What will be your ideal craft or colony?

GoldForest

Another cool interstellar ship design I'd want to make is probably the Exodus series colony ship from the Destiny video game series:

400px-Destiny_colony_ship_concept.png

Apparently these are designed to SSTO from Earth and get underway on their interplanetary and/or interstellar journies using the fuel in the three spherical tanks on the top, which are later converted into habitation spaces for the colonists once the fuel in them is all used up. Not sure why they wouldn't just be built in space, but it seems to work for them (hostile extraterrestrial influence notwithstanding).

1 hour ago, obney kerman said:

Another cool interstellar ship design I'd want to make is probably the Exodus series colony ship from the Destiny video game series:

400px-Destiny_colony_ship_concept.png

Apparently these are designed to SSTO from Earth and get underway on their interplanetary and/or interstellar journies using the fuel in the three spherical tanks on the top, which are later converted into habitation spaces for the colonists once the fuel in them is all used up. Not sure why they wouldn't just be built in space, but it seems to work for them (hostile extraterrestrial influence notwithstanding).

Aero forces would break that in little pieces.

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Aero forces would break that in little pieces.

Oh yeah, that's very true. If I do make a replica of it, I don't expect to ever have it touch atmosphere. Maybe I'll use it on airless moons and dwarf planets for easy ISRU refueling.

In the Destiny universe I don't mind though, considering it's a game where a physics-defying god came to ~2040s-era humanity and gave us all of its technology (and helped terraform Mars, Venus, Titan, Mercury, Io, Europa, and probably a few others I'm forgetting). It's a fun mix of realistic-ish technology and designs, paired with antimatter and warp drives and straight-up high fantasy. (Hence why I don't feel bad about using the constantly-debated metallic hydrogen engines for them, lol.)

Provided I can do it, I'm aiming to try build a Von Neumann probe; one big mothership that can build all the infrastructure and industry in a system before the Kerbals arrive, and then build a copy of itself to repeat the process.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately the lack of robotics at least or now leave my  most beloved  idea of ships out fo question. I always try to minimize the launch volume as much as I can and then unpack  in  orbit. Usually my ships  have more in common with optimus prime than with  anything else.

2 minutes ago, tstein said:

Unfortunately the lack of robotics at least or now leave my  most beloved  idea of ships out fo question. I always try to minimize the launch volume as much as I can and then unpack  in  orbit. Usually my ships  have more in common with optimus prime than with  anything else.

What ship would that be? And don't worry, Infernal Robotics will be ported over, no doubt of that. 

10 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Infernal Robotics will be ported over, no doubt of that. 

Myself and other players DO NOT WANT buggy mods that fulfill base game mechanics. All they do is insert bugs and even if they were welcome in KSP1 because of how indie the game was, KSP2 has a big team and budget and corporate backing. Robotics should be implemented by the devs when they can, at the highest standard of quality.

3 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Myself and other players DO NOT WANT buggy mods that fulfill base game mechanics. All they do is insert bugs and even if they were welcome in KSP1 because of how indie the game was, KSP2 has a big team and budget and corporate backing. Robotics should be implemented by the devs when they can, at the highest standard of quality.

Infernal Robotics is only buggy because of KSP 1's code base, and the mod still managed to be better than the robotics that Squad put in. Most bugs in KSP 1 mods are due to KSP 1 itself, and not the mod. 

Base game mechanics? Robotics won't be added to KSP 2 by Intercept. I believe they said no to robotics. 

Someone will create a robotics mod for KSP 2. Will it be better than something Intercept would do? No one can know. Until Intercept decides to put robotics in, our only chance for robotics right now is mods. And those mods will be of "High quality" because modders have passion. 

In the words of Nertea. "Modders going to mod."

BTW, some mods for KSP 1 set the standard for quality. Like infernal Robotics, which Stock Robotics did not match.

Edited by GoldForest

18 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

What ship would that be? And don't worry, Infernal Robotics will be ported over, no doubt of that. 

On my memory I had a  ship where the top with the docking port and the capsule   was over  gtor hinge with another jr port and it bent outward to connect into a part folded to the other side  so they detached and formed a hover. On the return the reverse was made . I alwasy loved to try to solve this type of scenarios (althoguh I woudl love more compact connectors of some sort as well)