What did you do in KSP2 today?

Dman979

On 2/4/2024 at 7:52 AM, NexusHelium said:

I have one theory that could potentially fix it but I haven’t had time to test it yet.

On 2/4/2024 at 7:57 AM, Bej Kerman said:

I'd be happy to see an elaboration on this.

As would I.  I am curious as to where it is theorized to be in the code, and why the devs haven't been able to stop it.

1 hour ago, hatterson said:

I sent two separate rescue missions.

My primary mission didn't have enough TWR to safely land so it stayed in orbit.

My first rescue mission used far more fuel than I was expecting to land so stranded him on the surface.

My second rescue mission actually got him back to orbit and then I hand plenty of fuel between the three return crafts that I had now in Tylo orbit to easily get home.

I'm working on this mission now.  Using f8 cheat menu to teleport me to Tylo so I can test lander design.  It's a PITA for sure but fun as well.

I can already tell this is a two craft mission.  One to push the lander there and then another craft to rendezvous and pick them up to return them to Kerbin.

1 hour ago, Biggen said:

I'm working on this mission now.  Using f8 cheat menu to teleport me to Tylo so I can test lander design.  It's a PITA for sure but fun as well.

I can already tell this is a two craft mission.  One to push the lander there and then another craft to rendezvous and pick them up to return them to Kerbin.

Yea that was my original plan. Send one craft with the dV required to get to Jool/Tylo, land on Tylo with some precision, and return to LTO. Then another craft with the dV to get to Jool/Tyle, some extra dV to maneuver around LTO and rendezvous, and then the dV to return to Kerbin.

2 hours ago, Oak7603 said:

Yeah 430+ m/s into the Tylo surface will do it. It took me forever to do that mission.

Well first time I went to Moho, I was 6 km/s short of entering orbit. 
But Tylo is scary, Eve is just hard to build, Tylo is hard to fly. 

7 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

As would I.  I am curious as to where it is theorized to be in the code, and why the devs haven't been able to stop it.

My theory for a workaround essentially plays on the docking port bug where they won’t connect because of an incorrect “docked” state in the .json files. If I could find any evidence of a fault in the files then I could be able to create a work around. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to reproduce the bug :( (It’s so odd how some people like you get it every time. Now I feel kind of annoyed that I don’t have that bug.) and I have no experience in video game development or bug hunting so it’s been a bit of a long haul for me. If you had any suggestions on how to make it faster or if this potential work around has already been looked at (though that would suck for me) then I’m open to anything that could improve my lackluster bug hunting skills.

And about what you said about wondering why they couldn’t find it. Chances are they have, they’ve just been trying to figure out what’s causing it and get a fix in the code up and running (hence the partial fix in the kerb)

On 2/4/2024 at 11:59 AM, magnemoe said:

Wiki has location in decimals for the location while micro engineer uses minutes and seconds. 

This was true in the earliest releases of Micro Engineer. But it has since added decimal items as well. So now Micro Engineer has four items for coordinates that you can choose from and configure.

• Latitude
  • Latitude (dec)
  • Longitude
  • Longitude (dec)

6 hours ago, JavaSaBr said:

My second attempt was better :D

Wait, you don't have to use an kerbal? Thinking of it yes its pretty obvious :) Will still need an rover but this make it much easier, no need for an accent stage and this can be build to handle pretty rough landings, just the rover need to survive. 

5 hours ago, rogerawong said:

This was true in the earliest releases of Micro Engineer. But it has since added decimal items as well. So now Micro Engineer has four items for coordinates that you can choose from and configure.

• Latitude
  • Latitude (dec)
  • Longitude
  • Longitude (dec)

Thank will update it

For myself, early probe mission to Eve and Gilly was an success and just realized I could go down to 89 km attitude to get atmospheric measurements of biomes no reason to drop probes into water. 

Edited by magnemoe

3 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Wait, you don't have to use an kerbal? Thinking of it yes its pretty obvious :) Will still need an rover but this make it much easier, no need for an accent stage and this can be build to handle pretty rough landings, just the rover need to survive. 

I don't have enough good details in stock ksp2 to deploy rovers.... so I avoid using it at all.

