Weekly Challenge #26 - Caveman Challenge

• Community Lead

Challenge27_Caveman_Landscape.png

Caveman Challenge!Technology go too far! Rocket no need big wing, or big tank, or big fire to go space. Make simple!
Only favorites tab parts allowed!
Ooga level: Go space.
Booga level: Go orbit.
Jeb level: Go Mun.
Val level: Go Duna.
'Member, only FAVORITE TAB parts! NO FANCY PARTS!

Favorite Parts
MK1 Command Pod
Small diameter inline methalox tanks
Terrier Engine
Swivel Engine
Hammer SRB
Small stack decoupler
Small radial decoupler
Small rounded nose cone
XS parachute

I did a thing - Duna.

More pictures: KSP2 Weekly Challenge #26 - ksp2 post - Imgur - and KSP2 Weekly Challenge #26 - Return - Imgur

I tried a few different iterations, but it got weird without struts - which were not a favourite...

There was a LOT of boosters to get it slightly off the ground, with a single swivel to provide some control.

At its peak there were 13 lit Swivels for a short while. The main lifting stage used 12, with 8 burning slightly longer.

Then it switched to the last 4 outer ones, which was plenty to get me swinging past Ike.

The main body managed to land standing up. Our local cave man hopped out for the compulsory flag. And then had to soar to some extreme heights.

I discovered that you CAN boost that high. You look up at a ~45deg angle and boost both up and forward at the same time.

The flight back involved waiting YEARS for a good transfer window, and I resorted to getting a timewarp mod as I was only in a 100km orbit. That would've taken hours of waiting.

Finally I did a few braking burns to around 140km above kerbin, then 100, then 80. I yolo'd it in from there, forgetting you need to actually use the atmosphere to slow down.

So my final landing was FAR away from the launch site. I angled the ship to slow the descent, and managed to land on a beach.

wRxxzSU.png

Spoiler

ZAHBmXT.png 

MOgVF1K.png  

Migywgw.png

T0ND8yX.png

IdnFnqu.png

fuJSndc.png

Edited by PyroSA

7 hours ago, PyroSA said:

The flight back involved waiting YEARS for a good transfer window, and I resorted to getting a timewarp mod as I was only in a 100km orbit. That would've taken hours of waiting.

There's got to be a fix for this incoming, right? Warping for a window is impossible if any vessel is in orbit. What a great post! I can't imagine don't want to imagine the maneuverability of that thing in the Vacuum.

My Week #26 Submission:

Anyone that follows me knows that the copyright police are probably on my tail. DJ Sleeper is one of my favorite mix artists. I bought his mixtape "Counting Cavemen" back in 2010 and it's been a soundtrack for the exciting times of my life since. I was elated when this challenge gave me a reason to shout out my favorite mix! It's the perfect companion for a great morning/day/night. (Jokes aside, my copyright record on YT is clean/ accounted for).

Link->"GO LISTEN TO DJ SLEEPER'S COUNTING CAVEMEN ON SOUNDCLOUD"<-Link

If you want a sample of the work and some Kerbal shenanigans at the same time see the video below,

Caveman Boogie to the Mun

I'm a little bummed about the delay. Catch 22 situation- I'll be happy for it when the time is better.

Edited by Socraticat
strikethrough

6 hours ago, Socraticat said:

There's got to be a fix for this incoming, right? Warping for a window is impossible if any vessel is in orbit. What a great post! I can't imagine don't want to imagine the maneuverability of that thing in the Vacuum.

The ship was surprisingly maneuverable. I've built some solid steam ships over the years that can barely turn... By the time it was in orbit those outer tanks were almost empty.

When it landed on Duna the long rocket was down to about 1/3. I pumped all of this to the lowest tank to help it balance.

As for the time thing - another way to do it is to use a separate vehicle that is landed - just spawn a kerbal in a chair, and run it forward at max speed.

With the mod, the max speed broke the game - It glitched my orbit and I was out of Duna's gravity. The max modded speed is higher than the game supports normally.

I don't thing this week's challenge was very difficult, just brute force everything with little rockets and pray you don't need any struts.    369869182_6765387750150196_3862593476382
Until all the booster are gone...
369219304_6765387290150242_5812179232056

Setup a rendezvous with the Mun...

369348057_6765387143483590_3384379046100

Smoothest first time landing on the mun without even needing a retry.  Val was sure happy to plant the flag:
369057779_6765387386816899_4261942213104

Not a lot of fuel left for the voyage home, but in the spirit of Cavemen components, who needs a heat shield, just point at Kerbin and use up all of the fuel.
369017539_6765387013483603_3368279335862

Even with all of the fuel spent, I still was on target for splashdown at the KSC, just overshot it a little.

369020545_6765387736816864_5204957583499

Got to hand it to those small parachute packages...they really do the job perfectly for a return trip to Kerbin in a  one-Val capsule.  nice gentle landing, let Kerbin do all the work

369271593_6765387763483528_8949799867689

Next stop, Duna!