What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

I fired up the game to see if my previously working ssto's could break mach 1 again. They do but, either I forgot how to fly them. Or the fuel bug witch is still present is worse. I build marginal stuff, with the bugs they are just on the wrong side of the margin. I think that was my final mission for ksp2. I can not deal with the impersicsion of the Dv calculations. There's not enough parts, the collisions still are unpredictable. I don't know what I was expecting, but playable final product was the hope. Guess I'll have to redo my mod pack for ksp1. The game within the game.

I think this is my last post. At least on this game. It's been a ride. So long and thanks for all the fish.

• 1 month later...

I transferred from Tylo to Vall spending only 0.39m/s dV using RCS.

I'm still doing my For Science! playthrough in KSP2.  It's actually going pretty well, if slowly.  I am encountering annoying bugs periodically, but nothing Kerbin-shattering, and most of which get resolved with a save reload or a game restart.  I'm currently in the middle of my Jool 5 mission.  I've placed a refueling station in very high Tylo orbit, which I return to after each sortie to the individual moons.  I've done Tylo and Laythe landings already. 

Now it's time for Vall.  This is what I'm sending to Vall.  It includes a water probe (port side), a fuel tank counterweight containing fuel for the probe (starboard), and a kerballed rover lander.  Two kerbals in the lab, and two more in the command pods (for 5 total).
RXaKeQs.png

I'll do a full mission report when I complete the entire Jool 5 and recover at Kerbin.

Meanwhile, here's how I transferred from Tylo to Vall using only 0.39m/s of RCS dV:

Spoiler

See under the nav ball that we begin in a 10,154 x 10,230km very high Tylo orbit, near my refueling station.  Using the Maneuver Node Controller mod (a must-have for me to play KSP2) I created a plan to transfer to Vall for 0.39m/s total maneuver dV.
gzhro08.png

Next, I used the K2-D2 mod (also a must-have for me) to timewarp forward until I was 2 minutes from the maneuver plan (node).  You can see the entire plan from this shot, starting with the maneuver node around Tylo and the Tylo escape (in the upper right), followed by the transit to Vall and entry into Vall's SOI (to the left of the dotted line), to the Vall flyby (with Pe of 621,207m).  You can also see that if I do nothing after the flyby, we'll have a Laythe encounter.  Note that 2 minutes before execution, the ship has 2254m/s of dV.  Also note the MP level in the upper right.
1HrNX9O.png

Instead of burning this tiny maneuver with engines, I did it with RCS.  See the planned trajectory (orange), and my final trajectory (blue).  By finishing with the trajectory hitting the center of Vall, I'll be able to get a very inexpensive polar flyby.  Note that we're still at 2254m/s dV, and the MP level is slightly, but noticeably, lower.
XL0jFye.png

Here's the plan to adjust this trajectory for a polar flyby, followed by the result after execution.  dV is now 2235m/s.  19m/s used.
7Xpz2gV.png
U4ab1HR.png

• 2 weeks later...

I completed a combined Eeloo and Dres mission, got tons of science points, and bought out the remaining tech from my tech tree.  I have Mission Control credit for all missions now except for the Eve and Gilly missions.  That will be next, and will finish this For Science! game, but it may be a few months before I get it completed.

This was the 19th launch of my For Science! playthrough, and the 6th mission which involved landing kerbals on one or more celestial bodies.  So the mission name is Global Hop VI.  Full imgur album (a couple hundred screenshots) here:  https://imgur.com/a/l19-giant-hop-vi-eeloo-dres-ybpt9nz

1x7i0uk.png

WnlxcoK.png

XoISvbM.jpeg

aLrj5Me.png

ZNhVv0x.jpeg

gByBVtK.png

On 8/17/2024 at 11:49 AM, Poppa Wheelie said:

Nice one buddy!

Also I love your name. Is it inspired by that American Dad episode where Stan tries to become part of Steve and Rogers Private Eye agency?

On 6/23/2024 at 3:13 PM, NexusHelium said:

I understood that reference ;)

Check out NoFX's album So Long and Thanks for the Shoes

Been playing with pretty much all avaible pat mods and things with KSRe, Life Support and Orbital Survey, Commnet, pretty much all cool mods 5~ hours in total right now, got my first two satellites up finally and aswell a plane to get more research, i show failures mostly but still most of the time i been playing and aswell tech tree.. Enjoy that its fast to load and stuff just able to get on and start thinking. i don't use AA due to just making it a smear.

(50% research speed and stuff)

tfG9N4A.png

BqJhdHg.png

p8i3jzu.png

oXdGWoZ.jpeg

yIv1vfv.png

Still far far away from actually being able to go to space with kerbals..

21 hours ago, Meecrob said:

Also I love your name. Is it inspired by

Thanks! No, it wasn't inspired by any television show or other popular culture. When i first started playing KSP1, I realized that I liked to explore with wheeled, kerbaled, vehicles; and that the easiest way to get these horizontally-oriented vehicles back into space was to "pop a wheelie" before lighting the rocket engine.

On 9/10/2024 at 11:52 AM, Poppa Wheelie said:

horizontally-oriented vehicles back into space was to "pop a wheelie" before lighting the rocket engine.

Love it!:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

Today I launched a 6426t rocket-style SSTO called "Go Big" for the final, boss-level Eve and Gilly mission of my For Science! playthrough.

• This is the heaviest launch I've ever done, at 6426t.  It's also, therefore, the heaviest SSTO I've ever done.
  • This is the heaviest single-launch payload I've done, at 787t

Some more stats:

• Boosters:  4730t of methalox and 20 x Mammoth II engines
  • Launch Profile:
    • 90 degree elevation until 1km
    • 45 degrees by 16km
    • 5 degrees by 66km
    • Ap altitude of 120km
  • dV:
    • 4547 m/s according to the game staging stack, and according to the Micro Engineer mod
    • 4052 m/s according to the rocket formula in my spreadsheet (which I think, in this case, is more accurate)

Video:

• 4m 9s
  • Entire video is playing at 5x speed
  • My actual fps during the entire launch:  between 6 and 9
    • Special thanks to @cfloutier for K2-D2, and to @schlosrat for Maneuver Node Controller!  Without these 2 mods I would have had a bear of a time doing this launch manually at 6 to 9 fps

Enjoy!