Edited by JavaSaBr

Hi all :)

I finally found the "secret" of Laythe............ Don't know if someone already talked about that, or if you want to find yourself, so the "secret" is hidden :)

(There is a way to avoid being stuck with the wheels, rovers or planes, on laythe and this is not  a bug)

Spoiler

Just wait the end of the night for the planet being so cold that the soil becomes hard enough !

Fly safe :)

Edited by astrobond

Well, first we say goodbye to my first interplanetary probe. 
eNPaeFI.png
It could only end one way. 
Contract to send something interplanetary, well I found I could do an Eve intercept but no good antennas.  Then unlocking nuclear engines I build an probe carrier and send it to Eve as window was closing. It arrived before this probe and probably could linked up with it but pointless as in Eve orbit, cleared Gilly 
Yps3UmX.png

And yes the probe is comical small and also ridiculous overbuild, as in I could return to Kerbin with but 2K science 
But no time for that as Jool window is closing and Duna one is optimal.  So have to design stuff to throw.
https://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/#/Kerbin/100/Jool/100/false/ballistic/false/1/200
Says 6 Km/s but that is low Jool orbit not playing with Tylo, still getting back is nice but will throw so much I don't have time to play :) 

Meet my latest invention.

tF5xT4v.jpg

I have christened thee, the SS Longshot.

As yet, I don't have the science points to make a proper spaceplane, but I managed proof of concept with this thing the other day. It's a working atmospheric lander, albeit one-way at the moment.

As a matter of preparation, I've added large, solid docking rings to all my large boosters. It's a policy I followed in KSP1, to save resources on interplanetary craft. I refuel all these boosters back to full, and have the 'resources manager' keep the center one as the priority. I can detatch the other two as needed, and effectively have the Delta-V to go almost anywhere. (Though, I admit, I've never used a jet as a Lander before.)

With a good comm satellite already around Jool, I should be able to take measurements, send back Science Points, and hopefully unlock the 'Creature Feature' mission on Laythe.

It's waaaaay too late at night now, so I'll update you tomorrow on whether or not this works.

So, I have one or two missions in flight right now, which I'm able to keep track of thanks to AlarmClock mod...

• I have a couple refuelers and three SSTO planes I'm sending on their way to Laythe
  • I have a Mun/Minmus hydro lander returning with 2 Kerbals in their 1 Pod.
  • I have 4 beefier hydro landers atop refuelers otw to Jool to visit the other moons to collect all possible science
  • My original Eelo lander and its refueler is still in flight. As you can tell, it's a much earlier design
  • I have 10 Kerbals returning to Kerbal after visiting Eve! Look how happy they are! Probably because I renamed their vessel from 'Widowmaker" to "Eve GT" after successfully landing and then launching from Eve.

tlmeT6S.png

Just finished the "plant flag on Pol" mission.  Man, what a buggy mess it is trying to get to Pol.  First off, I'd say it's impossible to do this mission without the maneuver node mod.   I'm just wondering if the designers actually play the game with the stock maneuver node tool.  It's just terrible. I was able to use a gravity assist from Tylo to get a Jool capture.  However, the game doesn't show future orbits very well in the Jool system.   After the Tylo encounter, I was in a Jool orbit but then about halfway through the orbit a Laythe encounter came out of nowhere.  This encounter was not shown at all until Laythe was very close to my craft.  So WTH is up with that?! Then I finally transferred to Pol and landed.  I time warped a bit on Pol and my craft fell through the surface!  Had to re-load a quick save and then not use time warp.

I think I'm going to have to shelve KSP2 for a bit.  Game is pretty to look at, but the bugs are still pretty bad.

On 2/6/2024 at 1:23 PM, JavaSaBr said:

I don't have enough good details in stock ksp2 to deploy rovers.... so I avoid using it at all.

Do not understand I say rovers in KSP 2 works better than in KSP1. 

