Unintentional Airplane Drifting! How do I stop it?!

Go to solution Reply by Bej Kerman,

I’ve built quite a few successful planes but this tentacle of the kraken gets me each time. I’m on the runway, ready to take off and as I’m increasing throttle my plane starts to to doughnuts and drifts until it either hits a lake or the wing hits the ground and in a poof of fire, P.A.I.G.E is telling me I came in too hot. I really would like to know how to stop it and to all those who help me in my KSP 2 journey I will be eternally grateful. :)

Maybe too much thrust applied? There is a G-force indicator aside the Kerbal portraits. Landing gear has an optimum on spread and load too, and oscillation induced by excessive SAS input can hurl your craft around aswell. 

There are many things to consider.

You can find excellent plane building tutorials in the KSP 1 Forum, you may have to go way back a few years though, they still apply in KSP2.

And welcome to the Forums!:D

Edited by Mikki

• Solution
On 11/26/2023 at 7:32 AM, InterStellar_HomingPidgeon said:

I’ve built quite a few successful planes but this tentacle of the kraken gets me each time. I’m on the runway, ready to take off and as I’m increasing throttle my plane starts to to doughnuts and drifts until it either hits a lake or the wing hits the ground and in a poof of fire, P.A.I.G.E is telling me I came in too hot. I really would like to know how to stop it and to all those who help me in my KSP 2 journey I will be eternally grateful. :)

It sounds like either your rear wheels, your center of lift, or both are not close enough to the center of mass. If your rear wheels are too far back, they'll push into the surface instead of allowing the aircraft to raise its nose. If the center of lift is too far back, aerodynamic forces will prevent your aircraft from acquiring an adequate AoA for takeoff.

Ensuring your front wheel extends further down than the rear ones also ensures that your aircraft passively gathers lift as it accelerates.

You can also decrease the friction control and brake force on the front wheel as well if you still have problems with the aircraft spinning out, and if that's not enough you can do the opposite to the rear wheels.

On 11/26/2023 at 8:11 AM, Mikki said:

Maybe too much thrust applied?

There can never be too much thrust :D

Edited by Bej Kerman
Fixing mistake

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.