buying ksp2... with crypto.

Nuke

i found a few places that sell steam gift cards for bitcoin and others. has anyone used these with any degree of success? looks like i wont be able to source the funds in real money and i have to use fake internet money. 

7 hours ago, Nuke said:

i found a few places that sell steam gift cards for bitcoin and others. has anyone used these with any degree of success? looks like i wont be able to source the funds in real money and i have to use fake internet money. 

please don't tell me you blew it all on crypto :wacko: :blink:  

22 minutes ago, TheLoneOne said:

please don't tell me you blew it all on crypto :wacko: :blink:  

i mined it on nice hash actually, its just what was left in the wallet after ethereum went proof of stake. unfortunately the best algorithm they host now barely pays for the electricity, even on a current gen gpu. 

anyone with the gumption to write a trade bot could actually exploit the volatility of the markets and make some change, if they were so inclined. i think i want to cash out and forget the whole affair. 

Edited by Nuke

yea, idk why i posted it on ksp2. i mostly just stick to the lounge and science boards. might get better traction here.  so far the only things ive been able to buy with bitcoin are computer parts. as a currency it leaves a lot to be desired, and i dont trust a lot of the stores that take crypto currencies unless its something ive used before (like newegg). newegg doesnt seem to have steam gift cards either. 

anyway there was a dlc pack for a game on egs i was trying to buy as a trial run, but apparently they don't have gift cards. 

• 2 weeks later...

well i mined it on my old gpu, im on a 7900xt now. 

actually these new cards are terrible at mining, considering how much power they draw. efficiency is critical in the mining space. that might have been why gpu manufacturers nerfed their power efficiency and went all out on performance in the first place.  and the best mining algo i could find only does 47 cents a day after power. i think my old card is still the better miner on the grounds that it draws a third of the power. 

i think it could have been a good arrangement, go all out on a $1k+ gpu and mine with it to pay for games and other upgrades. and we could have gotten away with it too if it werent for all the gpu hoarders. 

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.