Around the World in a OneOscar

Watermel00n

Around the World in a OneOscar:

Hey everyone. I've recently created some tiny planes in @Socraticat's OneOscar fan club and I wondered how far I could go with one. Could I circumnavigate Kerbin using only OneOscars?

Fan Club links:

Q&A

Spoiler

What is a OneOscar?

oESzxLX.png

Above: OneOscar FG "Mony" Built by @Watermel00n

A OneOscar is a type of small jet-powered plane, created by members of the OneOscar Fan Club. They are usually biplanes and are mainly used for aerobatics and stunts.

Such a small plane couldn't circumnavigate kerbin right?

You're correct! A OneOscar can only go so far. That is why I'm using Kerbin Side Remastered to allow for refueling. It's not a real circumnavigation, I suppose. Still, I can add some extra fuel tanks to improve the range.

Modlist:

Spoiler

MepTJrY.png

So without further ado...

THE PLANES:

t4Ezhuk.png

Left: OneOscar FGC2x "Phoenix"         Right: OneOscar FGCXL "Silver"

The "Phoenix" will be used for shorter range flights as it is easier to land while the "Silver" will be used for longer haul flights as it's pretty dangerous to fly but has a much longer range.

Anyways, it's flying time!

Leg 1&2: KSC->Jeb's Junkyard->Cape Kerman

Jeb Kerman is officially out of a job. He probably shouldn't have buzzed the control tower with the KSP's latest, most expensive MK3 cargo SSTO or attempted to land it on the VAB roof. Quite obviously, after they cleaned up the remains of the SSTO and put out the fire of whatever remained of the VAB, he was fired there, on the spot. Now he was in a little bit of a pickle. How could he ever get his job back? Turns out, he happened to be part of the first members of OneOscar Fan Club, and for some reason, Gene let him keep the OneOscars he had. And if could do something crazy, something wacky, something no pilot had done before... he might be able to convince Gene to let him back on the program. While the engineers and technicians took their coffee break, Jeb smuggled his OneOscar FGC2x out of the KSC hangar to the runway and started up the engine.

UhN5x7O.png

tpDnkOI.png

Before anyone noticed, Jeb had lifted off the KSC runway and set a course for Jeb's Junkyard. After he reached the Junkyard, he might be able to gather funding for his trip.

He was going to circumnavigate Kerbin in a OneOscar.

And hopefully, get his job back.

ZVTDCy7.png

After about 10 minutes of flying, Jeb arrived at the Junkyard. Unsurprisingly, Jeb couldn't have possibly owned the Junkyard AND be an astronaut at the same time, so it happened that his friend, whose name also happened to be Jeb, owned the Junkyard.

3IqV7cK.png

This time, Jeb may have done a little oopsie on the landing.

rno8l7H.png

Luckily for him, the workers there happened to have a OneOscar ready to be scrapped, so they simply replaced the rusty parts on it with newer ones from Jeb's plane. Jeb was also able to persuade the other Jeb to lend him 50000 funds, in exchange for him to attach the company's logo to Jeb's suit.

The next stop would be Cape Kerman, where Jeb could refuel his plane.

PCIXmew.png

Crusing over the grasslands.

Jeb: It sure is cold up here.

zGLX79T.png

Jeb comes in from a landing at Cape Kerman. Unfortunately, it happens that Kerbals need to book a landing slot before landing. It turns out that Jeb simply forgot.

352bTTG.png

After landing at Cape Kerman, a furious ground krew member runs up to him carrying a jerry kan.

Ground Krew: Hey! ATC was trying to contact you! You can't just land without permission.

Jeb: *grabs the jerry kan, throwing 500 funds to ground krew* I paid my fine. And for the fuel.*proceeds to turn on engine and fly off*

Ground Krew: Hey! Get back here! Do you want a receipt or not?

AxbgD3R.png

Jeb actually doesn't want a receipt.

Leg 3: Cape Kerman->Meeda Naval Base

pHXsfZ1.png

User:Jebadiah Kerman

Speed:200 m/s

Operating:OneOscar FGC2x.

