'Structural Failure On Linkage' Randomly Happens During Flight, Destroying The Craft

Spacefan101

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: windows 10 | CPU: ryzen 7 2700x | GPU: rtx 2060 6gb | RAM16gb 3000mhz

Randomly after launch while flying in the upper atmosphere this craft has a tendancy of blowing up on its own due to a random structural linkage faliure. To recreate it take the craft which I've put in the craft file part, turn on precise control (caps lock), launch and do a standard gravity turn, while in the upper atmosphere theres a high chance that a structural linkage faliure will happen and your entire craft will blow up

Included Attachments:

Craft.txt

Spicat Edit:

Here the related bug report talking about the flight report popping even if the command pod is still intact:

Edited by Spicat

15 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Scarecrow71 said:

@Anth

I wonder if this is related to, or maybe similar/the same as, the bug I reported regarding failing decouplers (structural linkage) that is here:

If so, it might be better to merge these reports.

No, its not that since I don't have any launch clamps on my craft and it also doesn't happen when I press launch, here's the info I get when it happens image.png?ex=655499ea&is=654224ea&hm=854

Further investigating ig that such an attachment of the landing gear bugs the game out image.png?ex=65549b3f&is=6542263f&hm=e72

On 11/1/2023 at 11:16 AM, Spacefan101 said:

No, its not that since I don't have any launch clamps on my craft and it also doesn't happen when I press launch, here's the info I get when it happens image.png?ex=655499ea&is=654224ea&hm=854

Further investigating ig that such an attachment of the landing gear bugs the game out image.png?ex=65549b3f&is=6542263f&hm=e72

There's a lot of problems with the combination of landing legs, low orbits and timewarping/undocking/reloading/extending; 

your situation is somewhat different and more closely related to this report however. It seems that for some reason certain part configurations (radially attached boosters do this a lot in my experience, for example) will cause a random 'structural failure' to happen, sometimes on the pad, sometimes in flight, and the game will instantly take that as the whole craft being destroyed even if the control point is still intact. definitely one of the more frustrating bugs out there

i'll change the title of the report a bit to make this more apparent, if you dont mind

Edited by The Space Peacock
typo

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 10.0.22631 64-Bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-Core Processor (24) | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (24340MB) | RAM65459

Load the save game from the bug package right after starting up the game. It will result in disintegration of the vehicle. Load the game again and suddenly everything is fine. See also video.

Included Attachments:

ForSci_Bug46.mov

ForSci_Bug46_logs.zip

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: Community Fixes; Flight Plan; Interplanetary Calc; K2D2; Maneuver Node Controller; MapView Focus and Targeting; Node Manager; Space Warp | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12-Core Processor 3.09 GH | GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM32 GB

Built a craft to head to Moho, which included 6x Launch Clamps radially attached.  Click Launch to go to Launchpad, and the craft is immediately destroyed with a message indicating that there is a structural failure between the decoupler and the tank.  Clicking "Revert to Launch" from here sends you to an orbital view of Kerbin, but there is no craft and you cannot go into Map View (or return to the launchpad from here).  The only way to get out of this view is to hit Escape and then Revert to VAB.

Removal of the launch clamps allows craft to be placed on launchpad and be launched.

Screenshots:

VpgoWXf.png

jeZAOWW.png

Included Attachments:

MohoI-I.json

Edited by The Space Peacock

As an update to this report, I can confirm that the decouplers fail in all stages of flight, regardless of whether or not you have used launch clamps.  I've seen them fail:

• Prior to the start of the gravity turn
  • After the gravity turn has started
  • Just after reaching suborbital flight
  • Just before burning to circularize in orbit
  • During the circularization burn
  • During stage separation
  • Just after the circularization burn has happened

I can provide log files for any/all of the above if necessary.  I cannot overstate how badly this issue needs to be fixed as it makes building and launching large craft from Kerbin nearly impossible; I shouldn't have to revert to launch a dozen times just to get to orbit with a craft that shouldn't be destroying itself simply because it has radial decouplers on it.

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970 | RAM16.0GB DDR3

what i think happens:
shuttle collides with the supports that it randomly collapses

steps to replicate:

1. press spacebar once craft is loaded up

2. wait a few seconds

3. vessel should collapse

Included Attachments:

2023-11-1114-21-03.mp4

NewWorkspace.json

So I've done some testing on my end on this, and for what it's worth...

...I have noticed that this happens A LOT when you clip struts.  Even a singular clipped strut will cause the structural linkage to fail.  I've found that this rarely happens when you don't have clipped struts.  And to be fair, it could be happening with any clipped parts...but I've noticed it on clipped struts.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 Home 22H2 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | GPU: MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4080 16GB GDDR6X PCI Express 4.0 | RAM128 GB DDR5-6000

What happened:
While running tests with a heavy craft to test landing on Kerbin with parachutes and LT-3 Landing legs attached to ST-XS-4 girders, during free fall in Kerbin atmosphere at 5990m (Sea) altitude and 145 m/s (Surface) speed, the "linkage" between these two broke. No parts were actuating at the time. The ship was rocking back and forth in the wind is all. There may be some clipping between this part and the inflatable heat shield, but the heat shield was deflated long before the linkage broke. Not all of them break. In this run, two of them broke. Previously, only one broke. There are 24 on the ship.

Included Attachments:

16 hours ago, Spicat said:

@ShadowZone, moved your bug report here, I think this is a more appropriate bug report for your report to be merged in.

Not sure the previous one it was merged with or this one apply. It happens really just right after loading up the game and then loading a save game with a craft that is prone to kill itself. You can see in the video that the game still slowly builds up the vehicle, making the parts appear over the first couple of seconds and then destroying itself. My assumption is that the game is still loading some physics stuff in background and once it is finished, it all applies at once to the vehicle, overloading it. Reloading the save always fixes it. Always. And it never happens afterwards, even with hours spent using that vehicle, hopping from it to others, docking vehicles to it. It only happens right after starting KSP2 and directly opening this save file.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.