Weekly Challenge #22 Korolev Cross design challenge!

• Community Lead

Challenge14_KorolevCross_Landscape (1).png

We've seen you add more boosters, but how well can you subtract more boosters?
Primary: Stylishly decouple at least four radial boosters simultaneously from an orbit-bound rocket. Keyword stylish. We want pretty pictures.
Secondary: Stylishly decouple at least six radial boosters split across at least two stages (fuel crossfeed encouraged)
Jeb: Yo, we heard Jeb likes decoupling boosters, so we need you to decouple boosters from your decoupled boosters so you can stage while you stage.
Val: Perform any of the above while launching from a celestial body other than Kerbin.

Well ... My boosters had boosters... technically.

kzIVuVi.png

I had 3 boosters on each of my outside sections and 4 on the final stage.

As the ship lifts all the fuel drains out of a stage sitting underneath the tuba, which is then dropped. The rest of the fuel quickly empties from the boosters and they then separate when they run out of solid fuel.

The 4 inner did not have the additional fuel, and they go flying off to the side.

The rest separate as well, but the added weight makes the angle less dramatic.

As a result those 4 fly off dramatically, while the other 12 make a weird cloverleaf.

Dropping 2 lifters are pretty boring by comparison. And since I had way too much fuel, the sustainers make it all the way to space with plenty of fuel left on top of the ~7k the minimal tuba stage had.

Since we were going for pretty pictures, I didn't bother dealing with any sort of functionality requirements. I put some boosters on wings attached to my boosters, to boost them away in an interesting pattern. 
Likewise, while I could wait for the boosters to be empty after I was just about in orbit (which I did do),  It ended up looking way more cooler to separate them just after take off.  My rocket didn't quite make it to orbit because of this, but since it was un-kerbeled, what's the harm in the name of science and art.  What do you think?  I am still working out how to get this rocket to another planet or moon to try for the Val goal.
363382500_6668984686457170_6168931140028
363307051_6668984789790493_1411187170973

And here is a top-down view:

362999979_6668985173123788_4059761752972
363296189_6668985343123771_4743566038149

But, the coolest is to see it all happening in real time:

https://www.facebook.com/100000371147328/videos/pcb.6668985576457081/668898095136383

Edited by Chris Windle

On 7/21/2023 at 1:00 PM, Nerdy_Mike said:

Primary: Stylishly decouple at least four radial boosters simultaneously from an orbit-bound rocket. Keyword stylish. We want pretty pictures.
Secondary: Stylishly decouple at least six radial boosters split across at least two stages (fuel crossfeed encouraged)
Jeb: Yo, we heard Jeb likes decoupling boosters, so we need you to decouple boosters from your decoupled boosters so you can stage while you stage.
Val: Perform any of the above while launching from a celestial body other than Kerbin.

Well... I didn't understand the instructions... so I guess I will sit this one out.

After floating through deep space for some time now, I can say that some coordinates and adventures are more fraught with krakenous terror than others. As captain and leader of my Kerbal crew, I can't in good conscience send more Kerbals off for interplanetary missions while R&D is still unsure why rapid-unplanned-disassembly and navigation errors persist. HQ has limited the "OneOscar" program to local missions around Kerbin. The crowds stopped showing up for the airshows... the people want more than the Mun. They want it all...

Since everyone is scheduled and waiting for clearance to travel to Jool, most of the Kerbals are on Holiday, spending time with their loved ones and fur babies (yeah, some are kapybaras), reading the constellations and enjoying the terrestrial joys of being miles away from large quantities of explosive substances.

Meanwhile, Bob, proud of his resolve and dedication to the scientific process, is the only one on the launchpad today. He's on a mission to show that the "OneOscar" program, while laying low in anticipation of a great breakthrough in QA, is ready- on call and broadcasting support for all things kerbal.

FLY SAFE

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2023 at 7:51 PM, Chris Windle said:

Since we were going for pretty pictures, I didn't bother dealing with any sort of functionality requirements. I put some boosters on wings attached to my boosters, to boost them away in an interesting pattern. 
Likewise, while I could wait for the boosters to be empty after I was just about in orbit (which I did do),  It ended up looking way more cooler to separate them just after take off.  My rocket didn't quite make it to orbit because of this, but since it was un-kerbeled, what's the harm in the name of science and art.  What do you think?  I am still working out how to get this rocket to another planet or moon to try for the Val goal.
363382500_6668984686457170_6168931140028
363307051_6668984789790493_1411187170973

And here is a top-down view:

362999979_6668985173123788_4059761752972
363296189_6668985343123771_4743566038149

But, the coolest is to see it all happening in real time:

https://www.facebook.com/100000371147328/videos/pcb.6668985576457081/668898095136383

I'm not sure what madness I just witnessed... I think your separation had more thrust than most lunar missions, and about as many wings as all of them combined :D

On 7/26/2023 at 9:19 PM, Socraticat said:

After floating through deep space for some time now, I can say that some coordinates and adventures are more fraught with krakenous terror than others. As captain and leader of my Kerbal crew, I can't in good conscience send more Kerbals off for interplanetary missions while R&D is still unsure why rapid-unplanned-disassembly and navigation errors persist. HQ has limited the "OneOscar" program to local missions around Kerbin. The crowds stopped showing up for the airshows... the people want more than the Mun. They want it all...

Since everyone is scheduled and waiting for clearance to travel to Jool, most of the Kerbals are on Holiday, spending time with their loved ones and fur babies (yeah, some are kapybaras), reading the constellations and enjoying the terrestrial joys of being miles away from large quantities of explosive substances.

Meanwhile, Bob, proud of his resolve and dedication to the scientific process, is the only one on the launchpad today. He's on a mission to show that the "OneOscar" program, while laying low in anticipation of a great breakthrough in QA, is ready- on call and broadcasting support for all things kerbal.

FLY SAFE

Well, that was definitely ticking the pretty box - Nice!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.