[1.12] FreeIva

JonnyOThan

19 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Thanks for the report.  I'd guess that these props have their colliders on layer 16 instead of 20 (which most props should be).  Without FreeIVA, both layers are interactable with the mouse but when FreeIVA is installed, layer 16 is reserved for kerbal colliders and layer 20 is for props.  I can probably fix this by changing the collider layers at runtime, but it would need a patch for every broken prop.

Oh goodness.  Well, let me know if I can be of any help.  Until then, I'll just enjoy running around the stockalike space station!

Just now, orionguy said:

Oh goodness.  Well, let me know if I can be of any help.  Until then, I'll just enjoy running around the stockalike space station!

There is *one* button prop in *one* of the SSPX centrifuges that also has this problem, and before I changed how some physics stuff works it used to punt you out of the centrifuge if you touched it.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:28 PM, JonnyOThan said:

There is *one* button prop in *one* of the SSPX centrifuges that also has this problem, and before I changed how some physics stuff works it used to punt you out of the centrifuge if you touched it.

That's funny that this was the reason... indeed before the last update I got randomly thrown out of centrifuge gravity mode several times while running around in SSPXr's 'Coriolis' centrifuge. Now, after the update, that still happens in a craft that I have built before the update (am I right and the culprit is that fire extinguisher - or is it a different prop?) but I haven't been able to replicate the issue with a 'Coriolis' in a vessel built after the update.

Now I thought I'd take the opportunity and report on a few other things I noticed while I was messing around for fun with SSPXr's centrifuges and FreeIva:
1. With the large 'Mercury' centrifuge it is just a little more cumbersome to get out of the gravity mode than it is with smaller centrifuges like the 'Coriolis': In the latter, when you climb up into the center section and jump once you're there, the gravity mode is easily disengaged. Instead, in the 'Mercury' I additionally had to move a bit along the center section away from where the rotating hatches are. Merely jumping while in the center section of the 'Mercury' with engaged gravity mode instead leads to a weird visual effect where the centrifuge appears to rotate very quickly as one reaches the highest point of one's jump.
2. Also in the 'Mercury' centrifuge, while climbing the ladders up to the central section, the Kerbal tends to slowly move away from the ladder. When I don't pay attention I often lose grip and fall back down before I reach the top. To my knowledge this effect is consistent with (and may actually be due to) the Coriolis force. Thus you may argue that you may want to keep it like that (even although it sounds unlikely to me that astronauts would lose their grip on a ladder because of such an effect even when not paying attention).
3. And again in the 'Mercury' centrifuge I noticed an issue with the first hatch one has to open when climbing from the outside to the center: Upon opening it doesn't get replaced with a hole but with a visual (but non-collidable) wall one has to climb through.
4. Transferring a Kerbal into or out of a spinning centrifuge (using 'transfer crew' in the parts' right-click menus) and subsequently trying to unbuckle them will break the unbuckle feature for me: The Kerbal gets stuck into a state where most of the keys will do nothing (including 'C'). Pressing 'Y' again won't do anything, either, except for displaying "Unbluckled" once more. After entering and exiting the map view, the Kerbal is reset to a proper buckled state. However from this point on, trying to unbuckle any Kerbal anywhere on the ship will get them into the same stuck state as before. I was able to fix this, e.g., by going to the tracking station and reloading the vessel.

But anyhow I have to say that I am really amazed with how well the gravity in centrifuges already works. I didn't believe something like this was possible! And that is not the only thing: I have had it several times when playing around with your mod that I noticed, you know, an inconvenience or something that felt like a missing feature, but I (who by the way really has no experience at all with real programming) thought: "Yeah, this probably can't be fixed and it's a sacrifice one has to make for this mod's awesome functionality" or "well, maybe at some point in the future they will tackle this but it's probably far too ambitious for now" - only then to find out that this exact issue was already in the list of planned features on your github and was already being worked on.
So, that is to say, I love your ambition and your dedication to make this mod into a masterpiece. I hope you'll keep it up! (Besides, I'd be willing to call it a masterpiece already now, just for the idea and how it allows you to really 'feel' your spaceships and space stations. It's so cool.)

Just noticed OPT Support is on the TODO list!! Hurrah! Luckily for you a few of the IVAs are copied over to other Cockpits so at least they are not all unique.

I figured I'd comment to add "OPT Support" to the SEO for FreeIVA googlers.

Edited by ElonsMusk

On 1/5/2023 at 1:04 PM, JonnyOThan said:

Thanks for the report.  I'd guess that these props have their colliders on layer 16 instead of 20 (which most props should be).  Without FreeIVA, both layers are interactable with the mouse but when FreeIVA is installed, layer 16 is reserved for kerbal colliders and layer 20 is for props.  I can probably fix this by changing the collider layers at runtime, but it would need a patch for every broken prop.

Thinking about this problem a little bit, it occurs to me that we don't really need to be able to interact with mas, rpm or aset props while we are floating with freeIVA, and vice versa we don't really need the colliders while we are seated and using interactive IVA props. So I'm wondering if it could be possible to re-load the flight scene when ever you try to unbuckle or sit down again, with colliders only being enabled while unbuckled? This would save you from having to patch every single conflicting prop from each separate mod.

