Procedural wings are great, we still need some regular standalone lifting and control surfaces

In KSP1 I built a lot of planes. Usually crazy ones, so I have spent hours upon hours playing with lifting sufaces and getting them to do what I want them to do. 

The new procedural wings are very, very good (and the interface to tweak them is excellent), but they are also limiting in their own way.    I like to see the lifting segments brought back as well as some stand-alone control surfaces to augment the procedural wings.  Also would like to see the ability to have fuel in the wings again.

1. We need a way to have multiple control surfaces on the same wing.  This allows me to action group them to tune the aircraft into different flight modes (such as maneuverabilty vs stable cruise mode) as well as just have more and better options. This is especially needed for flying wings:

Iv5xI8v.png

2. Some stand alone control surfaces like in KSP 1 would be great, especially as they attach along the long edge, giving options for rudders, etc. This craft would be impossible in KSP2

oGvTvu1.png

Another one using lifting surfaces to double as rudders and stabilizers as well as strucutral parts:

zvC1mxG.png

3. Those lifiting surfaces were also key for hydrofoil building (currently in the water, that is impossible, but I am hopeful that is on the books).

nXawAPV.png

Edited by Klapaucius

The ability to have an array of different control surfaces along the back of a wing is missing.  The control surfaces we have don't rotate correctly for that. 

Also, after a few goes with the procedural wings I kinda miss having a catalog of standard pieces to snap together.  Having a way to save favourite wing configs might fill this void.  But if we could have the old catalog of wings and flaps alongside the procedural ones I think that would be ideal

3 minutes ago, Hecatonichosachoron said:

But if we could have the old catalog of wings and flaps alongside the procedural ones I think that would be ideal

I agree completely. I want to keep the procedural wings; they are great, but I would love to have the old parts back as well.

End-mounting the new procedural wings on the previous wing lets you split the trailing edge into multiple control surfaces for things like inboard elevators and outboard ailerons.

An option to "inherit root section from parent tip section" would make this a lot easier to adjust dynamically, however.

I fully agree. Procedural wings can be a very useful thing, but for some designs the good old KSP 1 stock wings would be still better. I want to be able to give my aircrafts wings that have rounded corners like those big space-shuttle-inspired delta wings in KSP 1.

And wing panels were always nice to make some good-looking designs. I don't see a way to form the current procedural wings into such a wing panel.

23 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

1. We need a way to have multiple control surfaces on the same wing.  This allows me to action group them to tune the aircraft into different flight modes (such as maneuverabilty vs stable cruise mode) as well as just have more and better options. This is especially needed for flying wings:

Slap one wing onto the end of another. Build them as multiple wing panels.

23 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

2. Some stand alone control surfaces like in KSP 1 would be great, especially as they attach along the long edge, giving options for rudders, etc. This craft would be impossible in KSP2

We have those, one of the wing types are fully movable. You can simply resize it, change the control authority, and then copy the part.

I feel like this is a situation where people need to get creative, which is the same thing people used to tell me RE: the wing panels.

> We have those, one of the wing types are fully movable. You can simply resize it, change the control authority, and then copy the part.

And have a quick-select menu of preconfigured sizes in a rightclick or even better shift+rightclick menu.

On 2/26/2023 at 7:29 PM, Klapaucius said:

Like so?

?imw=2048&imh=1152&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.