Orbital Survey [v0.9.4 for KSP2 v0.2.1]

Falki

6 hours ago, Kerbal410 said:

do locations for vessels like rovers show up when mapping?

See here: 

48 minutes ago, Spacecat2000 said:

Though I have a little something on my wishlist:   I currently have a surveyor sat in orbit around Gilly, and the ideal altitude is so high compared to Gilly's limit that the sat is actually 'below ideal' altitude still...   And with the measly orbital speed around Gilly (especially so close to its SOI limit), even a single orbit takes ages.
2 months later, I still haven't hit 25% covering for the region.

Sooo, the wish: Any chance you could notably reduce the ideal altitude for small bodies as you tweak the altitudes anew?   Perhaps improve the angle for region mapping (small bodies) just a notch?    That poor Gillysat would thank you dearly.

There are some compromises I had to make for Gilly as it's totally different (smaller) than any other body, but I didn't want to create a new BodyCategory just for Gilly, same as I didn't want to create a Jool-only BodyCategory. So the solution is that the Minimum altitude is really small for the Small category, it's only 60 km. You don't have to be at Ideal altitude to scan it; in fact you can't be since the SOI is only 126 km. You can be anywhere between 60 km (min) and the 126 km (SOI), so choose what's best for it. Take orbital resonnance into account also.

Why not make the ideal altitude lower for Small bodies? Because limited warp factors are unfortunatelly also a thing in KSP (why IG, why?! :)). If you take a look at the table here https://github.com/Falki-git/OrbitalSurvey/wiki/Celestial-Body-stats you'll see that Small bodies have warp factor x10000 unlocked somewhere between 160 km and 214 km. Since I wanted all bodies to be scannable at factor x10000 (except Gilly of course), Ideal altitude is set to 220 km.

So both Jool and Gilly are outliers and they take a lot time to scan. Good thing is that you don't have to be in control of the vessel while scanning. You can go back to the KSC or Tracking station, then increase warp to x10000 and see Gilly scanned a lot faster. It will still take a lot of in-game time to do it, but that's orbital mechanics for ya. I don't recommend higher warp factors than that because of a stock bug that doesn't handle EC usage well in super high warp factors.

This:

2 hours ago, Falki said:

Good thing is that you don't have to be in control of the vessel while scanning. You can go back to the KSC or Tracking station, then increase warp to x10000 and see Gilly scanned a lot faster.

seems to be the solution for this:

2 hours ago, Falki said:

Why not make the ideal altitude lower for Small bodies? Because limited warp factors are unfortunatelly also a thing in KSP (why IG, why?! :)). If you take a look at the table here https://github.com/Falki-git/OrbitalSurvey/wiki/Celestial-Body-stats you'll see that Small bodies have warp factor x10000 unlocked somewhere between 160 km and 214 km. Since I wanted all bodies to be scannable at factor x10000 (except Gilly of course), Ideal altitude is set to 220 km.

If you are going to the tracking station to warp anyway why require minimum height to be over 220km?

Edited by Superfluous J

On 2/16/2024 at 11:14 AM, Superfluous J said:

If you are going to the tracking station to warp anyway why require minimum height to be over 220km?

Because most of the time players won't go to KSC and then to the Tracking station to do mapping. They'll do it from Flight/Map view. So the user experience in Flight/Map view matters most. That's why scanning while at altitudes that unlock higher warp factors is important. (BTW Minimum altitude is 60 km. Ideal is 220 km.) Also, lower than 220 km would be too low for relatively bigger bodies like Ike and Dres, scanning area would be too small for comfortable scanning.

v0.9.1 "I Want To Paint It Gray"

E5lKFPH.png

:1437623226_rocket_1f680(3): Added a new config setting "Always show Map view overlay" - requested by @123man

• When toggled, it will always display bodies with a hidden visual overlay in Map view. This effectively makes all bodies hidden/textureless until you scan them.
  • This setting defaults to OFF so you need to toggle it in Mod Settings if you want it. Main Menu -> Settings -> Mods

Edited by Falki

@Falki Feature request:

When opening the Orbital View window from the taskbar:

• if any map data is available for the body the current vessel is orbiting, select that body as default. 
  • if only one type of map data is available for a body, select that map data type as default.
  • if both region and visual data are available for a body, select the first item as default (visual).

If you click "View Map" from a comms part in the Parts menu, this is already done for you. But I frequently open Orbital View from the taskbar instead of browsing parts to open it from the Part menu. 

Every time I open Orbital View, I have to select my current body, and then select the map type.  The clicks add up. This would be a great quality of life improvement for me!

Edited by rogerawong

On 2/15/2024 at 11:18 PM, Falki said:

See here: 

guess I didn't read too deeply lol.

unrelated, but has anyone made a telescope parts mod that uses this or a similar mod as a dependency?

Edited by Kerbal410

Duly noted why the altitude has to remain high around Gilly, I accept that.

It's still pesky how easily a satellite scanned the surface image, but how it takes forever to get the regions since its altitude can't be ideal at all around Gilly...   I'm not looking forward to Bop and Pol.