Edited by Errol

1 hour ago, Errol said:

we don't really need to be able to interact with mas, rpm or aset props while we are floating with freeIVA

You're right, we don't need it. However, I find it pretty dang neato. You know in the MK2 Cockpit you can flip around in the second seat and access Docking Mode out the window? That's one of my favourite pieces of stock IVA. Freely accessing displays allows that immersion.

Yes, I definitely value that interaction while unbuckled.  However the suggestion is a good one - I'm pretty sure I can re-enable those props for clicking when you are buckled.  They still might block your movement when you're unbuckled, and you won't be able to click them while unbuckled, but it's a decent blanket fix without having to patch everything that is set up wrong.

So this is funny....I went and looked at the code and it should already be doing that.  So another possible explanation is that the shell colliders from FreeIva are actually a little too tight - if they're in front of the prop, you won't be able to click it.

Well this is quite a head scratcher....I CAN use the GPS knob if I unbuckle and get closer to it.

OK, so yeah this is just a combination of things that is not so surprising: When you are unbuckled, your mouse clicks will not hit the Kerbals layer (so you don't click on yourself).  If the shell collider is too tight, it will block mouse clicks while you are buckled.

I could also disable clicking on layer 16 when you are buckled, but then any props that are in the wrong layer won't be clickable.  I can always fix the colliders as we find these issues, but that will depend on people reporting them.

@orionguyIf you find any other places that are a problem please let me know!

Edited by JonnyOThan

On 1/3/2023 at 7:51 AM, JonnyOThan said:

All stock part EVA hatches now have an attachment node so you can connect other crewed parts there to pass through

Quick question on that: Do these additional attachment nodes affect the aerodynamics of a vehicle (like how non-covered attachment nodes often produce notable drag)?

49 minutes ago, Kerbolox said:

Quick question on that: Do these additional attachment nodes affect the aerodynamics of a vehicle (like how non-covered attachment nodes often produce notable drag)?

If you're not using them, they shouldn't.  But attaching something there might reduce the drag.

On 1/14/2023 at 8:00 PM, JonnyOThan said:

@orionguyIf you find any other places that are a problem please let me know!

I will!  But unfortunately, I have uninstalled FreeIVA for my current career playthrough.  Maybe I'll mess around with it again in a sandbox install.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

There appears to be a bug with the newest version, causing a fatal error with B9PartSwitch.

Quoting the error message:

B9PartSwitch has encountered a fatal error and KSP needs to close.

No subtypes found ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='FreeIva_fuelSwitch') on part

Please see KSP's log for additional details.

Reverting to the previous version fixes this.
If need be, I can provide my log file.

3 hours ago, JordanLOL said:

There appears to be a bug with the newest version, causing a fatal error with B9PartSwitch.

Quoting the error message:

B9PartSwitch has encountered a fatal error and KSP needs to close.

No subtypes found ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='FreeIva_fuelSwitch') on part

Please see KSP's log for additional details.

Reverting to the previous version fixes this.
If need be, I can provide my log file.

Yes please provide the log file.  This is likely a bad interaction with some other mod, and I have no way to know what it is without the logs.  In the meantime you can delete FreeIva/Squad/b9ps_fueltanks.cfg but you won't be able to make the fuel tanks passable.

Edited by JonnyOThan

50 minutes ago, JonnyOThan said:

Yes please provide the log file.  This is likely a bad interaction with some other mod, and I have no way to know what it is without the logs.  In the meantime you can delete FreeIva/Squad/b9ps_fueltanks.cfg but you won't be able to make the fuel tanks passable.

I am going get back to you as soon as possible.

Edit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sk3W6Jn19rNkr4LEr_R5bRFH5fD4xjiO/view?usp=sharing

Edited by JordanLOL
Added the link for my log.

On 1/20/2023 at 11:37 AM, JonnyOThan said:

I just tried installing the new FreeIva version and am also getting the same error from B9. 

freeiva.png

Log is here... https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WO9MIdyPa3Ygi-eHLlljtOjklSANUcA0/view?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Matt

New version available: https://github.com/pizzaoverhead/FreeIva/releases/tag/0.2.5.2

Notable Changes

• Added support for the ASET mk1-2 IVA (Use Reviva to use this IVA in the mk1-3 pod).
  • Revamped models in all stock multi-adapter parts (Thanks @Icecovery )
  • Added passthrough support to 1.875m tanks from Making History

Bug Fixes Etc.

• Disabled fuel tank passthrough configs when ModularFuelTanks or ConfigurableContainers is installed
  • Fixed hatch issue in mk1-4 pod from NearFutureSpacecraft
  • Fixed hatch and collisions issues in some SSPX parts
  • Fixed an issue with "temporary" seats like the one in the inline docking port
  • Fixed RPM configuration in inline docking port
  • Fixed hatch tubes not using the proper size when the attachnodes were changed by b9ps (e.g. planetside endcaps)
  • Changed shadow and lighting configuration in the internal space