Megastructure ALPHA-II

Mikki

Looks like that rover-platform-thing might not work as a landing pad after For Science! comes out, just because of engine heating (probably?) being a thing- I'm assuming that adding thermal means not just reentry but all parts now. A regular, ablative heat shield could be used (but would eventually run out and be heavy in the meantime), plus I think their abilities will be nerfed since ablator was OP in KSP1. If inflatable heat shields are added too, (would love to see more sizes) those could be used and the cone shape would help direct the craft onto the very center. Or they could just add landing pad parts. You know, build a SpaceX barge.

Edited by Kimera Industries
Page 2? Will do!

@BechMeister Hi there, thank you for your review of my personal KSP2 blog, i have read your missionreport for the first time last weekend and there are indeed some fun similaritys. There isn`t much to do anyway at this state of the software, so people are doing quite the same stuff all across the forum. I have an optimized Win11pro install with just the necessary stuff to run games, it`s not that beefy but very stable and the I7 CPU goes up to 4.56 Gh watercooled with a common RTX 3060. Nothing special really.

I focus on the large parts in the moment, this may well change when science comes; i`m actually fond of lowpartcount vessels and weight optimized crafts...

Very glad to see inspiring blogs like yours, many people here are awesome anyway! :D I am very curios how other people go to space and love a good read what`s going on and how decisions are made to progress.

@Kimera Industries Hi Ky, i hope the thermal update won`t break my ongoing crafts to much, that`s right... I excpect this forum to go nuts after the next update, like my Kerbals... :D OMG the barge you mention is such a crazy idea, thank you!!! Pad parts should be a thing in KSP2 indeed, since hurling up dust and rocks near other infrastructure is known to be a problem in RL, i hope we get some sophisticated construction elements like this... The roverplattform is serious idea which i will test on Mün and Minmus, if i can get it up there somehow... I`ll see...

Yeah - I am not too good at "leaving the house". I spend most of my time in my own bubble... but your visit was what prompted me to check out what you were doing x) 

Oh yeah I am racing to fuel up my stations - so when patch comes I'm ready to do something meaningful with branching out of Kerbin SOI

I am currently playing at sub 1 digits FPS when I get near my stations. But I guess that's what I get for playing on a laptop :D 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI, i7-9750H CPU and 16gb of ram. It was a pretty good gaming laptop back in 2019. But its age is definitely showing.

6 minutes ago, BechMeister said:

Yeah - I am not too good at "leaving the house". I spend most of my time in my own bubble... but your visit was what prompted me to check out what you were doing x) 

Oh yeah I am racing to fuel up my stations - so when patch comes I'm ready to do something meaningful with branching out of Kerbin SOI

I am currently playing at sub 1 digits FPS when I get near my stations. But I guess that's what I get for playing on a laptop :D 

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 TI, i7-9750H CPU and 16gb of ram. It was a pretty good gaming laptop back in 2019. But its age is definitely showing.

I can imagine from your signature... a laptop is not that optimal for KSP in general, i have pieced my desktop PC together myself, this one is from 22 with parts from 20 and 21, and it runs fairly well with cheap 16Gb DDR3 (!) ram. KSP2 is the only thing i can play meanwhile, i lost any interest on other software except maybe flight simulator, but FS is boring now somehow...:rolleyes:

15 minutes ago, BechMeister said:

With the fear of cluttering your Mission Report, I have one final remark.

Have you checked out the small indie game Flight of Nova? It might be for you, as it somewhat bridges KSP with flight simulators x)

Don`t worry, thank you for pointing me at this! I`ll keep an eye on this, looks like a more realistic space flight sim than the usual stuff :).

5 hours ago, Mikki said:

I'm actually fond of lowpartcount vessels and weight optimized crafts...

Me too! I love it when a tiny little craft has a ton of deltav. It's very satisfying, but it does have to be tiny because otherwise, the engine will be too weak and then I get bored during maneuvers.

5 hours ago, Mikki said:

Pad parts should be a thing in KSP2 indeed, since hurling up dust and rocks near other infrastructure is known to be a problem IRL, I hope we get some sophisticated construction elements like this...

With colonies, I'll bet we (at the very least) get the ability to mark out landing zones. In the trailer, it looks like there are landing pads by the more advanced colonies. There are landing pads at the KSC for SpaceX-type shenanigans, but... come on, drone barges!

As far as PCs go, I can't afford to build my own and my current one was given to me out of pity because my laptop is 32bit, Windows 7. Yes, all of that is true- had I not been saying how bad my laptop was at the right moment, I wouldn't be playing KSP right now. My PC is still old, but it's more like a mammoth if my laptop is a dinosaur. Plus, KSP is one of those rare games where the FPS doesn't stop your experience (much). :whatweneedisashruggingemoji:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.