Game Crashing On Attempting To Launch Craft Onto Launchpad/Runway

NaughtyMonster

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045 64-bit | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (8019MB) | RAM32683

Clicked the "Launch" button, the image of my craft started to appear on the runway, then the game froze for a second or two before crashing to desktop. First time I've experienced this.

After reloading the last autosave I reloaded the same craft and tried to get it to the same runway, with the same result; crash to desktop.

I reloaded the game again and this time, via the KSC and then the Tracking Station (the option to go straight to the Tracking Station from the VAB was greyed out), I went to check if the racing rover I'd left near the start of the southern taxiway was okay, it wasn't, it had vanished completely, along with its kerbal.

Trying to send the same "Track Safety" craft to the runway for the 3rd time gave the same crash to desktop.

Tried loading the previous autosave and then loading the same craft to in the VAB and sending it to the runway; got the same crash behaviour.

Reloaded the last autosave (as in the one I'd tried initially) and then loaded and re-launched the vanished racing rover to the runway, this worked fine.

Reentered the VAB, deleted the Track Safety car and workspace and rebuilt it from scratch. Produced the same crash to desktop behaviour.

(On reloading I notice the game is loading into "Windowed" rather than the Fullscreen I have set as default - reset this in Main Menu settings, quit game, reloaded, now works in fullscreen - I mention this just in case it hints at a known issue).

Repeated loading of the same rebuilt car, launched to the other runway; same crash.

Was able to load game and launch a couple of other craft to the runway without issue.

Upon returning to the VAB I now find I am unable to load the problematic Track Safety  rover.

I've added the rebuilt Track Safety craft that will no longer load too.

(The last time I used linuxgurugamer's BugPackager - https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KSP2_BugPackager  - someone posted an oblique comment that seemed to suggest the "log" files it generated and included were of little use to someone interested in seeing what had happened. If this is the case then can someone tell me the location of the log files that may be of more use?)

Included Attachments:

TrackSafety.zip

GameCrashedwhileloadingcraftontoRunway1_logs.zip

Edited by The Space Peacock
for clarity

@NaughtyMonster the main 'ksp2.log' file is found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2

there is also a second, generally less informative but still usefull log called 'player.log'. it's found here:

C:\Users\**USERNAME**\AppData\LocalLow\Intercept Games\Kerbal Space Program 2

If you want me to include these logs into this report, feel free to submit a new, empty report containing only the logs and tag me in the title. i'll make sure they find their way into this one :)

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Repro steps:

-Load the attached save

-Launch it, anywhere.

-Observe crash

I tried working around with it, the craft is completely bugged, but can't tell why. When trying to separate the modules before launch, it sorta works, but after reverting the other modules have vanished.

Included Attachments:

basey.json

autosave_2.json

Player.log

50 minutes ago, Anth said:

@NaughtyMonster and @The Aziz 

Do you have more information on how you assembled the crafts to start with? They were most likely bugged from a specific action.
One action I have seen that could cause that is changing the root part to a surface attached part.

I'm still investigating on my own, sometimes when I launch and revert it's fine, sometimes the assembly get thrown into some kind of 0,0,0 coordinates in VAB (like, all of the parts go there). Even after rebuilding from scratch.

7 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I'm still investigating on my own, sometimes when I launch and revert it's fine, sometimes the assembly get thrown into some kind of 0,0,0 coordinates in VAB (like, all of the parts go there). Even after rebuilding from scratch.

Weird. Inconsistent results is something I wouldn't have expected from this bug.

2 hours ago, Anth said:

Weird. Inconsistent results is something I wouldn't have expected from this bug.

I should've worded it better: I'm trying to rebuild the assembly that caused the crash, and after adding parts to it, sometimes it reverts to a singularity, sometimes not. So I'm in the process of figuring out at which point it starts to happen.
It's like adding mods one by one searching for errors, except it's parts.

I tried a little amateur bug-sleuthing of my own.

I started with an un-bugged rebuild of the craft that had caused the problem:

UnBugged.png?rlkey=77ogb1rxlpq8f4c9w64pc

Then I set the Grumble seat at the Root Part and Launched it to the runway without any issues.

= = =

Then I reverted it to the VAB and this is what came back:

Reverted-Grumble-Root.png?rlkey=vgdp5e8j

So I tried loading the save file that I'd Re-Rooted the Grumble in and this is what appeared. The missing panel is displaced by several meters but the two struts remain attached.

Reloaded-Grumble-Root.png?rlkey=0uwj8zim

Gregson Kerman volunteered to try Launching it to the runway and this is how it arrived:

Half-Craft-Launched.png?rlkey=pf78fim2b2

It doesn't seem to know it's only got two wheels.

On Reverting to VAB it lost the struts and the panel elements were eager to be re-rooted.

Reverted-Again.png?rlkey=dhmdabgyrukq7rp

That's my lot for tonight. Let me know if you think it's worth my continuing to dig. Cheers for your work in this department.

@The Space Peacock Thanks for the info.

On 10/31/2023 at 6:52 AM, The Space Peacock said:

@NaughtyMonster the main 'ksp2.log' file is found in:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program 2

Looking at this file I can see a line near the beginning saying "Log started: Wed, Nov 01, 2023 15:23:23" (which is the last time I launched KSP2).

Is a new log created and the old one replaced each time the game is launched?

So I'd need to copy it straight after a crash?