Belts and rings!

GamingB3ast

Belts and rings! Will we have astroid belts? Maybe at the edge of the kerbol system? (Since we have to go out there soon) And the rings of planets, will the rocks and ice be collidable? With just 19 days left, the hype is real, and I am excited to find out what is in store for us.

It was stated on the Discord server that rings won't be collidable to start with:

https://discord.com/channels/1039959585949237268/1039965578754007060/1070409686265909381

S6GKm2S.png

I believe rings will only be present at Dres to begin with, so hopefully collisions will be working by the interstellar update, when there will be more interesting ringed bodies.

2 hours ago, Ashandalar said:

It was stated on the Discord server that rings won't be collidable to start with:

https://discord.com/channels/1039959585949237268/1039965578754007060/1070409686265909381

S6GKm2S.png

I believe rings will only be present at Dres to begin with, so hopefully collisions will be working by the interstellar update, when there will be more interesting ringed bodies.

I'm OK with that. I'm curious if we'll get radiation belts.

If you aren’t careful you will probably intersect with some of the more extreme rings by accident and collisions might matter. I’m actually pretty excited for that as you need to fit your orbit into specific altitudes and get specific timing, but I just hope it comes early in the roadmap. Maybe the collision on rings and collision with scatter on planets are running on the same not-yet-optimized software. 

7 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Truthfully I don't see the big deal with no collisions on the rings. It's not like your gonna be trying to fly into them anyways and they'll still be there.

Yes I would. Absolutely yes I would. And then goes the whole thing of avoiding them because they're collideable, there's no point in avoiding if there's nothing to hit. A huge chunk of Dres navigation is just missing.

1 minute ago, The Aziz said:

Yes I would. Absolutely yes I would. And then goes the whole thing of avoiding them because they're collideable, there's no point in avoiding if there's nothing to hit. A huge chunk of Dres navigation is just missing.

Not to mention after ring collisions appear some players will understandably be confused to see vessels disappearing from the map view.

18 hours ago, Ashandalar said:

S6GKm2S.png

The fact that  Dress has rings but not the gas giants    relly tickles me badly.

Rigs form exactly because gas giants have more oblongated form due to their rotation combined with most of their mass being not rigidly locked. The oblongated shape is what concentrate everythign in close orbit aroudn a very very thin belt. Small rigid spherical  bodies CANNOT form rings

3 minutes ago, tstein said:

Rigs form exactly because gas giants have more oblongated form due to their rotation combined with most of their mass being not rigidly locked. The oblongated shape is what concentrate everythign in close orbit aroudn a very very thin belt. Small rigid spherical  bodies CANNOT form rings

Anything with a gravitational field that is cylindrically, but not spherically symmetrical has the necessary conditions form rings. While a gas giant is almost guaranteed to have the right conditions, there are a number of ways a rocky body can gain that sort of symmetry as well. Consider Earth's own Moon that has a very "lumpy" gravitational field. A body formed under similar circumstance but with more angular momentum, not becoming tidally locked as quickly, could gain the required symmetry. If we imagine that Dress formed as one of the moons of Jool and was later ejected, it could be the right gravitational "shape" to host rings.

30 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

That is not simetrical... not round.   It is exactly the non sphere shape (i.e non uniform gravity field) that put  ascending and descending acceleration on the dust and when their multi orbits collide   at middle  get neutralzied  at that point. That is the  system that  can  transform a dust cloud into a ring pattern. Something with a large lump in one side is enough.. important part is the lump  being radial tot he rotation axis.

29 minutes ago, K^2 said:

Anything with a gravitational field that is cylindrically, but not spherically symmetrical has the necessary conditions form rings. While a gas giant is almost guaranteed to have the right conditions, there are a number of ways a rocky body can gain that sort of symmetry as well. Consider Earth's own Moon that has a very "lumpy" gravitational field. A body formed under similar circumstance but with more angular momentum, not becoming tidally locked as quickly, could gain the required symmetry. If we imagine that Dress formed as one of the moons of Jool and was later ejected, it could be the right gravitational "shape" to host rings.