So, apologies if I'm not letting go of that bone too easily but... Proposal to improve quality of life around those smallest moons: Any chance the angle of region scanning could be a half or a full degree broader for small bodies?   Orrr maybe reduce the penalty (only for small bodies, not for all)  if one is below ideal altitude?  - Just a compensation for the slower orbital speeds around those.

What do you think Falki?    

5 hours ago, Spacecat2000 said:

Any chance the angle of region scanning could be a half or a full degree broader for small bodies?

You can go to ..\Kerbal Space Program 2\BepInEx\plugins\OrbitalSurvey\patches\configs\ , open  _constants.patch with any text editor (notepad, word...) and change Field Of View values yourself. Values are defined per part, so you'll be changing the FOV for any body. Then let us know how it works for you.

Still, I don't really see this as an issue since you can easily go to the tracking station and be done with it in a minute. I could increase the FOV values in general, if that will help. But other than that it's a change in logic that will take more time to do and it would add exceptions to the logic, which I'm not happy with unless it's for a strong reason.

v0.9.2 Map Body selected automatically

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):  Changed: on opening the map UI from the app bar, current body of the active vessel will be automatically selected. MapType will be set to Visual if nothing was previously selected - requested by @rogerawong
  • Fixed: styling of the "track vessel" button that broke with the previous version

Dev notes:

• Updated SpaceWarp.Template to the newest version (UI Toolkit Unity project is now bundled with the main c# project)

1 hour ago, Kayser said:

Feature Request: Can you make the chosen colors of the waypoints show also on the flight and map views?

Unfortunatelly no, game only supports the yellow one.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:04 AM, Falki said:

You can go to ..\Kerbal Space Program 2\BepInEx\plugins\OrbitalSurvey\patches\configs\ , open  _constants.patch with any text editor (notepad, word...) and change Field Of View values yourself. Values are defined per part, so you'll be changing the FOV for any body. Then let us know how it works for you.

Still, I don't really see this as an issue since you can easily go to the tracking station and be done with it in a minute. I could increase the FOV values in general, if that will help. But other than that it's a change in logic that will take more time to do and it would add exceptions to the logic, which I'm not happy with unless it's for a strong reason.

Ohhh, it can't be defined for small bodies only, gotcha!    I thought the FOV was more case-specific, my bad.

And thanks for the update!  Auto opening the body is a nice quality of life improvement. :) 

Edited by Spacecat2000

23 hours ago, Falki said:

v0.9.2 Map Body selected automatically

• :1437623226_rocket_1f680(3):  Changed: on opening the map UI from the app bar, current body of the active vessel will be automatically selected. MapType will be set to Visual if nothing was previously selected - requested by @rogerawong
  • Fixed: styling of the "track vessel" button that broke with the previous version

Dev notes:

• Updated SpaceWarp.Template to the newest version (UI Toolkit Unity project is now bundled with the main c# project)

All my waypoints seem to have disappeared. Could the update have caused that?

Would be neat to have a few more types of measurement maps you can do with specialized antennae to do it, such as weather or gas on atmospheric planets. With their own power usages, distance requirements, and rewards. Heck a communications satellite coverage network would be really cool.

This is one of my favorite mods so thank you, adds a lot to the game for me. Honestly between progression via satellite and progression via research I'm having a blast.

6 hours ago, KohasMods said:

Would be neat to have a few more types of measurement maps you can do with specialized antennae to do it, such as weather or gas on atmospheric planets. With their own power usages, distance requirements, and rewards. Heck a communications satellite coverage network would be really cool.

This is one of my favorite mods so thank you, adds a lot to the game for me. Honestly between progression via satellite and progression via research I'm having a blast.

For communications network, you can try the CommNext mod.

On 2/24/2024 at 10:41 AM, Kayser said:

Lost again today. Is there some issue with the saving/loading of waypoints?

There is, thanks for reporting it. I'll release a fix soon. It happens when you first start the game.

On 2/23/2024 at 8:00 PM, Bombaatu said:

Are there plans to add elevation map and/or anomalies?

There are plans for some other future update, yes

Edited by Falki

Thank you for the waypoint fix!

Any plans to help discover discoverables?

It could be e.g. a third mode which is more complicated than the others, e.g. requiring a Starlab or Mini-lab, very close orbit and small FOV.

Honestly any mechanic is more fun than looking up the coordinates on a webpage.

Edited by Kayser

13 hours ago, Kayser said:

For communications network, you can try the CommNext mod.

Ooo I had been running CommNetUtils to see the lines but I hadn't realized this mod existed! Thank you will definitely give this a go!

In my post I was moreso referencing the idea of providing "satellite coverage" to the denizens on Kerbin or something haha. Would be fun to set up a full network of satellites to try to keep as much planet in coverage at once as possible, but I realize that also doesn't really add a lot to the other planets/moons.

How does one change the scan mode from Visual to Region? I have my satellite in the appropriate polar orbit but I do not see how to switch the mode. In the mini map view the selector for Visual/Region just greys out the map with text "Awaiting scan data..."