For Science! Deep Dive

Intercept Games

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:

I kinda wish (hope?) that these "discoverables" were (are?) randomly assigned on the surface so we can't just learn where they all are and just go to them every save.

What Nate said makes me hopeful:

There’s no way to predict what you'll encounter when landing at a new location

6 hours ago, Superfluous J said:

I kinda wish (hope?) that these "discoverables" were (are?) randomly assigned on the surface so we can't just learn where they all are and just go to them every save.

KSP1's Easter Eggs are nice but you can't really "discover" them twice  :)

The "learn" part is the tricky one. In KSP1 I have only "learned" where the KSC monolith was.

Besides, since when do the geological features move about? They're no different than Dres canyon or the Mohole.

1 hour ago, The Aziz said:

The "learn" part is the tricky one. In KSP1 I have only "learned" where the KSC monolith was.

Besides, since when do the geological features move about? They're no different than Dres canyon or the Mohole.

Are you telling me you can't imagine a world in which the Tylo Cave might not be in the same place in 2 different saves? Or the Mun arches? Or even the Kerbin monoliths?

The Dres Canyon and Mohole are not "discoverables" in the context I think the devs are talking about. These things are far closer in concept to the green monoliths that are on every planet in KSP1, and are in fact randomly placed based on game seed.

So far, the missions are the better (more enjoyable) part of science gathering.  The science experiments feel ... cluttered and bungling.  All the overlapping windows and popups are pretty unmanageable - a step backwards in implementation in many ways.

Overall, the update is very positive, though.  There are some funny parts to the writing, even if it feels very JRPG - think Chrono Trigger dialogue.  It's hard to argue with the performance improvements and heating just adds so much that's been missing since 0.1.  This patch really is a huge move in the right direction.

I'm really excited about the new science update  \o/  but yeah, what's up with the overlapping windows?  Why did someone not figure this out in play testing before the release?  In KSP1 we had a bunch of "Experimental" testers with all different configurations of computers testing the releases.  Is this not happening this time around?