Change sizing abbreviations

As the title says, I was wondering why the sizing for the parts are in the format of “xs, sm, md, lg, xl” instead of just “xs, s, m, l, xl”

I think changing this feature would increase readability of the sizes along with the amazing color coding already in place.

1 hour ago, Zozaf Kerman said:

I think changing this feature would increase readability

Not really. Everyone already knows what the labels mean so there's really no merit to this request. But I would argue that "sm, md, lg" should be changed to "s, m, l" because that's imo the de facto way to write them.

Take this POV: Having all the labels all be 2 letters is a matter of consistency across all of them and avoiding unused space in a given label's box. If there's any problem with the labels it's that they don't appear to provide for the even larger sizes that will appear later on in stock and in mods. XXL, 3XL and beyond are coming, but I'm sure there's an answer to this already.

On 2/21/2023 at 5:11 AM, Zozaf Kerman said:

As the title says, I was wondering why the sizing for the parts are in the format of “xs, sm, md, lg, xl” instead of just “xs, s, m, l, xl”

Because it's easier to search by typing the two letters specific size. You can't do a search for L.

36 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Because it's easier to search by typing the two letters specific size. You can't do a search for L.

Why not?   There’s no limitation against searching for a single letter unless the devs arbitrarily restrict it.    

1 hour ago, Gargamel said:

Why not?   There’s no limitation against searching for a single letter unless the devs arbitrarily restrict it.    

There is if auto-search while typing is implemented. Usually an "L" would list all parts starting with that letter instead of the size.

2 hours ago, Vl3d said:

There is if auto-search while typing is implemented. Usually an "L" would list all parts starting with that letter instead of the size.

Technically, it should list any part containing an L, 

If they arbitrarily implement code to ignore single letter searches (which, granted, is a needed feature on most search boxes), then they can arbitrarily implement code to ignore all single letter searches except for ones that designate a size.   When it encounters a search for a known size, it should immediately list only that size parts in that category.    

No reason they can’t do this, It would be  “fairly trivial” to implement.   

On 2/21/2023 at 12:58 PM, Nazalassa said:

0.625, 1.25, 2.5, 3.75, 5

If done right, searching those would work anyway if the parts had internal tags (I think in KSP1 they did), not necessarily in the description. Which they should because you have all sorts of adapters, and those tend to have at least two sizes, so both MD/2.5 and LG/3.75 searches should bring up the 2.5-3.75 adapter.