How to get science from surface deployed experiments?

I want to get science from surface deployed experiments, but they don't work as expected. I read in the wiki, that the order of placement is important, but what I ever do, the generated science doesn't get transmitted. I tried several placement orders, but it was always the same. Sometimes I've got messages, that the science couldn't be transmitted, because there's no connection to Kerbin, but even if I placed the experiments on the Mun and don't get this message, the transmitted science was always at 0%.

I found out, that I can take the science with a scientist, when I pick up the experiment, but this works only as long the experiment is running. If it reached 100%, I don't get the science, when I pick it up.

Can someone explain me, what I have to do in this situation? Or is this something, what happens only in sandbox mode? I know, in sandbox mode the science collection is irrelevant, but I want to do it for a challenge.

Edited by DennisB

Could you take a screen shot of your setup, with each gui window open and not overlapping or covering the devices (you can pin and drag them around).

Post it to Imgur and link to the image here.

I'm sure it's something non-obvious but fixable.

EDIT:

Oh I missed the Sandbox thing. Yes you get 0 science for everything in Sandbox.

If you want to play "Essentially Sandbox" but still be able to get Science points, do this:

1. Start a "Science" game
  2. Alt-F12.
  3. Click "Cheats" (not the arrow, the word)
  4. Near the bottom, where it says "Maximum", click "Technology"
  5. Close the window without clicking anything else :)

Now you have a sandbox game with all the tech tree unlocked.

Edited by Superfluous J

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.