3 hours ago, Biggen said:

Just finished the "plant flag on Pol" mission.  Man, what a buggy mess it is trying to get to Pol.  First off, I'd say it's impossible to do this mission without the maneuver node mod.   I'm just wondering if the designers actually play the game with the stock maneuver node tool.  It's just terrible. I was able to use a gravity assist from Tylo to get a Jool capture.  However, the game doesn't show future orbits very well in the Jool system.   After the Tylo encounter, I was in a Jool orbit but then about halfway through the orbit a Laythe encounter came out of nowhere.  This encounter was not shown at all until Laythe was very close to my craft.  So WTH is up with that?! Then I finally transferred to Pol and landed.  I time warped a bit on Pol and my craft fell through the surface!  Had to re-load a quick save and then not use time warp.

I think I'm going to have to shelve KSP2 for a bit.  Game is pretty to look at, but the bugs are still pretty bad.

Agree the maneuver node mod is essential. And as its not part of an autopilot suite I see no reason not to use it but I also want to do burns inside other SOI or at least know the cost of circulating at current Pe
Moho mission failed as I only had and correcting node who was on next orbit. Always have multiple brakes in alarm clock for important stuff. 
Duna mission will first farm Ike for science before trying the primary mission. It was wise to launch the rescue and followup mission before it reached Duna :) 
Jool mission has an dedicated tanker. 

15 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

Jool mission has an dedicated tanker. 

Yup.  I initially was going for the "Find the monument on Tylo" mission but realized real quick I lacked the proper rockets (need more science) to get a kerbal there and back in one trip.  This is definitely going to be a two craft mission when I finally get around to doing it. 

7 minutes ago, Biggen said:

Yup.  I initially was going for the "Find the monument on Tylo" mission but realized real quick I lacked the proper rockets (need more science) to get a kerbal there and back in one trip.  This is definitely going to be a two craft mission when I finally get around to doing it. 

It was really hard to build a lander that used chemical rockets to get the 4,500 dV - 5,000 dV needed to execute a landing and take off on Tylo. It ended up being a very heavy, single use vessel.

Going back to Tylo, I'm doing this instead:

Spoiler

Use a swerv as the lander engine to create an SSTO lander with 6k dV

Edited by rogerawong

4 minutes ago, rogerawong said:

It was really hard to build a lander that used chemical rockets to get the 4,500 dV - 5,000 dV needed to execute a landing and take off on Tylo. It ended up being a very heavy, single use vessel.

Going back to Tylo, I'm doing this instead:

Reveal hidden contents

Use a swerv as the lander engine to create an SSTO lander with 6k dV

That's an excellent idea.  I just unlocked that node in R&D so I will play around with it.

I guess I won't shelve KSP2 just yet.

At the request of Dakota (for the parachutes issue), I started a new campaign.  Again.  Proceeded to unlock the entirety of Tier I in 2 launches.  Discovered you can complete the Going Green mission without actually having a Science Junior on-board.

Tomorrow I'll see about completing the second tier, which should include another Mun landing and a Minmus landing (the monuments), as well as sending a probe out of Kerbin's SOI.  I think I can do both the Mun monument and the escape trajectory in the same launch.  We shall see.

4 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

At the request of Dakota (for the parachutes issue), I started a new campaign.  Again.  Proceeded to unlock the entirety of Tier I in 2 launches.  Discovered you can complete the Going Green mission without actually having a Science Junior on-board.

Tomorrow I'll see about completing the second tier, which should include another Mun landing and a Minmus landing (the monuments), as well as sending a probe out of Kerbin's SOI.  I think I can do both the Mun monument and the escape trajectory in the same launch.  We shall see.

Just dropping an probe with antenna and power before doing the Mun injection burn and it will leave Kerbin SOI
I used an dedicated launch and went for an Eve flyby but just had an basic antenna. 
It might be an idea to do at least an probe mission to Eve early, mostly Gilly but if you have atmospheric science you get 600 science for every biome you can overfly at 89 km attitude. 

Well. I am officially a brand new, totally undiscovered, level of stupid.

If you're following my journey to the stars, you'll know that I worked up a low-tech spaceplane that could deorbit, and sent it to Laythe.

There was some errors in the transfer windows, and I lost a lotta fuel trying to aim the thing straight. Enough that I couldn't get into Laythe orbit.

What I could do was adjust my trajectory to put the Longshot into a 'crashing' orbit through the upper atmosphere, then I picked my moment, cut the Jet loose, and dove into the atmo at roughly 4000 m/s.

