Looks like someone broke Johannes' orbit tessellation code

WatchClarkBand

Reported Version: v0.1.4 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Home | CPU: Intel Core i9-13950HX | GPU: nVidia GeForce RTX 4080- Laptop GPU | RAM32GB DDR5

Shot a probe around Jool. Found that in map view, the tessellation would break down depending on view angle and I'd get even segments of the orbital lines instead of a continuously smooth curve. I wouldn't be surprised if the original implementation wasn't performant, but it looks like it's not tessellating consistently now. Did someone try to refactor this code and miss some test cases?

Game looks and performs a lot better overall, nice work on the last patch.

-Paul Furio

Included Attachments:

20230831115252_1.jpg.5ced8eb5494b64e4f1143af173b2d953.jpg

Edited by Spicat

• 3 months later...

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X | GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070 | RAM32 GB DDR5

Still reproducible around Jool.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Arch Linux (via Steam Proton Experimental) | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX | RAM2x16 GB DDR5 @ 6000 MT/s

Enter a highly-eccentric orbit around any body (my attached video uses Jool with an AP of 2,400,000 km and a PE of 10,000 km). Centre the camera on the parent body in map view and angle such that the entire orbital ellipse is visible.

Expected result: The entire orbital path should appear as a smooth ellipse.

Actual result: The ellipse segment near the apoapsis appears smooth, but near the periapsis there are visible, jagged lines.

Included Attachments:

EllipseBug.mp4