Surface collision not even with terrain mesh

Anth

Reported Version: v0.1.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i9 9900K | GPU: Nvidia 3070ti | RAM32GB

What I think is happening:
One of the developer videos mentioned Decals. They seem to be out of place when outside a certain range when Loaded.

TerrainColliderProblemDiagram.png.d57be697f255732e057cfb6f81320c45.png

Loading a Craft Down the Hill Means Craft up the Hill (and Outside a Certain Range) can Sink into the Terrain

Spoiler

Video Evidence:
https://youtu.be/khFkmkdrI6g

Note for the replication steps:
Step 7+ shows Saving and Loading corrects the terrain.

Steps to Replicate:

1. Load KerbalOutofRangeofRover.json
  2. Press [ to change to the rover
  3. Turn off the brakes
  4. Move the rover into where the video shows until it sinks into the surface
  5. Then move it backwards back to where its not sinking
  6. Stop it using brakes
  7. F5
  8. F9
  9. Turn off Brakes
  10. Move forward

Loading a Craft Up the Hill Means Craft Down the Hill can End Up Higher than the Terrain:

Spoiler

Video Evidence:
https://youtu.be/wqU4qzisO7c

1. Load KerbalOutofRangeofRover.json
  2. Change to Rover
  3. F5
  4. F9
  5. Change to Kerbal
  6. Move Kerbal forward until it hits an obstacle.

Example of Rover Falling into the Planet Because of the Same Bug:

Spoiler

Game loaded at the rover down the hill and out of range of the eventual fall point (Falls)
https://youtu.be/XOQgb5em7gM (Can skip to around 50 seconds)

Game loaded at the Kerbal Near the Fall Point and switching to the rover (Correct)
https://youtu.be/TK339-BPNho (Can skip to around 54 seconds)

Attached Save File:
Rover488mFromDropOffPoint.json

Additional Information:
There's a Reaction Wheel in the rover if it ends upside down from the game bouncing it when changing to it.

Edited by Anth12

• 1 month later...

Reported Version: v0.1.3.2 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

It randomly causes the vehicle to either sink into the ground a bit and hit an invisible obstacle, or launch it into the air. Or both. See video of my short excursion. It's impossible to explore the solar system on wheels, on any terrain with that happening.

Repro steps:

1. build anything with wheels.

2. go anywhere outside of KSC mesh.

Included Attachments:

why.mp4

Edited by Anth12

• 4 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 | RAM128 GB DDR5-6000

After landing on Kerbin, I found the surface collision to be not matching the visible surface mesh. In this case, the pod appears to be floating above ground and the shadow confirms this. When I sent my Kerbal out on an EVA to walk around the capsule, he fell through a hole in the ground. We have no known tools to fetch the coordinates of where I landed so the map view screen shot is the best I can provide.

Seems I can't upload 3 separate images so I combined them into a single image and reduced the size until it fit under 20MB.

Included Attachments:

KSP2Teraincollisionandmeshnotthesame(threeimagesinone)under20MB.png.455efe7282e00fa0781ed3d7a15469ce.png

Edited by Anth12

Yeah, this happens with almost all planets I've seen. Sometimes I'll reload a save and my craft will be below the surface. I've also seen instances of them only falling slightly through the surface (On Laythe) and Kerbals just hovering on the surface. Not a great bug for someone who likes making bases.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G | GPU: GTX 1050 Ti | RAM16GB

I was trying to do an EVA on jool and bill and his capsule suddenly clipped into the ground, bill let go and now he's falling to jool's core, someone help pls

Included Attachments:

KerbalSpaceProgram22023_10.30-10_50_29_01.mp4

• 1 month later...