FfsjCXa.jpeg

I managed to pull out in time, (annoyingly, still on the night side of the Moon), but I raced the dawn to my point of interest, and got some sweet pics. I'm thinking of making this next one my wallpaper.

Xbc5WbI.jpeg

After literal hours of jet flight, I make it to my target. When I get in range, I shout "YES!" because I'd eyeballed the directions right, and was flying in exactly the right heading.

KahA3D8.jpeg

It takes me three tries, but I swing it around and make the best landing I've ever achieved...

And I can't get out of the plane. See, when I first built this thing, it was for the Kapy Rock mission. I had to land in a specific spot, without any kind of landing area, particularly for someone who was lousy with planes. So I added more drogue chutes to the plane, specifically so I could stop on a dime, and float down to a specific spot. One of those chutes is apparently mounted halfway over the cabin door of this plane. So I can't EVA. The 'Hatch is obstructed.'

Totally undiscovered, completely unclassified level of stupid. Just put it on my business cards. Carve it on my tombstone.

Alright. I gotta think about this. This was hours of work, and no few glitches that forced me to restart the whole program when I tried to quick-load. Frustration makes me wanna stay, but I'm not sure what to do...

Edited by stephensmat

25 minutes ago, stephensmat said:

Well. I am officially a brand new, totally undiscovered, level of stupid.

If you're following my journey to the stars, you'll know that I worked up a low-tech spaceplane that could deorbit, and sent it to Laythe.

There was some errors in the transfer windows, and I lost a lotta fuel trying to aim the thing straight. Enough that I couldn't get into Laythe orbit.

What I could do was adjust my trajectory to put the Longshot into a 'crashing' orbit through the upper atmosphere, then I picked my moment, cut the Jet loose, and dove into the atmo at roughly 4000 m/s.

FfsjCXa.jpeg

I managed to pull out in time, (annoyingly, still on the night side of the Moon), but I raced the dawn to my point of interest, and got some sweet pics. I'm thinking of making this next one my wallpaper.

Xbc5WbI.jpeg

After literal hours of jet flight, I make it to my target. When I get in range, I shout "YES!" because I'd eyeballed the directions right, and was flying in exactly the right heading.

KahA3D8.jpeg

It takes me three tries, but I swing it around and make the best landing I've ever achieved...

And I can't get out of the plane. See, when I first built this thing, it was for the Kapy Rock mission. I had to land in a specific spot, without any kind of landing area, particularly for someone who was lousy with planes. So I added more drogue chutes to the plane, specifically so I could stop on a dime, and float down to a specific spot. One of those chutes is apparently mounted halfway over the cabin door of this plane. So I can't EVA. The 'Hatch is obstructed.'

Totally undiscovered, completely unclassified level of stupid. Just put it on my business cards. Carve it on my tombstone.

Alright. I gotta think about this. This was hours of work, and no few glitches that forced me to restart the whole program when I tried to quick-load. Frustration makes me wanna stay, but I'm not sure what to do...

Know the feeling, did you remember an ladder? so you could back inn :) 
I forgot on my Duna follow-up mission but I assume the jetpacks still work on Duna? 

I made it to Duna and landed on Ike, will do an second landing for more science before going to Duna for the main mission with the monument.  The tiny Ike lander just used an probe core for control and its way to sluggish for precision so settle for the biomes now. 

10 hours ago, stephensmat said:

Frustration makes me wanna stay, but I'm not sure what to do...

So, this has happened to me on occasion, where a ladder or hatch deploys just fine during testing, but then after a long travel to my destination, it suddenly is obstructed.

The game is in beta and I guess sometimes the parts get put back together just slightly off when loading maybe. Enough to cause stuff like this to happen.

This is why there is a "cheat" menu. It's not for cheating, it's for recovering from bugs like this.

• Hypnotize your Kerbals.
  • Open the cheat menu
  • Teleport the craft and Kerbals back to KSC to recover them
  • Teleport a fixed version of the craft (w/ reduced fuel) and Kerbals back to Laythe.
  • De-hypnotize your Kerbals.

They'll never know the difference. 

Edited by rogerawong