[1.12.5] Sterling Systems v0.4.9 [Sep 22, 2024]

JadeOfMaar

18 hours ago, Ariel Kerman said:

I only use Kerbalism for the Radiation stuff. My advice is to create a simple profile in the Kerbalism Settings folder disabling anything else, and use another simpliest LS mod like Snacks! for the actual funny...

I use Kerbalism Science Only.

I noticed that this added some antimatter tanks, are you ever planning on creating sweet antimatter engines? That field seems to be really lacking in mods, and it'd be so cool to see 2.5M-5M torch engines! Maybe I'll finally be able to make my own avatar-esque ships :D

44 minutes ago, Souptime said:

I noticed that this added some antimatter tanks, are you ever planning on creating sweet antimatter engines? That field seems to be really lacking in mods, and it'd be so cool to see 2.5M-5M torch engines! Maybe I'll finally be able to make my own avatar-esque ships :D

Can't guarantee "sweet" (as that's subjective ;) ) but I have plans to redo the existing one and add 3 more (one of which is a lesser kind).

12 minutes ago, darthvader15001 said:

Ztheme?

Yes.

I noticed that Sterling tanks store D/He3 at a 2:3 ratio, instead of the 1:4 used in engines & fusion pellet production. Is this intentional? It makes balancing the resource amounts on ships somewhat inconvenient.

1 hour ago, eschnak1472 said:

I recently tried to install this mod, but it keeps throwing B9 part switch errors. Here's the error, is there a way to fix this?image.png?ex=668c83ba&is=668b323a&hm=479

Do you have EPL installed? This looks like there is a B9PS tank type for MetalOre, but no MetalOre resource in the game. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Caliperstorm said:

I noticed that Sterling tanks store D/He3 at a 2:3 ratio, instead of the 1:4 used in engines & fusion pellet production. Is this intentional? It makes balancing the resource amounts on ships somewhat inconvenient.

No, it's not intentional. Aaaaand Rational Resources has this too. You can go to GameData/SterlingSystems/Tankage/zPataches/B9PS_PillTankOptions.cfg, line 240 and edit the ratio values there.

12 hours ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

Do you have EPL installed? This looks like there is a B9PS tank type for MetalOre, but no MetalOre resource in the game.

Perhaps SimpleConstruction is causing this. It brings EL with it but as it dodges the use of MetalOre resource it chooses to have EL not define that resource, therefore, the fatal error.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

First of all, I love this mod. I'm so happy with it! I'm excited to see ISRU chains for fissionable materials. I'm curious as to why you didn't do Enriched Uranium until there was ISRU chains, but I'm not bothered by it.

Is it normal for the Stackable Film Radiator's red film to flicker? It always happens to just one radiator. I'm not sure if this is something you're aware of, or something I need to get a log/mod-list together for you. But it's a constant flickering. It happens in flight and in the VAB. I've posted a .gif below. You can actually notice the other radiator flickering through the scaffolding as well.

https://imgur.com/a/9QlbR8w

@Xithyl515 Thanks. Glad you're happy. I'm trying to avoid Enriched Uranium because its use in-game largely implies the use of nuclear reactors that use solid fuel rods that can't be pumped around are a big issue when they're spent.

It's normal for the film radiators to flicker. This is due to, probably, how thin and close the meshes for the visuals are and that they use two transparent materials. If I had access to a custom shader with the specs I needed, I could have just one mesh for visuals and then the flickering would be gone.

@JadeOfMaar Would it be possible to introduce a setting to disable the radiator effects? Or make them opaque? The flickering is pretty much constant and is getting on my nerves. I'm not sure how other people feel about it. Could I edit a file to get rid of the effect entirely?

1 hour ago, Xithyl515 said:

@JadeOfMaar Would it be possible to introduce a setting to disable the radiator effects? Or make them opaque? The flickering is pretty much constant and is getting on my nerves. I'm not sure how other people feel about it. Could I edit a file to get rid of the effect entirely?

Based on his explanation above, you would probably need to edit the model files to make the faces opaque/set further apart. That would be a pretty large endeavour if you haven't done it before.

Edit: Please disregard this post; it is incorrect.

Edited by KspNoobUsernameTaken

2 minutes ago, KspNoobUsernameTaken said:

Oh, that's how you got the effect. That'll be useful for my project.

How does this fix the faces being close together?

How I produce the effect is:

• The glow effect mesh is already thin, say 0.1m deep. This uses a stock emissive shader, just like plume particles do.
  • The rain mesh is even thinner, say 0.04m deep. This uses the practically unknown stock scrolling unlit (non-emissive, no specular) shader. This mesh is what the ModuleB9DisableTransform config is targeting to always hide.

Due to both of these meshes being super thin and very close, and/or possibly an inherent problem of multiple transparent shaders being layered, you get something akin to Z-fighting. The annoying flicker. If someone could make a certain complex scrolling emissive shader then I wouldn't need to have multiple meshes to represent a film curtain.

On 7/17/2024 at 5:46 AM, JadeOfMaar said:

an inherent problem of multiple transparent shaders being layered

Yeah. All my experiments with having a canopy shader and a HUD glass shader failed because they don't interact well with each other.

On 7/16/2024 at 11:46 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Due to both of these meshes being super thin and very close, and/or possibly an inherent problem of multiple transparent shaders being layered, you get something akin to Z-fighting. The annoying flicker. If someone could make a certain complex scrolling emissive shader then I wouldn't need to have multiple meshes to represent a film curtain.

Did you think in Waterfall? It would be more complex to implement, but the meshes interact very well with each other even with multi-layered plume designs

2 hours ago, Ariel Kerman said:

Did you think in Waterfall? It would be more complex to implement, but the meshes interact very well with each other even with multi-layered plume designs

I've thought of Waterfall but I was deterred by the idea of the complexity that Waterfall would add. Complexity that was perceived by my observation of what had to be done for Blueship's warp bubble effect to work and that my radiator models are complex or tedious (with their loop temp and emissive options) full of things that are offset from the global center/origin. I wasn't too inclined to face that.