[1.12.5] Supplementary Electric Engines

On 8/9/2023 at 1:57 AM, triple cheeseburger said:

Also, question; would you prefer if I released the resistojets and fuel tanks as an update and then released the arcjets once they're done later on as their own update? Or should I just stick with the plan of releasing all these parts in one major update?

I personally think it's better to release resistojets and tanks as an update. Those little things look so cute!

7 hours ago, NiL said:

I personally think it's better to release resistojets and tanks as an update. Those little things look so cute!

Alright, once I finish the fuel tanks I'll release them and the resistojets as an update. Arcjets can then come in the update after that. Apologies for it taking awhile, I've been working on other stuff (some of which is KSP modding related) at the moment but I should have the time to get back to this soon :)

• 3 months later...
On 7/19/2023 at 10:56 AM, triple cheeseburger said:

Awesome suggestions!

image.png

From what I've read arcjets have very different performance from resistojets, I was thinking to have them be a separate part. Could be unlocked slightly later in the tech tree or something, I feel like if they were unlocked at the same time then it would render the resistojets even more useless. And yeah I agree, if I were to include water as a fuel option I would go and add a few small water tanks. With liquid fuel I was thinking of people who don't have stuff like cryofuels installed and thus wouldn't be able to use things like liquid hydrogen. Though I suppose if the engines can use water and the mod includes water tanks then that eliminates the need for a liquid fuel option.

Cold gas thrusters are a neat suggestion, I was thinking about them a bit. Though they don't really fit the namesake of the mod (since they're not electric)... but I suppose I can make an exception (or rename the entire mod lol). Using liquid oxygen as a propellant is a cool idea - could maybe add it as a propellant option for resisto/arcjets too. Not sure about the tweakable thrust mode for CG thruster - can't really think of many use cases where it could come in handy and might just overcomplicate things.

So so far my current ideas for parts are something like this:

Cold gas thruster - has an engine and RCS version. Small and extremely cheap, but pitiful ISP. Propellant options include:

• Liquid oxygen (default option probably)
  • Liquid hydrogen (slightly higher performance, but comes with the downsides of dealing with LH2)
  • Liquid methane (sure why not)
  • Water (although I suppose if liquid oxygen is available then it makes water a little bit useless, because liquid oxygen on its own is quite cheap - which is sort of what I was thinking with this option. Plus having some fuel tanks specifically for one mode of operation for an engine seems a bit weird so idk actually)

Resistojet - Similar to cold gas, but has slightly improved performance. Takes a small amount of electric charge. Can also use all the same propellants as the cold gas thruster can. Still comes in both engine and RCS forms.

Arcjet - An improved version of resistojets that is unlocked later on in the tech tree. Has a good ISP (around 2,000 seconds probably) and retains the multi-fuel options of its predecessors. Could maybe have RCS versions too?

I have not heard of monoprop ion engines, so I suppose I'll need to look into them a bit. If they look interesting though and could fill a niche I don't mind considering adding them to the mod.

Ooh, I know an Atomic Rockets screenshot when I see one.

If you're still working on this mod, I'd love to see if I can write an RO patch. Something that is always missing from RO is more options for advanced electric engines, especially resistojet and arcjet thrusters. Maybe even microwave electrothermal thrusters too. Nice work on the models/Waterfall patch!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea for an electric engine: railguns. It would fire USI metals as propellant or maybe even solid oxygen pellets since theyre magnetic. Since its firing macroscopic solids the propellant is irrelevant to the isp. The universal containers have very bad dry mass ratio so a custom tank would be needed wheather they need special pellets or not. It would start at 700s isp but could be made longer like the fresnel from fft at the cost of increasingly prodigious amounts of electricity consumption.  The plume could look something like the pulses on the antimatter catalyzed microfusion engine where theres a brief streak of red. If used in the oxygen pellet mode it would be green, fading to red at the ends. i dont know what color iron would be. This engine could be useful in places with low volatiles like metallic asteroids or sunblasted planets where hydrogen for propellant isnt available. It could use the same engine chargeup mechanic as the lithium fusion engine where it has to keep going to remain on. I suspect it would be more efficient than other electric engine since its not wasting energy turning the propellant into plasma and fires all of it directly behind.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again everyone... recently I have been in the mood to play KSP again, and I decided I'd see if I can actually finish this mod. So I've been hard at work and have made some new thingamabobs for people to play with.

Supplementary Electric Engines v1.1 is out! You can download it here

v0Ct1FO.png

rplsmRA.png

bEiaD5r.png

I retextured and remodelled the Pulsed Plasma Thrusters, now they are closer in line to the proper Nertea artstyle. I also went and remade the resistojets for the third time, since the previous models were really quite bland. The resistojets run on monopropellant and have an Isp around 400 seconds, I also made an RCS version... I still have a few more engines planned, my list currently includes the arcjets and a FEEP (field-emission electric propulsion) thruster. All the stats are figured out, all that's left is to actually make the things. So hopefully that does not take too long... apologies this took awhile, I was doing other non-ksp projects. I hope you can enjoy! Feel free to post any cool screenshots you take with the engines, and give feedback if you have any.

