Small wheels (M1) on light craft will bounce up and down rapidly

rigel222

hard to show in a picture but when driving, and especially on turns the small, apollo buggy style mesh wheels will jump up and down and it really breaks immersion. so the devs know, it doesnt affect traction or where the hitbox of the wheels actually are. also, cars flip too easily. I know that the wheels clipping into the floor will be fixed, but you guys need to make it so when you turn in a rover, it rolls in the same direction, to avoid a rollover, or just make the parts heavier.

Edited by Anth12

how did you set your spring strength and dampeners?

often the wheel jumping issue is a problem with too high spring strength.
often i turn up the dampening to help absorb more of the bounces.

if your rover turns over easily then try a wider base and lower the center of mass.
also the speed of your rover will often affect your handling. 

if you adjust the steering so that only the front wheels turn (or the back) it limits the total amount of steering.
the steering angle limiter and the steering response are good parameters to tweak as well.   

Just now, sir_frost said:

how did you set your spring strength and dampeners?

often the wheel jumping issue is a problem with too high spring strength.
often i turn up the dampening to help absorb more of the bounces.

if your rover turns over easily then try a wider base and lower the center of mass.
also the speed of your rover will often affect your handling. 

if you adjust the steering so that only the front wheels turn (or the back) it limits the total amount of steering.
the steering angle limiter and the steering response are good parameters to tweak as well.   

The following is KSP1 relevant, but may apply to KSP2.  On low grav bodies I dial spring strength down to 10% or less, and never go above 30% anywhere.  Dampening gets maxed typically, maybe a 90% in low grav.  Not rigorously tuned but seems to work out.  Avoid high physics warp levels on anything but very smooth terrain

in my own testing the vibrations could be because of an imbalance in your craft, making the wheels face the ground at a non 90 degree angle.
this cause a lot of difficulty for me, i even built a frankendrive thing that use angled wheels to accelerate.   

• 1 month later...

This is a bit different than what I usually do. Since we got a nice "In-Depth" Development Post, I figured the least I could do was provide an "In-Depth Bug Report", Complete with video and references to build materials, specs, and build process.

Thanks Darrin for the awesome in depth look at QA

Here's a Video just for you and your team (and anyone else...)

Title: Wheel Bounce/ Involuntary Redirect on Runway

Specs: 

Specs-all.png

Severity: High

Frequency: High

Description:  Cannot get craft to end of runway without critical failure between wheels and ground. Wheels Bounce like water on a hot pan.

It seems totally overdone, maybe a bit inefficient, but that's what makes it totally kerbal.

Who's got a request for Report #2?

0.02c

Spoiler

It is absolutely a choice to complain without contributing. If you want it done faster, do something constructive, and start with the developer's request- They know exactly what they are asking for- No, they don't think it's easy- Yes, they do hope and maybe expect the community to do it because they love the game...

I'm fine with that. I do love the game. I really enjoy being on the Hype train, but I do think I'll spend more time in Bug Reporting. It's not that difficult to copy and paste some stats, then write some descriptive words down. Having said that... Devs...

Just as there are impossible numbers of permutations to go through, there are impossible numbers of bugs in any given playthrough lately for any player to feel as if they are making an impact with bug reports. I concur with others that it would be helpful to have a database of bugs to avoid overreporting an issue. I also understand wanting to have the volume of unique users having the same issue, but that's getting a little beside the point.

The video I've posted highlights most of the requests for Bug Reports, yeah? There's no way you can convince me to write that all out in prose. And I'm verbose. That's work. Those members that do that deserve T-Shirts and comfy sweaters for winter. I offer the compromise of the Video Report: Unfortunately you don't get to look at my text at a glance this way, but you can take a pause at my spec frames if your game is strong.

SPEAKING OF MINIGAMES: I would love communication on whether or not keyboard entry in the VAB is a priority.

That grinds my gears.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:17 PM, Little 908 said:

maybe it would be more direct if you didn't add so many memes? xd

Absolutely. This could have been way shorter than it is- cut the intro-outro/ Cut the memes/ Cut transitions, etc. 

I guess my main purpose here was to have fun with a report. Some people hate making reports, so I offered the perspective that some people enjoy the process.

What's been suggested is a bug report video using the reporting mod. I might be up for that demonstration video- I'm checking out mics this week.

In the future I'll definitely have brevity and focus in mind for this kind of project. It wasn't received well, lol.

• 3 months later...