[0.21] Hooligan Labs - Airship, Submarines and More

Hooligan Labs

My Eve Kethane Mining Rig

I spot four propellers...how the heck do you power them? I've tried making large transport airships myself, but it seems impossible to produce enough electricity for the propellers.

Let me rephrase my question so it can stop being mis-construed and jumped on, "Will this mod be updated as i enjoy it quote a lot and think Hooligan Labs makes some of the best textured mods out there", that is what i was getting at, thank you and good night.

I spot four propellers...how the heck do you power them? I've tried making large transport airships myself, but it seems impossible to produce enough electricity for the propellers.

Last kethane version has an generator who burn kethane for electricity. You also have some large static solar pannels in some mods, cover the ship in them.

I do indeed power them with kethane generators. They require so much power it needs 3 running to keep it going.

Just want to say how much I love this mod and share one of my current projects that I am making with it!

:cool:

Not sure yet if it works for 0.21, but the firespitter prop engines are the best for airships. I use em as main drive system on 100% of my airships.

I love them too. One of my pre-made airships that is included with the download uses the electric prop for getting around Jool.

My Eve Kethane Mining Rig

Sometimes it seems Eve was made for airships.

Yea I'm waiting on my mods to update. Hopefully they will all update today. Does this one work still in .21?
I know it just came out, but any eta on when these mods will be updated to .21?
Never ask that.

No, those are fair questions. I haven't had a lot of time, but I have tested a bit in 0.21 with no problems. If anyone has any issues, please share.

Yes Eve is defiantly made for airships.

Quick question: By looking at the data about the different envelopes am I interpreting it correctly that it would take 8 Ray class envelopes to generate the same lifting capacity of 1 Cirrius class envelope?

No, those are fair questions. I haven't had a lot of time, but I have tested a bit in 0.21 with no problems. If anyone has any issues, please share.

My opinion of you was already high but it just went higher, thank you :cool: and keep up the good work and thank you for the update :)

Yes Eve is defiantly made for airships.

Quick question: By looking at the data about the different envelopes am I interpreting it correctly that it would take 8 Ray class envelopes to generate the same lifting capacity of 1 Cirrius class envelope?

Keep in mind those 8 rays would weigh 1.2T more than a single cirrus, so you'd need more than just the same volume..

not quite sure if this is the thread to do this in, but i am having some issues with the GUI for the balloons, i have B9 areospace, Mech Jeb, ISA mapsat, Crew Manifest, H.O.M.E star tpack, K.A.S. , Firespitter, HL Airships, and KW rocketry. the parts show up for the airship mod, but the GUI seems not to be functioning properly.

not quite sure if this is the thread to do this in, but i am having some issues with the GUI for the balloons, i have B9 areospace, Mech Jeb, ISA mapsat, Crew Manifest, H.O.M.E star tpack, K.A.S. , Firespitter, HL Airships, and KW rocketry. the parts show up for the airship mod, but the GUI seems not to be functioning properly.

Can you give us some specifics there? Not functioning properly how? Not showing? Not lifting? Writing is in Crillic, and a pretty rainbow color?

Id starts looking at your other mods, take em out one by one see if it solves the issue. A fair number of people have used the envelopes post 0.21 and had no issues, that makes it seem like maybe something else you have installed is not playing nice.

What version of ISA are you running? Because the dev build had alot of issues in 0.20, and really not sure if the older version (3.whatever) will work properly anymore with some of the api changes squad made.

Release 2.2.0: The Realism Update. :0.0:Download from KSPort!

- Airship envelope volumes recalculated!

- The Cirrus now expands to be much larger, reflecting what its deployed volume should be!

- Based on recent graphene research, mass has been recalculated to be much less!

- The plugin now appropriately handles the difference between kilograms and metric tons. As a result, envelopes have far less lift per volume than they did before.

- Now there is a new variable in the part.cfg files, envelopeVolumeScale, which allows parts to have lift similar to what they used to. This has been set to a default of 40, as in it has the lift of an envelope 40 times larger than it.

- Added a new "Real" Cirrus part as an example of setting the envelopeVolumeScale to 1.

- Overall, expect less performance from the envelopes than before. Much less from the rigid envelopes.

The undeployed Cirrus is the same size. How much bigger is the Cirrus when deployed now? Big!

AwzXpw2.jpg

1B6gHOB.jpg

For example, here is how much the Cirrus lifts the with the volume scaled by 40:

bb1Nw2m.jpg?1

172 tons to 2km altitude.

This is how much it lifts with a "realistic" buoyancy (scale of 1):

DkY97dB.jpg

3 tons to 2km altitude.

I'll share more soon.

So now there is no point going to Duna.... Update the lift table please then.

Try it and find out? :D

I will update, I'm trying out doing this with a Wiki page. Note that the airship envelopes themselves weigh much less, so for conservative airship designs you should still be fine.

The physics are still the same, so expect to lift, say, 1/6th as much on Duna as on Kerbin.