Edited by triple cheeseburger

On 2/2/2024 at 1:21 AM, Pxtseryu said:

this will drastically affect the cubesat economy 

cube-what? I use them to make low gravity personal transport aka flying chairs :D

P.S. by "low gravity" I mean that type of gravity when you can run into orbit or jump into escape trajectory, warranty void if used on the Mun.

Edited by Manul

Progress update

Hello! I've been working on the Field-Emission Electric Propulsion (FEEP) thruster and its fuel tanks recently. This engine uses liquid caesium as a propellant, has an Isp of 10,200 seconds, produces 0.8 kN of thrust, and takes in 40 ec/s.

uTUB1pn.png1jaSa7y.png

xp3UsQ0.jpegBVkIsIA.png

The engine has a beautiful green plume (disclaimer: I don't actually know what colour plume you'd get with caesium, I think it would be blue/cyan, but I'm not entirely sure. I've always wanted more engines with green plumes in KSP, and green is way more unique than cyan with this sort of stuff so green it is. Perhaps the propellant contains some amount of some other chemical that turns it green, who knows). The (relatively) low power cost and high Isp can make this engine attractive for situations where you need lots of delta-v, but the thrust is somewhat lacking. More importantly, caesium is very pricy - even more so than xenon. So you'll have to be careful with its use if you're in career mode (caesium is also extremely reactive and explodes violently when it comes into contact with water, but that's for the Kerbals to worry about).  Oh also, the actual caesium resource is a part of the mod - you won't have to download community resource pack or anything for this to work.

Next on the list is the arcjets (a 0.625m engine and a 1.25m engine, and a set of RCS thrusters). Once those are done I'll release them and the FEEP stuff as an update.

Thank you for your time.

On 2/5/2024 at 7:45 PM, triple cheeseburger said:

Progress update

Hello! I've been working on the Field-Emission Electric Propulsion (FEEP) thruster and its fuel tanks recently. This engine uses liquid caesium as a propellant, has an Isp of 10,200 seconds, produces 0.8 kN of thrust, and takes in 40 ec/s.

uTUB1pn.png1jaSa7y.png

xp3UsQ0.jpegBVkIsIA.png

The engine has a beautiful green plume (disclaimer: I don't actually know what colour plume you'd get with caesium, I think it would be blue/cyan, but I'm not entirely sure. I've always wanted more engines with green plumes in KSP, and green is way more unique than cyan with this sort of stuff so green it is. Perhaps the propellant contains some amount of some other chemical that turns it green, who knows). The (relatively) low power cost and high Isp can make this engine attractive for situations where you need lots of delta-v, but the thrust is somewhat lacking. More importantly, caesium is very pricy - even more so than xenon. So you'll have to be careful with its use if you're in career mode (caesium is also extremely reactive and explodes violently when it comes into contact with water, but that's for the Kerbals to worry about).  Oh also, the actual caesium resource is a part of the mod - you won't have to download community resource pack or anything for this to work.

Next on the list is the arcjets (a 0.625m engine and a 1.25m engine, and a set of RCS thrusters). Once those are done I'll release them and the FEEP stuff as an update.

Thank you for your time.

ohhhhh theyre beautiful.... 

So what would be the use case for FEEP over the HISNAP and under driving it? the tiny nuclear reactor makes 60kW so xenon would make more thrust there. It looks light so maybe for missions where power is really low it would save weight? Maybe since it uses very dense liquid metal it could get better mass fractions? The resistorjets seem to not be any better than ants due to lower mass fractions and xenon has it even lower.

edit: but if the mass fraction would be made better we would run into the same issue but with why pick xenon over clusters of these. NFP itself runs into the same issue: why would i ever pick the DAWN after unlocking the NEXT?

Also i think the old PPT texture looked better.

Edited by EnderiumSmith

Hello once again... Unfortunately I have gotten a bit burnt out on KSP modding for now, so it might be awhile until I get back to this. However...

Supplementary Electric Engines v1.2 is out!

This new update includes the FEEP thruster, its fuel tanks, and some minor tweaks here and there. Since these were already finished I figured I'd release them as an update. Still not 100% sure about the balancing with these, so any feedback is welcome. The FEEP thruster and its fuel tanks also include support for Community Tech Tree.

• 2 weeks later...

Here are some crafts I've built using this mod

Xl25xQU.png

This one looks military but it's totally harmless

ArntWqg.png

.... or not so harmless

Spoiler

iSFRdI9.png

p7XJVH6.png

Still have no fancy name for this ugly creature:

Spoiler

MujTRj6.png