True the Luna's  aberrational density (probably result of its formation as result of a collision) give it   enough  of what it needs, but dress all alone in middle of nowhere seems a bit more far fetched.

Edited by tstein

Just now, tstein said:

That is not simetrical... not round.   It is exactly the non sphere shape (i.e non uniform gravity field) that put  ascending and descending acceleration on the dust and when their multi orbits collide   at middle  get neutralzied  at that point. That is the  system that  can  transform a dust cloud into a ring pattern. Something with a large lump in one side is enough.. important part is the lump  being radial tot he rotation axis.

So why can't Dres? Can you hand me the napkin maths you did to prove Dres can't have rings?

Just now, tstein said:
1 minute ago, Bej Kerman said:

So why can't Dres? Can you hand me the napkin maths you did to prove Dres can't have rings?

It is very round.... that is the problem.

Okay, so precisely how much more oblate does Dres need to be to have rings?

Just now, tstein said:

It is very round.... that is the problem. Minimus  would  be more able to do it.

6 minutes ago, tstein said:

but dress all alone in middle of nowhere seems a bit more far fetched.

Dresteroids. 

Dres is not that alone, it's the largest body in a cloud of tiny rocks.

Also, the ridge on the equator suggests that the matter from the ring is slowly falling on the surface. The ring may be an effect of  constantly capturing dust from the surroundings.

Just now, Bej Kerman said:

Okay, so precisely how much more oblate does Dres need to be to have rings?

It is proportional to the mass. The larger the mass the less oblong it needs to be. Small bodies, with small mass would need to be very  oblong , while large  bodies  can be  only slightly (That is why  our gas planets  all have at least a bit of rings).  Small bodies also  would have a hard time keeping all the debris/ dust in clsoe orbit since the collisions during its coalescing would  send some of mterial   away. It is not a matter or precise number.. it just looks and feels wrong  and a feel wrong based on scientific reasoning. 

That sid IF they  add some anomaly  that we can discover to explain it then it would be a good way to save the suspension of disbelief.

Just now, tstein said:

It is proportional to the mass. The larger the mass the less oblong it needs to be. Small bodies, with small mass would need to be very  oblong , while large  bodies  can be  only slightly (That is why  our gas planets  all have at least a bit of rings).  Small bodies also  would have a hard time keeping all the debris/ dust in clsoe orbit since the collisions during its coalescing would  send some of mterial   away. It is not a matter or precise number.. it just looks and feels wrong  and a feel wrong based on scientific reasoning. 

That's interesting, I still wanna see maths.

Just now, tstein said:

That's interesting, I still wanna see maths.

There is no predefined function. It is the type of thing you need to simulate a model and check if the conditions converge.

No way to approximate it? I don't suppose you saying Dres can't have rings is merely a baseless assumption then?

6 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

No way to approximate it? I don't suppose you saying Dres can't have rings is merely a baseless assumption then?

I am saying it does not feel right dress to have a ring (and by that I mean  this  very thin wide rings style of saturn and jupiter.. if the rings end up  being just a toroid shape than it is not far fetched) ) and jol not have anything.

Just now, tstein said:

I am saying it does not feel right dress to have a ring (and by that I mean  this  very thin wide rings style of saturn and jupiter.. if the rings end up  being just a toroid shape than it is not far fetched) ) and jol not have anything.

But is it impossible?

8 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Given they work with planetary scientist...

That did not stop them  having  planets with moons  to close and too slow to be in stable orbit or  unstable systems like kerbin, mun and minimus :P (and yes the system is unstable I did  load the game data as precise as I could find in my N-Body simulation and minimus goes  zip away ...

But is it impossible?

If someone went there and POSITIONED  manually each particle already in that orbit, it could stay in that orbit. So  possible? yes.. but would need a very  weird explanation in the abscence of a god :P