After lithobraking and aerobraking comes torchbraking

Vl3d

30 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

The weakest point here is, I don't believe the ISV Venture Star was designed to survive the atmospheric reentry, despite them not actually going for a landing but hovering to drop cargo.

They can slow down enough before atmospheric entry. With those engines the only problems are radiation and shock waves when hovering to skycrane.

On 11/6/2023 at 4:11 PM, Wheehaw Kerman said:

As I have said, I look forward to landing a Putt-Putt-drive craft (at (other players’) KSC once Multiplayer drops).  That big pusher plate will probably allow pretty high speeds at landing…

Done it with mod orions in KSP 1, more fun it was an medusa using an huge sail to catch the blast. Would not work in reality as the wires and sail are measured in kilometers and would probably take days to pack down. 
The pusher plates had an cylinder in the center making them unpractical to land on 
You need other engines for the touchdown but you need that for fine adjustment to orbits anyway. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.