Mirror symmetry broken on some parts (RF-AD-SL-2500, Mammoth-II and some science parts)

ShadowZone

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.3.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22621 64-Bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (24) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (24340MB) | RAM65459

When surface attaching RF-AD-SL 2500 (Mk3 to MD adapter) in mirror symmetry, the part supposed to be in symmetry ... isn't (see screenshot).
It does attach correctly when using radial symmetry.

This does not happen with other slanted parts (MD>SM, LG>Mk2).

Included Attachments:

BUG128.png.0780eb6fef821cd4ada9e78a9bcf7b70.png

Edited by Spicat

6 answers to this question

@Abelinoss and @mattihase, merged your bug report.

I analysed this bug a little bit and I will try to explain my understanding (I hope I didn't get anything wrong).

First of all, mirror symmetry in ksp is not a real mirror symmetry, it's just rotating the part for 180° (Both in ksp1 and ksp2). Each part as what I will call an "identifying feature" that is the thing that lets us know which side is the part. Thus, that explain why some parts are not rotated, because it would make an identifying feature on the "wrong side".

Take the Mk1 "Tin Can" as an example. If we take the window as an identifying feature, the game as the right symmetry:

Spoiler

vz6n4cG.png

But now if we take the ladder as the identifying feature (that's not the case in the game), we have to rotate the part:

Spoiler

UzeWQLb.png

The symmetry will be correct for the door/ladder but not for the window anymore.

So in the game, currently, the identifying feature would be the window for this part. If we decided that the identifying feature would be the door/ladder, the part would be rotated wrong. Thus, asking for some parts orientation to be changed could be considered feedback. (For the tin can, there is not a right or wrong direction, it's a choice)

But, I tried to list the important ones that are objectively the "wrong" direction:

• RF-AD-SL 2500
  • ASCM-B "Little Sniffer"
  • RGSCM-01 "Science Jr. Jr."
  • RSCM-01 "Sample Grabber"
  • OSCM-01 "Mini-Lab"

Parenthesis are the identifying feature

• S3 KS-100 "Mammoth-II" (Preburner exhaust pipe)
  • LV-2000 "Trumpet" (Little buttons and side pipe)
  • LV-1000 "Cornet" (Ball)
  • LV-N "Nerv" (Nuclear icon and side pipes)

For the science parts, the bug is pretty obvious:

Spoiler

HHgZQNc.png

And for the other parts, in my opinion, they are in an appropriate direction (at least if I didn't forgot some of them).

Edited by Spicat

To expand on my initial report:

It also happens when you create a subassembly with a normal Mk3 tank part and add the slanted part to one of the normal tank's nodes, then attach that tank (it being the root of the subassembly) in mirror symmetry to your main stack.

And it happens when you have some parts in mirror symmetry and add the slanted tank to a node of the already mirror attached parts.

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 6-core Processor | GPU: NVIDEA GeForce RTX 3060 | RAM15.91GB

I was constructing a rather odd vehicle, unfortunately, I had to stop because this part didn't behave as it should

See attachments for a video with the exact build process

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1039965578754007060/1177279870380814466/2023-11-23_17-09-41.mp4?ex=6571ee51&is=655f7951&hm=85712fc200629b2e888dd2303d67f7b8e0f53e7e3481798e3066337ff3d76f64&

image.png

Video:

Edited by The Space Peacock

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: Micro Engineer | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: i7-10870H | GPU: RTX 3070 | RAM16GB

Some parts do not appear to properly observe mirrored behaviour. Happens both when attached by node or attached radially.

Included Attachments: