Parachutes didn't deploy

Jeq

Bug Report

Reported Version: v0.1.5 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 

Parachutes didn't deploy staging them.

Vessel did drop over 200m/s second to water and survived

Edited by Anth

45 answers to this question

This is also happening to me, I think it might be related to crafts that have been docked/undocked prior to deploying the parachutes since it never happened to me when I built simpler crafts for easier missions. But as I made more complicated crafts with landers and whatnot, parachutes have never deployed properly since.

The only work around I've managed to find is to make a save, return to the main menu, and then reload the save. Reloading the save in game will not work, you have to quit to the main menu or quit the game entirely for this to be fixed via reloading.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 10 | CPU: Intel i7 | GPU: RTX 3050 | RAM16gb

Parachute consistently failing during physics warp despite conditions being safe to deploy (as if the parachute thinks you're going to fast and it cuts on deploy). Landing in water during physics warp at terminal velocity (I found this out because my parachute broke) does not seem to destroy the vessel and instead I ended up deep in water and floated back to the surface. Though I'm grateful this saved Valentina I'm pretty sure this is unintended behavior.

Included Attachments:

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 | CPU: i7 - 13700KF | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 | RAM63.84 GB

I was trying to achieve a precision landing as part of the tour mission, so I was dialing in the deorbit maneuver to try and get as close as possible. I made some successive saves and at some point the parachutes would no longer deploy when tried. There was one reentry where I got 2 of 4 drogues and 1 of 2 mains to deploy (after I first started noticing the issue) by manually toggling under parts (staging did not work). Thereafter nothing. I could have actually walked away from that landing, but because only one of the 2 mains deployed I ended up on my side and of course that was the side with the hatch. It now won't work at all in any of the saves I have regardless of what I do. I did not have time warp enabled at the time. Attached I have a copy of the craft and the save right where I would like to deploy chutes.

Included Attachments:

TestWorkspace.json

Save2023-12-274.json

OS: Windows 11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7500F | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT | RAM32GB DDR5

Coming back from the Mun, standard de-orbit trajectory. Despite everything I did (with settings below), my parachutes would not open, mashing spacebar included. I reloaded a previous save right before re-entry, and they worked flawlessly the second time. Not a major issue but still something to look into?

- Rachel

Included Attachments:

Radial MK16 parachutes don't work for me. What's weird is I was able to get one deployed by just arming it, but the other one which was symmetrically placed wouldn't deploy even if I tried immediate, risky or adjusted the values to deploy at 5000m. In this instance I was on a return trajectory from the Mun, Kerbin Ap of about Munar distance and a Pe of 32000m, little to no inclination. Hope this helps!

When checking I couldn't detect any damage to the parachutes, they both were fully functional and repacked. I'm really unsure where it went wrong. I can send my game save, not sure how to though.

Edited by Major_Melon
Not sure how to insert file?

OS: Windows 10 64-bit | CPU: AAMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8-Core Processor | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT | RAM32GB

on my vessel there are 6 parachutes, of which 3 properly deploy when i give the command. the other 3 do not react and cant be deployed. saving and loading does not fix the problem, quitting the game and loading also doesnt. the parachutes can be repacked afterwards. i didnt do anything to them beforehand so i dont know what might have caused it.

Included Attachments:

Edited by The Space Peacock

Posted (edited)

It seems that parachutes doesn't deploy for same reason as some stages needs double pressing to deploy. When you deploy parachute stage they doesn't deploy at first try but parachute stage is removed, if you make new stage now and move parachutes there, press staging again then parachutes deploys normally.

Video clips out just when i am gonna press space again to stage it, but now parachutes deploys normally when i do this.

Edited by Jeq

14 minutes ago, Jeq said:

It seems that parachutes doesn't deploy for same reason as some stages needs double pressing to deploy. When you deploy parachute stage they doesn't deploy at first try but parachute stage is removed, if you make new stage now and move parachutes there, press staging again then parachutes deploys normally.

“Some?” I'm not sure about that. Unlike the double-tap staging, chutes not deploying is inconsistent. Also, the solution is different as “trying again” doesn't work—or at least entails something different (making a new stage). The problem occurs when staging (not when not registering staging at the first attempt). It's not the link with space bar/button --> stage, but it's the stage --> chute link that goes wrong.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

“Some?” I'm not sure about that. Unlike the double-tap staging, chutes not deploying is inconsistent. Also, the solution is different as “trying again” doesn't work—or at least entails something different (making a new stage). The problem occurs when staging (not when not registering staging at the first attempt). It's not the link with space bar/button --> stage, but it's the stage --> chute link that goes wrong.

ok but anyways i did found that when making new stage for parachutes when 1st attempt failed parachutes starts to deploy normally. This is solution when waiting bug is fixed and this info might help finding reason of bug.

Edited by Jeq

7 minutes ago, Jeq said:

ok but anyways i did found that when making new stage for parachutes when 1st attempt failed parachutes starts to deploy normally. This is solution when waiting bug is fixed and this info might help finding reason of bug.

Yes, that sounds like a better solution than frantically deploying them one-by-one with RMB while plunging to the ground.

16 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

Yes, that sounds like a better solution than frantically deploying them one-by-one with RMB while plunging to the ground.

And clicking them one by one doesn't even seem allways work.

Reported Version: v0.2.0 (latest) | Mods: Flight Plan, Maneuver Node Controller, MapView Focus and Targeting, K2D2, Micro-Engineer | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Win11 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900 12 core | GPU: GeForce RTX 2060 Super | RAM: 32GB

Ran into this yet again today.  Had 2 pairs of radially set drogue chutes (4 total), and 2 pairs of radially set Mk16 chutes (4 total).  Entered Duna's atmosphere, and went to stage...and nothing happened.  Altitude was ~10km, and speed was ~300 m/s (both of which allow chutes to open on Kerbin, which has a far denser atmosphere).  Brought up PAM/PAW and tried to manually click on the chutes to open them, and they did not open.  Quicksave/Reload did not work; quicksave/restart did not work.

Please fix this.  ASAP.  Chutes worked under previous versions of the game, but it seems that since the issue with having to hit the space bar multiple times to stage this is a problem.  It is as if the command to deploy the chutes is either not created OR the variable isn't being accessed/processed.

Reported Version: v0.2.1 (latest) | Mods: none | Can replicate without mods? Yes 
OS: Windows 11 Pro | CPU: Intel 12th Gen Intel Core i9-13900K | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 | RAM64 GB

In the final stage of a flight, when I pressed the spacebar to deploy the parachute, the staging indicator switched from 1 to No Stages as expected, but the parachute did not deploy.
I was able to revert to an autosave and deploy the parachute manually by right-clicking on it and selecting the corresponding settings.

Note that I had flown a number of missions prior to this without having this problem.

Included Attachments:

New install of KSP2, returning from Kerbin orbit and experiencing this bug, MK16 parachute just will not deploy with staging, or manually trying to deploy.  Tried reloading, same result.  Reloaded again, staging wouldn't work, but was finally able to manually deploy the chute.  Same entry profile etc.