JrMbxIX.png

3bcqVmk.png

Speed:190 m/s

hb6Tpu0.png

Speed:150 m/s

Navigation:Meeda Naval Base Runway

CqUpTzF.png

Speed:0 m/s

Operating:N/A

A printed sheet with these attached documents and pictures was placed on a small wooden table. "We found the transponder. now we just need to know where it's going." A small television screen mounted on the wall flickered on, blasting out the news. "Jeb wants to circumnavigate Kerbin? Well, that's interesting." "Interesting? Bob, no kerbal has done that and lived to tell the tale!" "Bill, I know you were good pals with Jeb for a long time, but whatever he's up to now is honestly none of our business. Anyways, we should be asleep by now."

Edited by Watermel00n

Leg 4:Meeda->Uberdam

NhjZQUE.png

Jeb lifts off from Meeda Naval base after the engineers fix up his plane.

y5irvPe.png

Km1ggSW.png

An interesting thing that Jeb noticed was that his body was creating a kerb-ton of drag. In order to reduce drag, he could fly higher where the air is thinner. However, the Juno would begin to lose thrust at higher altitude. Jeb concluded that the best altitude to fly at was about 11 km up.

92CD3lK.png

Kerbin's largest river, the Kile comes into view. The fuel reserves are looking a little low.

UFOMUcO.pngPassing over the Kile.

WhaICkf.png

Almost there...

y9Bke0E.png

Somehow, Jeb is able to glide the "Phoenix" to the airport.

DadIlAA.png

That is an Uber Dam.

PlYF6L9.png

Landed with only a few drops of fuel in the tank!

• 2 weeks later...

Leg 5: Uberdam -> KSC2

SmpPCSm.png

Jeb flies away from Uberdam. He's got a full tank of fuel thanks to the helpful engineers who helped to refuel his aircraft in a few minutes.

1uvbt02.png

Those are some mighty tall mountains... Since the KSC2 is located in the mountain regions, it could be hard to get a good approach to the runway.

OsKR3Xc.png

Seems like the mountains are a sort of a plateau. Jeb wonders if he could land on them.

sx6jw4g.png

Made it over the mountains, approaching KSC2.

1EFthcv.png

bExIcXT.png

yN1RXqu.png

Landed!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 10:50 AM, FormosaT_9 said:

next is Kojave right? and it be "fun" for cross oceans.
Bon voyage!

Right on!

Leg 6: KSC2 -> Kojave

fAsczep.png

Bye KSC2!

08pYAMj.png

Crusing over the hills...

TSoAGco.png

pretty aesthetic huh?

DYFpTnE.png

There it is! Kojave Sands is like the cooler Desert Launch Site.

ftiFnUo.png

ICROYU4.png

Jeb nails the landing once again!

Leg 7 Kojave Sands -> Desert Airfield

dSaJka5.png

Jeb will get the great opportunity to watch a second sunset!

xdsWbam.png

Desert Runway comes into view as the sun sets...

KxqLoSo.png

Landed again! Sadly, this is the last time the "Phoenix" will used as its range is simply not enough to reach the next airfield.\

Leg 8 Desert Airfield -> South Field

gATQUWI.png

After shoving the "Phoenix" into a hangar, the Desert Airfield engineers bring out a OneOscar FGCXL "Silver" extra-long range variant. It's fast, unstable, and dangerous to fly, but it has an unbeatable range.

84Pfr6a.png

Takeoff was a little dicey as the "Silver" nearly tips over on rotate. The OneOscar approaches the coast of the southern sea.

F55PDT6.png

Jeb is feeling really chilly and he's happy he brought a space suit now.

SnihCmE.png

Jeb's just passed the peninsula and now the true test of the OneOscar begins.

YJKSvFK.png

Land ho! South field is in view. It looks strikingly similar to the Island Airfield.

nhmd8br.png

Coming in for a "landing"

qqdGDHy.png

Faceplant!

