0.1.3.1 is Using the Executable KSP2_x64.exe to Force KSP2 to Start Through Steam.

Zabby

Reported Version: v0.1.3 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 6 Core | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 | RAMCorsair LPX 32gb

Game will not launch when using the launcher but loads when using the .exe in steamapps/common/Kerbal Space Program 2

Included Attachments:

2023-06-2213-13-45.mp4

Ksp2.log

Yeah so instead of fixing this launcher issue the devs decided to make the .exe open the launcher and this still isnt fixed. So now I literally can't play the game at all? Great Job Thanks

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: Flight Plan, Maneuver Node Controller, Speedy Startup | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz 4.20 GHz | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM32 GB

After the new 0.1.3.1 hotfix I'm unable to start the game directly. I have to go through steam, the PD launcher and then I can finally start KSP2. I really hope this is unintended and will be fixed.

I just want to start KSP2 like I did with KSP1 for years, without steam and without a launcher.

Included Attachments:

Edited by Anth12

Reported Version: v0.1.3.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i9 9900K | GPU: Nvidia 3070ti | RAM32GB

What Happened for 0.1.0.0 + 0.1.1.0 + 0.1.2.0 + 0.1.3.0:

Spoiler
  1. The person opens KSP2 via the executable (KSP2_x64.exe) in the installation folder (whether in steam or not)
  2. The executable runs KSP2 for the folder contents that the executable is located.

My setup:
I have 5 folders that hold the first 5 versions.
The first 4  executables all run KSP2 for the folder contents that the executable is located.
The last one is my steam installation.

What is Happening for 0.1.3.1:

Spoiler
  1. The person opens KSP2 via the executable (KSP2_x64.exe) in the installation folder.
  2. The executable looks to steam to start KSP2.

Let me give an example of what I do (Bug Testing):
Sometimes I will look to previous versions of KSP2 to see where a bug started happening.

If this happens in every version 0.1.3.1 and over the following will happen.:
So let's say we were up to 0.6.1.0:

1. I decide I want to test 0.1.3.1 by using the executable in folder separate to steam.
  2. The 0.1.3.1 executable points towards steam.
  3. Steam starts 0.6.1.0 instead of 0.1.3.1

How do I test previous versions?
How do I easily bug test stock KSP2 when I want to use mods for playing KSP2 normally at the same time?

Problems for People with Modded Installs:

Spoiler

In KSP1 people have multiple installs for different type play like the following examples:

• One for stock play
  • One for normal Mods
  • One for RSS (Real Solar System)
  • Possibly even a version that they are using to test mods so they don't break their most important installation of KSP1.

How can they do this with no ability to have separate installs?

Conclusion:
How I use KSP2 is unusual but people with modded installs this is where the problems are going to be.

Edited by Anth12

• Community Manager

Yesterday's v0.1.3.1 Hotfix that was released on Steam accidentally included Steam's built-in DRM due to a misconfiguration on our end. KSP2 is DRM-free, just like KSP1.

An update was just pushed Steam to address this. Sorry for the headache!

4 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I don't see a 1.3.2 hotfix?

Its an update for steam only, it's technically not a 1.3.2 update because the changes are only steam side, no lines of code of the game were changed. 

Edited by Strawberry