

50 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Looking at the fuel tank list in the VAB I'm pretty sure we will not get it.  We will get new tanks like longer tiny tanks than the oscar. 
Only see tanks up to some of the medium as in 2.5 meter, no 1.85 meter tanks but we only see an quarter of the tanks. 
Also a question of fuel, xenon still has the xenon tanks so assume many special tanks. 

I disagree, because in some video or post there were medium tanks. For clarity - 1.85m - medium, 2.5m - large. You can see on screenshot medium tanks
sP5PZpDphotoresizerr.png

And also we know that there are details with bigger sizes - Large (of course), X Large, XX large

Here is another copy from the ksp wiki about the radial size:

• Tiny / 0.625m. Typically used for probes and nose electronics.
  • Small / 1.25m. The most common size, and the primary size available at the beginning of the game, and about the same relative size to kerbals as the Redstone's tanks to humans.
  • (DLC) Medium / 1.875m. This size is based on the Russian R-7 rocket family and the American Gemini program.
  • Large / 2.5m / Rockomax. This size is about the same relative size to kerbals as the Atlas V or Falcon 9's tanks to humans.
  • Extra Large / 3.75m / Kerbodyne. Styled after NASA's real-world Space Launch System, which uses Rocketdyne RS-25 and RL10 engines.
  • (DLC) Huge / 5m / Kerbodyne S4. This is styled after the Saturn V rocket used in the Apollo program. It is notable for not having ready-made engines of this size; the player is supposed to assemble custom engine clusters to move Huge rockets.

UPD: 
    here is screenshot of sizes for engines
    engines.png
Edited by Vortygont
Added tank and engine sizes

14 hours ago, Vortygont said:

I disagree, because in some video or post there were medium tanks. For clarity - 1.85m - medium, 2.5m - large. You can see on screenshot medium tanks
sP5PZpDphotoresizerr.png

And also we know that there are details with bigger sizes - Large (of course), X Large, XX large

Here is another copy from the ksp wiki about the radial size:

• Tiny / 0.625m. Typically used for probes and nose electronics.
  • Small / 1.25m. The most common size, and the primary size available at the beginning of the game, and about the same relative size to kerbals as the Redstone's tanks to humans.
  • (DLC) Medium / 1.875m. This size is based on the Russian R-7 rocket family and the American Gemini program.
  • Large / 2.5m / Rockomax. This size is about the same relative size to kerbals as the Atlas V or Falcon 9's tanks to humans.
  • Extra Large / 3.75m / Kerbodyne. Styled after NASA's real-world Space Launch System, which uses Rocketdyne RS-25 and RL10 engines.
  • (DLC) Huge / 5m / Kerbodyne S4. This is styled after the Saturn V rocket used in the Apollo program. It is notable for not having ready-made engines of this size; the player is supposed to assemble custom engine clusters to move Huge rockets.

UPD: 
    here is screenshot of sizes for engines
    engines.png

I thought you was correct however remember this image of command modules. 
Screenshot-20221029-152614.png

Show the landing can and the cupola as medium and the space shuttle cockpit as large combines with some new parts like an 3.75 meter probe core and something I believe is the rover cockpit from the latest trailer. 
I assume x large is 5 meter. 
Now 2x and 3x large make me exited, I assume 2x is 7.5 meter and 3x is 10 meter or larger. 

Note that sorting is a bit off the toroid tank is in x-small even if 1.25 meter just because its small.