Leg 9: South Field -> Kermundsen Base

dNdDRpt.png

Luckily for Jeb, the engineers get the OneOscar fixed up by morning just in time to see the sunrise.

r7zFwtv.png

Jeb heads south. He needs to pass over the south pole to refuel at the South Pole Base to keep moving.

dKKUrdG.png

CTDULII.png

Munrise...

p6NUi3A.png

Finally, Jeb can see the the base come into view.

Jeb: I need some hot kokoa now...

Pzfrz37.png

In true BadS style, Jeb buzzes the snowplowers at the edge of the runway...

UGRzWhI.png

...before immediately tumbling over and snapping off 2 of the OneOscar's wings. So much for BadS...

"Fast, unstable, and dangerous to fly" that's fine~ a walkable landing is good landing.
800km. good work with Silver !

before u leave, there should be a snowman (Kside easter) around.
see you next time/

zaOky0J.jpeg

(my KSC-south pole-KSC rover run, summer 2023
if you are interesting HERE)

• 2 weeks later...

Leg 10: Kermundsen -> Harvester

9ixTYNg.png

Jeb's plane gets fixed up in a jiffy.

7oovCqD.png0S4h1zQ.png

Off to Harvester Airfield!

PFFJFNH.png

These weirdly shaped mountains are a result of "polar pinching", where a planet's texture is distorted significantly at the poles.

RvgiiBJ.png

Back on grasslands now...

wF5p4oi.png

Over here it's almost always sunset, so nothing special.

qFlqFaO.png

The airfield is on the top of that plauteau...

mHw7csL.pngFKNqLiP.png

Just before landing, Jeb experiments with activating his suit parachute. But this only causes the plane to spin out, so he has to cut it.

oM9brJo.png

YBLP6GR.png

Ho-hum.

Leg 11: Harvester -> Kerman Atoll

kALfTbw.png

Now this time, the engineers try putting the OneOscar in a tricycle configuration. Hopefully this will stop it blowing up.

uoz1uGq.png

What interesting buildings this airport has. A observatory, many hangars, and a spaceplane hangar-thing??? How intriguing.

BqwLszW.png

Leaving the mountains behind me...

2fw7qeT.png

i thought i only had one visual mod why this look so aesthetic or something?

BFMuxax.png

Approaching the Kerman Atoll.

oWEP1BR.png

And yes it's a big kerbal face.

p3IjdE0.png

This sunset has been going on a long time thanks to our speed eastwards.

L9FwHKU.png

nZ1pkO7.png

Jeb don't mess this up-

EeTin6v.png

*vine boom*

Leg 12: Kerman Atoll to KSC (i hope)

Y8lZSmF.png

Well that was quick.

gALKall.png

Bye, suspiciously large airport on a tiny island!

W5fDcWJ.png

This kerbal face is so menacing up close...

0xHbYIs.png]

THE MUN!!!!!!!!!!!!! and besides that I'm flying blind.

Hfdy4eF.png

Jeb:Wait is that the Kola Airport

kQupNtc.png

Jeb: That really is the Airport. And that's the KSC!

TuHZBt2.png

Jeb: Better not botch this up when everyone's watching.

qm19HO1.png

kfksCtR.png

jdIYh1a.png

Jeb: Nailed it!

Shortly after Jeb lands at KSC, he is quickly brought into the Admin building to talk to Gene.

Jeb: Hey Gene, can I have my job back now?

Gene: I wouldn't want to, but we would look bad if you went through all that trouble for nothing. So welcome back to the team! Please don't do anything idiotic...

3nYceHf.png

Jeb: Of course I wouldn't! This flying house is very safe I promise!

------------------------------------------

Big thanks to @Socraticat for the plane ideas! I guess this is the end so bye!

On 7/31/2023 at 5:55 PM, Watermel00n said:

PFFJFNH.png

These weirdly shaped mountains are a result of "polar pinching", where a planet's texture is distorted significantly at the poles.

Ah yes. Polar pinching is the reason why I do not make terrain past 60° or use ice caps instead for my planet pack, it’s so hard to avoid and looks so ugly. Thankfully due to the way trigonometric functions work this only seems to get significant past 50°N. I never knew that it was called that, i used to say “polar distortion”

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.